Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Mr.Gecko
Telegraph User

Phone: Sanyo 8400
SU$: 523
Using Sprint in Canada

I'm planning a trip into the Great White North in a couple of weeks and I was wondering about a couple of things. Maybe a SU has had experience with this:

1) Should I turn off automatic updates for On Demand and turn on Net Guard?

2) What kind of roaming charges can I expect? (I have roaming included in my family plan but I think it is only good in the States.)

3) If I call my wife's cell phone from my cell phone while both in Canada will roaming charges be double? Should I bring walkie talkies?

4) Is it worth getting an international plan for the three or four times a year we visit the Land Up Over?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Mr.Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
rfra3645
Telegraph User

Phone: novatell u720
SU$: 252
im currnelty in saskatoon ca

i have been using my phone the whole time across the border.

the data dosnt work

i did get a cpl text messages

and i have been roaming the whole time..

im not sure if i will get raped on charges or not.

i think im allowed to use up to 1/2 of my minutes roaming. not sure it in canada is more or diffrent or what. but here i am .. lol.

ill post back when i get a bill.

gecko your trip was long ago. it looks like. what happend to you?
rfra3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
BrucePDA
Optimus User

Phone: Optimus
SU$: 25,250
From the Sprint website:
Quote:
International Roaming in Canada
Pricing Information International Dialing
Voice Pricing: $0.59/minute
Data Pricing: $0.002/kb

For International Roaming service call us at 1-888-226-7212 while in the US or +1-817-698-4199 while traveling outside of the US.
They have a plan though
Quote:
Choose the Sprint International Long Distance Plan to call other countries around the world at a low per minute rate for only $4.00/month. Per minute rates are as low as Mexico $.09; Canada $.09; UK $.06, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Japan; $.07, South Korea $.07, Philippines $.19 and India $.29 - anytime on your Sprint or Nextel Phone.
BrucePDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Mr.Gecko
Telegraph User

SU$: 523
Thanks for your replies. I was beginning to wonder if anyone on the forum ever travels across the border to our friends to the north.

I think I will turn off PV and only answer calls after I see Caller ID (if that's still free) & decide if I need to answer the call. For me the extra $4/month ($48/year) it doesn't seem worth it for the 3 or 4 times a year I travel north. Saving 50 cents a minute is good if I spent more time up there. Most the time I stay in Niagara Falls, Ont and I still get Sprint there pretty good. However, my trip in two weeks, will be in Toronto & Canada's Wonderland and it will be roaming. I'll bite the bullet and pay minute by minute & use walkie-talkies when I'm at the amusement park.

Hmmmm... $.09 for Canada; $.07 for Japan, Hmmmm...
Mr.Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
olddog
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Touch Pro
SU$: 2,141
You can take the international plan for a month or so, then drop it. My question is: are those rates for you calling from the US into Canada(ex: relatives) or for you to use the phone IN Canada. And what if you wanted to call someone back home from Canada? I'm thinking a call to Sprint would be in line. Just dont make too many calls to them!
olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
BrucePDA
Optimus User

And don't forget roaming may be in addition to those rates.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
letsgoflyers81
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 1,400
Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers81
I go to Canada a few times a year since my wife is from Montreal. I was always charged $.69 per minute for international roaming as well as $.50 per minute for long distance if it's an outgoing call. I see that the website now shows $.59 per minute as BrucePDA said, but I don't see anything about long distance on top of roaming. Data roaming only works on certain phones, and that can add up fast. I make sure not to use Vision at all when in Canada, it's just not worth it. If you call one Sprint phone from another while you're both in Canada, you'll get hit twice because you have two lines using airtime while internally roaming. For my use, getting the international roaming plan isn't worth it, but for someone who goes to Canada more frequently, it may be.

Luckily there are no additional charges for SMS in Canada, so I use that constantly to avoid larger bills.
letsgoflyers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Brooose
Recovering Phone Addict

Phone: EVO 3D
Trades: 39
SU$: 1,486
Send a message via AIM to Brooose Send a message via MSN to Brooose Send a message via Yahoo to Brooose
You can add the Canada Roaming Option for $3 and it reduces the per minute rate down to $0.30 including LD.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
PCSuser
Account Inactive

SU$: 491
I can tell you (at least my phone allows it) that you can text for no extra charge in Canada to US numbers. (but only US!)

And in the US you can text to US and Canadian numbers.
PCSuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
BrucePDA
Optimus User

So how much are you charged to text to a Canadian cell number while in Canada? And if you are on an unlimited texting plan?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
letsgoflyers81
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePDA
So how much are you charged to text to a Canadian cell number while in Canada? And if you are on an unlimited texting plan?
Here's what I've done: In the US, send and receive with US number. In the US, send and receive with Canadian number. In Canada, send and receive with US number. In Canada, send and receive with Canadian number. As I've mentioned before, I've never been charged for a single SMS since I have unlimited SMS on my plan no matter what situation I've been in as long as it involves the US and/or Canada. This has been true for an old family plan with grandfathered free SMS as well as a new SERO plan with free SMS>
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
BrucePDA
Optimus User

Thanks, that's what you told me in PM. I was just asking PCSuser based on his post.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
letsgoflyers81
Walkie Talkie User

Yeah, but I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else wasn't sure about the specifics.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Network & Data Quality /Airave & Related Services > Using Sprint in Canada

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: