Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Mghtz
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Evo
SU$: 822
Are there records kept of text messaging?

Like if for some kinda police investigation.........can sprint be contacted and get a copy of the text messages sent and recieved? Even though they've deleted from your phone cuz they're over a month old or something.....are they somehow stored in Sprints system? maybe they got some databank specifially for that. Just wondering
Mghtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
ZiggyZ
I'm Kind Of A BIG Deal...

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Galaxy Note 3
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 11,551
The answer to your question is YES. Absolutely. a few months back they enabled an online feature for customers to log into their account and view sms messages sent and received on a per phone basis. However, they did away with it. Now customers can't access that info. I think this was done due to privacy concerns amoungst users. Particularly users on multi line accounts. To give you an example of privacy concerns. Take the scenerio that a nosy insecure boyfriend who has his girlfriend on his plan. He suspects she's cheating or something. He could just login to his account and look at her text messages sent and received.

Actually, I recently cancelled my service. 15 years, 11 lines. Boom...Gone...
ZiggyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 39,080
Yeah that feature was removed but the OP is asking if Sprint still keeps the records and can they be accessed by an outside agency such as the police. That's why I speak in code. Or ghetto as Josh prefers to call it lol.
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
ZiggyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SempreGatto
Yeah that feature was removed but the OP is asking if Sprint still keeps the records and can they be accessed by an outside agency such as the police. That's why I speak in code. Or ghetto as Josh prefers to call it lol.
Still the answer is yes. They are required to retain these records for legal purposes. But sprint won't give this info up without a warrent.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Just like email, text messages can likely be recovered by law enforcement if it is necessary to the investigation.

Obviously the cost of recovering them for a simple harassment investigation would be not worth the resources while the value of recovering them for drug dealing or murder for hire would be more in the public intrest.

Data may be "deleted" but can still likely be recovered if enough time and money is spent!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
ZiggyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Just like email, text messages can likely be recovered by law enforcement if it is necessary to the investigation.

Obviously the cost of recovering them for a simple harassment investigation would be not worth the resources while the value of recovering them for drug dealing or murder for hire would be more in the public intrest.

Data may be "deleted" but can still likely be recovered if enough time and money is spent!
I would agree with this for the most part, except it taking a lot of resources. IMO if it was as easy for a customer to view the messages then I would assume that it would be just as easy and painless on the company operations end. Well if you really think about it.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Dzalumni
And the home of the SIOUX!

Phone: Treo Pro
SU$: 11,949
Send a message via AIM to Dzalumni Send a message via Yahoo to Dzalumni
Sprint used to let you see all of your text messages under the Manage>SMS side.
They removed this feature about 5 months ago. It was a great feature and many of us on this site miss it.

Buddy, who knew what your life was like, before you joined our family.You brought, laughter, sunshine and smiles to our family. You are missed. R.I.P my sweet one.
Dzalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 39,080
So any idea of how long they keep these records for?
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by channel125
I would agree with this for the most part, except it taking a lot of resources. IMO if it was as easy for a customer to view the messages then I would assume that it would be just as easy and painless on the company operations end. Well if you really think about it.

My point was more along the idea that even if the server only holds the message logs for say 2 months its possible to recover deleted data. You see how many emails the FBI is able to recover from ISP files even though they were long ago "deleted."
Old 01-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
Sting23ray
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Moto Q and 6700
SU$: 2,233
Quote:
Text Message Records are kept for 15 days. It costs $150 to get the 7-15 days of text records that are available.

So even law enforcement agencies cant get their hands on them after 15 days?

Last edited by Dan; 02-15-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Sting23ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
ZiggyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting23ray
So even law enforcement agencies cant get their hands on them after 15 days?
I would say that they can. I don't see why not. Maybe they are archived after 15 days or something.

Last edited by Dan; 02-15-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
KJ78
Telegraph User

Phone: LG-PM325
SU$: 289
Send a message via AIM to KJ78
Quote:
Originally Posted by channel125
The answer to your question is YES. Absolutely. a few months back they enabled an online feature for customers to log into their account and view sms messages sent and received on a per phone basis. However, they did away with it. Now customers can't access that info. I think this was done due to privacy concerns amoungst users. Particularly users on multi line accounts. To give you an example of privacy concerns. Take the scenerio that a nosy insecure boyfriend who has his girlfriend on his plan. He suspects she's cheating or something. He could just login to his account and look at her text messages sent and received.
i would think they would keep at least the record of date/time/sent to/received from for awhile, if for no other reason that billing. the law is going to want them to keep records for at least a few months if not a few years.

tmobile keeps a list of calls sent/received and txt msgs sent/received for an account updated about 2 hours after the fact in their billing section online. all you need is a login/pwd to access the account. they publish the voice calls made/received list in your bill and keep 3 months of bills online. the text msg info is not kept on bills. just a little handy info in case your sig other is on tmobile and you happen to accidentally watch them type in their password
KJ78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
PrincessPixie
It's still PixieDrea. I'm still a dork.

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 7
SU$: 8,038
Geez, I remember when Text Messges were available on the website. I'm both sad and glad they aren't anymore. I lost some very scentimental records, however, I lost some very incrimating ones as well!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
echelon4
Cordless Phone User

Phone: LG Musiq
SU$: 1,499
I have been wondering this for quite a while and guess just never asked. I am glad to get it cleared up. If I have a customer ask about this where would I direct them? Just customer service and fax CS a warrent or how would I go about this.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
gregmech26
Telegraph User

SU$: 584
I was just informed that my "phone records" are being subpoened by the police. (I'm involved in a criminal case where im the plaintiff pressing charges.)

What exactly are "phone records" ?

How far back do "phone records" go?

Do "phone records" include detailed text messages from several months ago?

I found this number online: Subpoena Compliance Group, (800) 877-7330‏
gregmech26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Are there records kept of text messaging?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: