Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Fox McCloud
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 2,858
Exclamation Unstable Signal Strength?

Ok, I just got my 3 Sprint phones today (Sanyo 8400, Sanyo M1, and Samsung Upstage), and besides the "locked out" problem I've recently had with the Upstage, everything has been great.

Anyway, called in and all 3 phones are supposedly in the process of being programmed for Power Vision, and it'll take until 1AM until that finishes.

Anyway, in the mean time, my signal strength seems to hop around a bit; in my living room I can have the max number of bars, then I walk to the kitchen (only 10 feet away) and my bars drop to 2...then it'll go back up to 4.

All 3 phone exhibit this behavior; is this normal?

I have an EVDO data card and it's in between the kitchen and living room, and it has the equivalent of 5 bars.
Fox McCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
tmidle8575
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung A900
SU$: 528
Send a message via AIM to tmidle8575 Send a message via MSN to tmidle8575
The bars are not the best indication of signal strength. In my experience this is normal when walking inside a building, or even standing still. Do no worry, you can place a call with no bars most of the time as long as your phone isn't showing no signal.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,386
# of bars dont mean anything. it's when you have 0 bars it's when you should be worried.

sanyo could make a phone with a maximum of 10 bars and people would flock to it (what old phone did that i cant remember off the top of my head... )
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
trev913
Telegraph User

Phone: Mogul
SU$: 443
Yeah, just so long as you're not getting "No Signal", you're fine. Heck, I've got that with just about every cell phone I've ever had. If I'm in bed on the phone, it's gotta be on the right ear. I've gone from 5 bars to 1 bar in the span of 10 feet. No big deal.
trev913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
desirex
Forum Member
- Contributor -

SU$: 1,611
im starting to think verizon has better coverage/signal than sprint.
when im inside the building, like at work i dont get any service at all! thank god for free roaming i use the verizon network and im gettin full bar wherever i go inside the building.
sprint & verizon uses the same technology rite, cmda?? so i dont understand how i get full service with verizon and not sprint.
desirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
TvTech
Crackberry Addict

Phone: BB Curve
SU$: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirex
im starting to think verizon has better coverage/signal than sprint.
when im inside the building, like at work i dont get any service at all! thank god for free roaming i use the verizon network and im gettin full bar wherever i go inside the building.
sprint & verizon uses the same technology rite, cmda?? so i dont understand how i get full service with verizon and not sprint.
Interesting example. I have another to share. I work at a TV station, around all the broadcast equipment. I recently switched from Nextel to Sprint. With my Nextel, as soon as I walked in the building, "No Service". I walk 75-100 ft. away from all the electronic equipment and get service, but no bars. I had to walk way up into the business offices to get a good signal.

So now with Sprint service, I walk into the building near all the TV equipment, and it switches to "Digital Roam" with at least 3 bars. Impressive. I've wondered if it's just what the building is made of or the TV equipment. I want to doubt the equipment because I have co-workers who have Verizon and AT&T and they get signal and can make calls in the same part of the building as me. Heck I guess I can make calls now with "Digital Roam", right? With Nextel I couldn't. Just thought I'd share.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
tmidle8575
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung A900
SU$: 528
Send a message via AIM to tmidle8575 Send a message via MSN to tmidle8575
As far as you people getting roaming inside buildings, that is due to the frequency that the companies use. Verizon uses mainly 900mHz, Nextel uses 800mHz, and Sprint uses mainly 1900mHz. The 800 and 900mHz penetrate buildings a lot better than the 1900 that Sprint uses. This is why it may appear that those have better coverage when in actuality it's only because you're inside. Who care if you're roaming on Verizon when inside a building? It doesn't cost you anything or use any more battery (as long as it's not analog but you wouldn't be on analog inside a building I don't think) and you pay less to be on Sprint anyway. So, yay Sprint!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
C1787GJ
Telephone User

Phone: PALM PRE
Trades: 12
SU$: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to C1787GJ
lol it is the opposite at my work, people come in with Verizon and get no service at all while Sprint has full service I can always tell when people have verizon I'll hear "Hello, hello? HELLO?" haha I just laugh and say oh what do you have verizon?? Every other carrier works fine so I dunno why verizon doesnt work.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
PCSuser
Account Inactive

Phone: Sanyo 8400
SU$: 491
Right the dBm in the field test mode is a better indication of signal strength.

-101 is really really poor
-90s is reallly poor
-80s is good
-70s is great
-60s is 'your right next to the tower'
PCSuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
chuckster
Cell Phone Expert

Phone: CURVE 8530
SU$: 290
cell phone signal

TOWERS! Tower placement. Not all services have towers at the same place as the others.
Usually NOT hanset. Signal strenth is a relative thing. Only sould be used as an average not actual.

This info comes from many years building, using, and repairing two way radios, which a cell phone is.

Chuckster
chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Fox McCloud
Walkie Talkie User

ok, after talking with some people over at Howard, it appears that even when you have a good signal, this is fairly normal (one guy had the same exact thing as me; it'd have 2 bars, you press any button and it jump up to 4-5 and stays there for a little bit, then drops back down).

Anyway, as long as I can make a call and get good download speeds on my mobile browser, I'll be happy.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TvTech
Interesting example. I have another to share. I work at a TV station, around all the broadcast equipment. I recently switched from Nextel to Sprint. With my Nextel, as soon as I walked in the building, "No Service". I walk 75-100 ft. away from all the electronic equipment and get service, but no bars. I had to walk way up into the business offices to get a good signal.

So now with Sprint service, I walk into the building near all the TV equipment, and it switches to "Digital Roam" with at least 3 bars. Impressive. I've wondered if it's just what the building is made of or the TV equipment. I want to doubt the equipment because I have co-workers who have Verizon and AT&T and they get signal and can make calls in the same part of the building as me. Heck I guess I can make calls now with "Digital Roam", right? With Nextel I couldn't. Just thought I'd share.
what tv station in pa?

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums
JonathanFIUWx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
JonathanFIUWx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp720
Right the dBm in the field test mode is a better indication of signal strength.

-101 is really really poor
-90s is reallly poor
-80s is good
-70s is great
-60s is 'your right next to the tower'
lowest db ive seen was 39...

but never go based on signal strength... its a deception. my phone goes staticy at 109db... everything else is fine below it but thats at 0 bars

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user

Last edited by JonathanFIUWx; 06-27-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Fox McCloud
Walkie Talkie User

it's rather strange; on the data cards, the lowest dBm you can get is -55 (I was RIGHT under the tower)....in another case I was about 400 feet away from the tower and I also had a signal strength of -55 dBm....so, I figured -55 dBm was the highest signal strength you could get with the data cards...

ha ha, that's ironic, Jonathanlc2005, that's also the lowest signal strength I ever saw...though, it was on the VZW network.

speaking of which, how can I check the decibel level on my phone? (once again, I have the Sanyo M1, Sanyo 8400, and Samsung Upstage).
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
JonathanFIUWx

##debug# then data screen. signal is the RSSI

i had 39db because its on top of a hotel i was at

sprint is better though because you can select roaming if you want to and not have to wait ill you find service

Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Unstable Signal Strength?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: