Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
zacharykrannert
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung M610
SU$: 34
What is NAI/ PAM

I know this has been answered somewhere but what is nai and what is pam.

Thanks,

Zach
zacharykrannert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
NINO63004
Put your Ad Here

Phone: Droid 2
Trades: 18
SU$: 20,000
i cant remember what NAI stands for but i know its what sprint has on samsung phones to see whether or not your using your phone as a modem. PAM is Phone as Modem. You can get a PAM plan and use your phone as modem and not have to worry about getting in trouble with sprint. disable NAI has been reported to let you use your phone as a modem and sprint will not see it.

If you search around there are some other threads on this area that are more in depth.

Nino
NINO63004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
tpbklake
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung ACE
SU$: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharykrannert
I know this has been answered somewhere but what is nai and what is pam.

Thanks,

Zach
PAM = Phone as Modem; an optional service for Vision/Power Vision phones that allows you to have a computer access the Internet via your phone (either USB cable or Bluetooth in some cases).

NAI = Network ID that is tied to your phone account that allows the phone to access Vision/Power Vision. The newer Sprint phones now have 2 NAIs. One for using Vision/Power Vision from your phone's browser and the second one for using your phone as a modem when tethered. See the following explanation from PhoneNews.com:

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/1057/9/

Regards,

Tom
tpbklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
zacharykrannert
Telegraph User

sweet, and so some things I am reading around here allow you to hack your pam and nai to allow access when you dont pay for it, or am i reading the other posts wrongly
Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
tpbklake
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung ACE
SU$: 321
Quote:
sweet, and so some things I am reading around here allow you to hack your pam and nai to allow access when you dont pay for it, or am i reading the other posts wrongly
If you are paying for Vision/Power Vision, some phone will allow you to disable the modem NAI and tether a laptop without detection, so effectively having PAM without paying extra. Be advised though that Sprint can monitor data usage and since you can browse and download a lot more data with a laptop than you can a phone handset, you do run the risk of being detected that way.
tpbklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
zacharykrannert
Telegraph User

thats cool, do you know if it works on the samsung m610?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: KING S5
Trades: 10
SU$: 115,633
Quote:
thats cool, do you know if it works on the samsung m610?
I heard it does work on your phone.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Moogle
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Samsung A920!
SU$: 930
Send a message via AIM to Moogle Send a message via Yahoo to Moogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbklake
If you are paying for Vision/Power Vision, some phone will allow you to disable the modem NAI and tether a laptop without detection, so effectively having PAM without paying extra. Be advised though that Sprint can monitor data usage and since you can browse and download a lot more data with a laptop than you can a phone handset, you do run the risk of being detected that way.
I think that risk is minimal... As long as you are not pushing hundreds of megabytes of data through the connection.
Moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Network & Data Quality /Airave & Related Services > What is NAI/ PAM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: