Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
xxza
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Mogul
SU$: 31
What does "1X" mean?

While I was traveling this weekend, "Ev" changed to "1X". It took much longer to surf internet and battary drained pretty fast.

What does "1X" mean?
xxza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
PintaC
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Treo 700wx
SU$: 466
EVDO is surfing at almost broadband speeds. But it is not available for complete nationwide coverage yet. 1xRTT is the step below EVDO and is available in the areas where EVDO is not. Sprint is working on making EVDO all over their network.
PintaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
Trades: 2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,797
Short for single carrier (1x) radio transmission technology, a 3G wireless technology based on the CDMA platform. 1xRTT has the capability of providing ISDN-like speeds of up to 144 Kbps.
1xRTT is also referred to as CDMA2000

Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only, abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO and often EV, is one telecommunications standard for the wireless transmission of data through radio signals, typically for broadband Internet access. It is classified as a broadband technology, because it uses a broad band of radio frequencies. It employs multiplexing techniques such as CDMA (Code division multiple access) as well as Frequency division duplex (FDD) to maximize the amount of data transmitted. It is standardized by 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2) as part of the CDMA2000 family of standards and has been adopted by many mobile phone service providers around the world – particularly those previously employing CDMA networks (as opposed to GSM networks).

The EV-DO feature of CDMA2000 networks is significantly faster than the Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) used by GSM networks. It provides access to mobile devices with air interface speeds of up to 2.4 Mbit/s with Rev. 0 and up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), a competing technology for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (W-CDMA), along with the new Qualcomm Rev A modems have the ability to maintain both circuit switched voice and packet data calls from the same radio; this functionality is not available in Qualcomm Rev. 0 chipsets.

There have been several revisions of the standard, named alphabetically starting with the first as Rev. A ("revision A") while the first standard is referred to simply as Rev. 0.
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
clairegrrl
Cordless Phone User

Phone: EVO 4G
SU$: 616
Now Tom, please explain how the cellphone works.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
rasmasyean
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Treo 800w
SU$: 10,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc585
Short for single carrier (1x) radio transmission technology, a 3G wireless technology based on the CDMA platform. 1xRTT has the capability of providing ISDN-like speeds of up to 144 Kbps.
1xRTT is also referred to as CDMA2000

Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only, abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO and often EV, is one telecommunications standard for the wireless transmission of data through radio signals, typically for broadband Internet access. It is classified as a broadband technology, because it uses a broad band of radio frequencies. It employs multiplexing techniques such as CDMA (Code division multiple access) as well as Frequency division duplex (FDD) to maximize the amount of data transmitted. It is standardized by 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2) as part of the CDMA2000 family of standards and has been adopted by many mobile phone service providers around the world – particularly those previously employing CDMA networks (as opposed to GSM networks).

The EV-DO feature of CDMA2000 networks is significantly faster than the Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) used by GSM networks. It provides access to mobile devices with air interface speeds of up to 2.4 Mbit/s with Rev. 0 and up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), a competing technology for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (W-CDMA), along with the new Qualcomm Rev A modems have the ability to maintain both circuit switched voice and packet data calls from the same radio; this functionality is not available in Qualcomm Rev. 0 chipsets.

There have been several revisions of the standard, named alphabetically starting with the first as Rev. A ("revision A") while the first standard is referred to simply as Rev. 0.
Well…since we got an expert in telecom here…

Curious to what’s gonna happen when the 700 MHz TV spectrum opens?
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
Trades: 2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,797
You know what I love more than this forum......the people in it, lol.

Sorry to say but I am certainly no expert here, however I am an expert at googling, Which is where so much information can be found ( but not always). My previous post was not my own words but a cut & paste (hangs head down in shame) from a search. As for the 700MHz go here http://gigaom.com/2007/04/06/inside-...rum-land-grab/

And some light reading for clairgrll http://www.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone.htm

Last edited by tomc585; 08-06-2007 at 09:09 AM.
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
mas90guru
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Sprint EVO 4F
SU$: 671
Send a message via AIM to mas90guru Send a message via MSN to mas90guru Send a message via Yahoo to mas90guru Send a message via Skype™ to mas90guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxza
While I was traveling this weekend, "Ev" changed to "1X". It took much longer to surf internet and battary drained pretty fast.

What does "1X" mean?

It's a rating given to movies. Sometimes they are also referred to as XX or XXX - but they are all pretty much the same no matter how many X's. Hope that helps.
mas90guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
feo
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Galaxy SIII
SU$: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru
It's a rating given to movies. Sometimes they are also referred to as XX or XXX - but they are all pretty much the same no matter how many X's. Hope that helps.
You beat me to it

hehe
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Windows Phone > Windows Mobile (6.x and earlier) > What does "1X" mean?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: