Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
DJRider
Former SU Mod Grampus Misfire

Mood: Pensive
Trades: 8
My Mood: Pensive
SU$: 102,526
Briere leaves Sabres, cashes in big with Flyers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19493238

Briere leaves Sabres, cashes in big with Flyers

Center signs 8-year, $52 million deal to headline first day of free agency

Updated: 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Daniel Briere will never be undervalued again.

The skilled but undersized forward signed an eight-year, $52 million contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, immediately becoming the top player signed on the first day of the NHL’s free agency period and leaving the Buffalo Sabres without one of their co-captains.

The contract is heavily front-loaded, with Briere to make $10 million next season — double what he made last year. He’ll then make $8 million in the next two years and $7 million during the 2010-13 seasons. The contract then tapers off with Briere scheduled to make $3 million in 2013-14 and $2 million in the final year of the deal.

The Flyers outbid numerous teams that were interested in Briere, the former Sabres co-captain, who finished 10th in the league with 95 points (32 goals, 63 assists) last season. Buffalo could also lose co-captain Chris Drury, who also entered free agency.

“Danny had many offers and lots of interest out there,” said Pat Brisson, his agent. “He made sure to carefully look at his options. He is thrilled with the results.”

The Flyers continue to make the biggest splash this offseason with general manager Paul Holmgren attempting to retool what had been an aging and slow team that finished with a league-low 22 wins last season.

The Flyers already bolstered their lineup two weeks ago when they acquired defenseman Kimmo Timonen and forward Scott Hartnell in a trade with the Nashville Predators. Philadelphia then signed both to six-year deals: Timonen for $37.8 million and Hartnell for $25.2 million.

Briere will be reunited with friend and former teammate, goaltender Martin Biron, who was traded to Philadelphia by Buffalo in February and has since claimed the No. 1 job.

Briere broke off talks with the Sabres on Friday, unhappy after Buffalo offered him a five-year, $25 million contract. The offer averaged out to the one-year, $5 million contract Briere was awarded in arbitration last summer, leaving the player confident he could get more on the open market.

The new deal is a big step up for Briere, who earlier in his career was knocked for his slight 5-foot-9, 177-pound frame, and at one point placed on waivers by the Phoenix Coyotes.

A nine-year veteran, Briere emerged as a star shortly after Buffalo acquired him in a deal with Phoenix in March 2003. He has scored 92 goals and 138 assists for 230 points in 225 games with the Sabres, a big improvement after 70 goals and 76 assist for 146 points in 258 games with the Coyotes.

He appeared in his first career All-Star Game this season and earned the game’s MVP honors. He also produced in the clutch, scoring 10 game-winners over the past two seasons.
DJRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
See Ya! Let's hope you prove yourself to be worth the contract you signed!

I think the sabres need to re-think how they negotiate with players though, as Briere was willing to stay with buffalo last year at 5 years $25 million, but they refused to talk with him.

Regier has his work cut out for him this off-season.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
See Ya! Let's hope you prove yourself to be worth the contract you signed!

I think the sabres need to re-think how they negotiate with players though, as Briere was willing to stay with buffalo last year at 5 years $25 million, but they refused to talk with him.

Regier has his work cut out for him this off-season.
Yeah we have some work to do here on the island too. If the Islanders dont resign Blake and Smyth we are dead in the water again!

And the Rangers just signed Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2953

FREE AGENT CENTERS DRURY, GOMEZ JOIN RANGERS

Chris Drury, left, and Scott Gomez were among the best centers available in this years' free-agent market, making the Rangers one of the NHL's deepest teams at the pivot position.

7/1/2007

It was a big day for the Rangers as the 2007 free-agency period got under way on Sunday, bringing with it two of the league's best available centers. Joining the team are two Stanley Cup winners in former Buffalo Sabres co-captain Chris Drury and longtime New Jersey star Scott Gomez. These two, who combined for 129 points in 2006-07, are both famous for coming up with the big goal.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Dan
Forever my Angel

Well, the Sabres had better get to shopping for themselves and soon.

Drury will be missed alot more than Briere IMO.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Well, the Sabres had better get to shopping for themselves and soon.

Drury will be missed alot more than Briere IMO.
I agree, the Sabres definately took a big hit. I feel your pain since the Sabres are my second favorite team. I went to school as Brockport and always liked the Sabres since they are in NY. I have no use for the Rangers lol
Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
DJRider

Islanders take next hit!

http://sports.excite.com/news/07012007/v8604.html

Not a good day in NY for 2 hockey teams

Blake Signs 5-year, $20 Million Deal With Maple Leafs

Email this Story

Jul 1, 9:09 PM (ET)

TORONTO (AP) -The Toronto Maple Leafs signed winger Jason Blake to a five-year, $20 million contract on Sunday.
The 33-year-old unrestricted free agent had a career-high 40 goals last season while also adding 29 assists for a career-high 69 points in 82 games with the New York Islanders.

Blake, a four-time 20-goal scorer, will make $5 million next season, $4.5 million in each of the following two seasons and $3 million in the final two years of his deal.

The Islanders' top priority is keeping forward Ryan Smyth, who they acquired at the trade deadline from the Edmonton Oilers.

The Leafs were in need for a first-line winger to play with captain Mats Sundin and hope they've found it with the speedy Blake, who also is a good penalty killer.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
Dan
Forever my Angel

seems Snow and Nolan have their work cut out for them also................
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
seems Snow and Nolan have their work cut out for them also................
Symth and Blake both gone!

Seems they havent done their job since we lost our 2 top scorers. Its going to be a long season for sure!
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Arena > Hockey > Briere leaves Sabres, cashes in big with Flyers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: