Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
neilson
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Samsung A920
SU$: 1,306
Thank you God! I can watch Tremors on my Phone now!

Sprint is First to Offer Full-Length "Pay Per View" Movies on Mobile Phones in U.S.

Many recent and classic titles available from Buena Vista VOD, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures through mSpot Partnership

Media Contact:
Aaron Radelet, Sprint
703-433-8246

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. 09/05/2006

Sprint (NYSE: S) launched today Sprint Movies, the first "pay-per-view" service for mobile phones in the U.S. that streams full-length movies, including recent box-office hits and timeless favorites from Buena Vista VOD, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Universal Pictures. Sprint Movies offers a growing list of more than 45 titles, including "National Treasure," "Spider-Man 2" and "Scarface." Sprint Movies is powered by mSpot, which is responsible for video production and ongoing operations of the service.

Sprint Movies features many of the same conveniences as a DVD player. A movie can be seen in its entirety all at once, or it can be divided into chapters and watched over time. Customers can play, pause and skip forward or backward to different chapters. They can also resume a movie at the exact point where it was last shut down.

"Sprint Movies allows our customers to be entertained on the one device that they always carry with them and during times when watching a movie at a theater or on a home entertainment system isn't possible," said Alana Muller, director, entertainment product marketing, Sprint. "For example, customers can take their mind off a busy day during a lunch break, breeze through a few minutes while waiting in the parking lot for a child's soccer practice to end, or make a two-hour delay at the airport much more bearable. And with child-friendly titles such as 'Herbie: Fully Loaded' and 'Babe,' Sprint Movies are also great to keep the kids busy in the backseat."

In December 2005, Sprint became the first carrier in the U.S. to offer any type of full-length movies on mobile phones with mSpot Movies. This service will continue to be available as another option to Sprint customers. Compared to Sprint Movies, which are pay-per-view by each title, mSpot Movies allow customers to watch a unique selection of unlimited movies, TV shows and concerts for a monthly subscription fee of $6.95.

"Since mSpot Movies launched, subscriber growth has averaged more than 30 percent month over month, which indicates a strong interest from customers for this type of capability. We look forward to mobile-movie watching becoming even more popular with our additional offering now of Sprint Movies," said Muller.

Sprint Movies cost between $3.99 and $5.99 each. Customers can view the movie for unlimited times within a set period, which varies between 24 hours and one week depending on the title. In addition, 24-hour titles include the option of purchasing up to two 24-hour viewing extensions at the rate of $.99.

Sprint Movies is available on select Sprint multimedia handsets and can be watched anywhere while on Sprint's Power Vision network or nationwide Vision network. All titles from Sprint Movies are edited, when necessary, to meet TV-14 standards. New titles will continually be added to the Sprint Movies lineup. The initial titles are:

Buena Vista VOD

Annapolis
Eight Below
Glory Road
Herbie: Fully Loaded
National Treasure
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Village

Lionsgate

Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

Ultraviolet
Spider-Man 2
Little Black Book
Hollywood Homicide
The Medallion
The Net
First Knight

Universal Pictures

American Pie
American Pie 2
Apollo 13
Babe
Backdraft
Billy Madison
Bring it On
Dante's Peak
End of Days
Erin Brokovich
Fast and Furious
Happy Gilmore
How High
Jaws
Kindergarten Cop
Meet the Parents
National Lampoon's Animal House
Reality Bites
Scarface
Slapshot
The Bone Collector
The Breakfast Club
The Family Man
The Jerk
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Nutty Professor 2
Tremors
Twins
U-571

About Sprint Video
Sprint has a strong history of providing wireless data services that are innovative and unique, and Sprint's video offerings are a distinct example of this leadership. Sprint TV was recently awarded the Editor's Choice by PC Magazine and the Best Bet by PC World for the best video service on mobile phones. Sprint offers more than 50 video and audio channels of live and on-demand programming, and Sprint was the first U.S. mobile carrier to:

* Receive an Emmy(R) Award (Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development from The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences),
* Offer live television programming on mobile phones (MobiTV),
* Broadcast the first live concert directly on mobile phones (Bon Jovi),
* Offer full-length feature films on mobile phones (mSpot Movies),
* Provide any type of multimedia experience on mobile phones, beginning with video slides and audio (1KTV),
* Deliver a continuous streaming audio and video product up to 15 frames per second and
* Offer a Spanish-language live TV service.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
rennyn
Lets get some shoes!

Phone: iPhone, U727
Trades: 3
SU$: 4,285
Send a message via AIM to rennyn
I hadn't caught this before:

Quote:
All titles from Sprint Movies are edited, when necessary, to meet TV-14 standards.
**** that lol
But it takes religion to make good people do evil things.

rennyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #3
angelicxo
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Sanyo 6600
SU$: 78
It seems pretty pointless to me. With a big enough memory card you can do the same thing probably with better movie quality. Besides I find it very doubtful that your battery will still be kickin after watching a an hour and a half movie.
angelicxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
CJENA
Formally known as CJEN

Phone: BB Curve 8320
Trades: 19
SU$: 2,688
Send a message via AIM to CJENA
Sprint is trying desperately to become the Apple of cell phones. They are failing miserably. Their music is overpriced ($2.50 for a song?!) and people are not going to pay their high prices to watch a movie on a 2" screen at best.

Phone History:

a600 -> PM8200 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> PPC 6700 -> a900 -> a940 -> MM8300 -> Treo 650 -> Fusic -> RAZR v3m -> Treo 700p -> PPC 6700 -> Q -> Treo 700wx -> iPhone -> VZW Pearl -> T-Mo Curve
CJENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Gibsohnn

Trades: 3
SU$: 9,210
Sprint has had over 1 million songs already downloaded. That's 2.5 million dollars. You call that failing miserably? What's the standarad that you're judging this on? Pure opinion?
Gibsohnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
unbreakableblue
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Ninja
Phone: EVO!
Trades: 2
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 7,776
Send a message via AIM to unbreakableblue
I don't think they're getting the numbers they probably want. If you priced these services right, every customer with a compatible phone would be downloading left and right. and 1 million downloads, although it is a big number, is far from being a huge source of income.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
CJENA
Formally known as CJEN

Phone: BB Curve 8320
Trades: 19
SU$: 2,688
Send a message via AIM to CJENA
A million song downloads is nothing. If they priced their songs the same as iTunes (99 cents) they would probably have 10 times that amount. I know that I would download songs at 99 cents.

Phone History:

a600 -> PM8200 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> PPC 6700 -> a900 -> a940 -> MM8300 -> Treo 650 -> Fusic -> RAZR v3m -> Treo 700p -> PPC 6700 -> Q -> Treo 700wx -> iPhone -> VZW Pearl -> T-Mo Curve
CJENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
full_in54
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Touch
SU$: 1,614
Send a message via AIM to full_in54 Send a message via MSN to full_in54
the biggest issue here is y download a song for $2.50 or $.99, when u can spend the extra 5 min and download it for free? most of the people who would use these services are already a little bit tech savey and know how to use programs like limewire or bit torrent, and converters to get the media onto their phones. but face it, for most of the NEW customers that are coming t sprint to use these features, they are paying $40-$60 a month for service, $15-$25 for the data, including SOME tv and music channels, and the $2.50-$10 to subscribe to another channel. toss in unlimited texting for $15 a month. can u afford a phone bill hat totals over $120 after purchasing a few extra tv or music channels, not to metion that if u download enough songs to make a decent sized playlist, 2.50 x 20 ( decent size playlist) you just paid $50. how many 16-28 year olds do u know that can afford that? i think when given the option they would rather pay less and do the rest illegally.
samsung a460> sanyo 8100> sanyo 8200> sanyo 7400> sanyo 5600 > sanyo 8300 > samsung a920 > sanyo 7500 > ppc 6700 > treo 700wx > sanyo 9k > sanyo 8400 > samsung upstage > HTC mogul > Sanyo M1 > Palm Centro > back to Mogul > touch
full_in54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
trip_n_shrooms
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung A840
SU$: 507
Now, I can just picture three or four people gathered around a phone for two hours to watch a movie, better yet, why don't we do up some popcorn and hang the phone on the wall so we can all sit and be comfortable. I'm sorry, but this just seems pointless to me. Phones are for calling people. I realize that the fusion of mp3 and cellular technology was ingenious. I acknowledge that everything that the cell phone entails (i.e., wallpapers, ringtones, calendar, camera, even internet, etc.) is a huge bonus. But to actually watch an entire movie on a MAXIMUM 2" screen just seems a little out of hand. Sorry... WAY out of hand.
trip_n_shrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
jumonjii
Digital PCS User

Phone: a920
SU$: 8,583
How about getting the signal issues fixed before implementing movie downloads.

I think everyone is jumping on the technology wagon and trying to steer it in their own direction.

Will the next generation of phones have fax mail, mini dvd support, HDTV, or open my garage door?

I think I'll hold off on the latest and greatest. Computer viruses (virii??) are bad enough, I don't need to start downloading anti virus updates to my phone as well.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
full_in54
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Touch
SU$: 1,614
Send a message via AIM to full_in54 Send a message via MSN to full_in54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumonjii
How about getting the signal issues fixed before implementing movie downloads.

I think everyone is jumping on the technology wagon and trying to steer it in their own direction.

Will the next generation of phones have fax mail, mini dvd support, HDTV, or open my garage door?

I think I'll hold off on the latest and greatest. Computer viruses (virii??) are bad enough, I don't need to start downloading anti virus updates to my phone as well.
i can open my garage door with my phone
samsung a460> sanyo 8100> sanyo 8200> sanyo 7400> sanyo 5600 > sanyo 8300 > samsung a920 > sanyo 7500 > ppc 6700 > treo 700wx > sanyo 9k > sanyo 8400 > samsung upstage > HTC mogul > Sanyo M1 > Palm Centro > back to Mogul > touch
full_in54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #12
neilson
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Samsung A920
SU$: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_n_shrooms
Now, I can just picture three or four people gathered around a phone for two hours to watch a movie, better yet, why don't we do up some popcorn and hang the phone on the wall so we can all sit and be comfortable. I'm sorry, but this just seems pointless to me. Phones are for calling people. I realize that the fusion of mp3 and cellular technology was ingenious. I acknowledge that everything that the cell phone entails (i.e., wallpapers, ringtones, calendar, camera, even internet, etc.) is a huge bonus. But to actually watch an entire movie on a MAXIMUM 2" screen just seems a little out of hand. Sorry... WAY out of hand.
Then please explain the iPod Video's Success.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
konduit
Telegraph User

Phone: LG LX350
SU$: 360
Send a message via MSN to konduit
you ae missing the market, its not for the people who are going to sit at home and watch movies on there phone. its for the poeple who are going to be stuck in a train station or on the subway or even in the back of there mom's SUV for way too long that want something to do. thats why its MOBILE
konduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
Trades: 1
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 5,807
i just posted this...http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=111957

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums
JonathanFIUWx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
Google
Telephone User

Phone: VM5500 A600
Trades: 1
SU$: 15,306
I guess over time this could be a success but even I can't consider watching a movie on a cell phone screen. It's just to small to watch something on at this point. Comparing it to the video ipod that's currently out, that is a success due to brand and the function of putting gigs of songs and/or videos and the videos are just fine to watch when say doing a job like data entry or something requiring you to sit all day or you just listen to the film. Also, the phones currently just don't hold enough space to put alot of stuff on it only your select items.
Google is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Thank you God! I can watch Tremors on my Phone now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: