Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
cheezit
Smartphone connoisseur

Phone: Galaxy Note 3
SU$: 4,306
Thumbs down Sprints collection practices.....

I have a question concerning Sprints billing and/or collection practices. My account was about 2 or 3 weeks past due (about 2 weeks into the second month). Instead of someone from Sprint getting a hold of me, the primary account holder, they sent a text message to my son, who has the secondary number on my account with a message to call some 800 number. He did and was told that to avoid interruption of service, the total of the bill, $180.66 (two full months worth) needed to be paid in full. He tried to call me, but because I can't get phone calls at work, I turn my phone off while working. He felt he had no other choice but to pay the bill, so he borrowed money from a friend of his and got the bill paid.

I'm a little more than curious why Sprint felt it necessary to call the secondary number on my account and threaten disconnection rather than trying to call ME, the PRIMARY account holder. I am fairly certain that they didn't call me, because there was no message left on my phone.

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
blahman
Telegraph User

SU$: 62
Are you sure the message is actually from Sprint and not someone phishing?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
reemusk
i'm still alive!

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 4
Trades: 5
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 23,420
Send a message via AIM to reemusk Send a message via MSN to reemusk Send a message via Yahoo to reemusk
pay your bill!

vi660 > 5500 > 8300 > 4500 > A900 > 9000 > 6700 > 9000 > M1 > 9000 > MUSIQ > 9000 > 8703e > 9000 > ic502 > a920 > Centro > 8830 > 8330 > 9630 > Moment > Hero > 9630

then on VZW, i went all like..

D1 --> D2 --> DX --> DX2 --> iPhone 4
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
ZiggyZ
I'm Kind Of A BIG Deal...

Mood: Amazed
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 11,551
Nonetheless, since the money was paid, was it paid to a store? or over the phone with someone? I would make sure that it was paid to sprint 1st.

Also, Sprint can call any of the numbers on your account that you do business with them. Another words any of the subscriptions at least.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
endless4105
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung a920
SU$: 1,216
the only way to avoid this is to pay on time.

also, with your phone being off, they may have tried to contact your line and you dont even know it. Sprint does not know that you son has the other phone. Your name is attatched to all the numbers on the account and when you are past due, its not uncommon for Sprint to try and contact you in a number of different ways.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
ZiggyZ

In general if someone is calling you, and your handset is turned off, There is NO WAY for you to find out if someone called you unless they left a Voicemail or paged you or sent you a text message. So if they tried to call you and your phone was off and they didn't leave a message then you won't know.

One thing I can recommend you to do, is to call Customer service and have them change the authorized user/Caller ID info for your sons line to his name. That doesn't change the financial responsability at all, it just basically tells sprint that you have authorized your son to use that handset/line. It also will display on your itemized bill his name and number, and will also display his name for people he calls that have Caller ID with Name service. I like it because I have 10 lines of service so it makes it a little bit easier when I get my bill as well.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
NASCAR14FAN
PINs 3240AC23 & 32FD2D8B

Phone: BB 9650 & 9850
Trades: 3
SU$: 53,604
Send a message via ICQ to NASCAR14FAN Send a message via AIM to NASCAR14FAN Send a message via MSN to NASCAR14FAN Send a message via Yahoo to NASCAR14FAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by channel125
In general if someone is calling you, and your handset is turned off, There is NO WAY for you to find out if someone called you unless they left a Voicemail or paged you or sent you a text message. So if they tried to call you and your phone was off and they didn't leave a message then you won't know.

One thing I can recommend you to do, is to call Customer service and have them change the authorized user/Caller ID info for your sons line to his name. That doesn't change the financial responsability at all, it just basically tells sprint that you have authorized your son to use that handset/line. It also will display on your itemized bill his name and number, and will also display his name for people he calls that have Caller ID with Name service. I like it because I have 10 lines of service so it makes it a little bit easier when I get my bill as well.
Good point!

"MAKE THE WORLD BLACKBERRY"
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Jumpcut
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC TouchPro 2
SU$: 672
I hate to be harsh here, but rather than ranting on a public forum about Sprint embarassing you with your son, you can set a good example for him by simply paying your bills on time. He sounds like a good kid who already knows how important it is to pay one's bills. I hope his dad gets the message.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
supernet33
Cell phone User

Phone: Centro
SU$: 745
Send a message via AIM to supernet33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpcut
I hate to be harsh here, but rather than ranting on a public forum about Sprint embarassing you with your son, you can set a good example for him by simply paying your bills on time. He sounds like a good kid who already knows how important it is to pay one's bills. I hope his dad gets the message.
Ditto ! I could of not said it better my self
Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
ZiggyZ

Quote:
But this forum is also not about putting people down. For all we know he was probably late on paying his bill because he didn't get his bill or something happened that he couldn;t get it paid ontime. maybe this was the 1st time he's ever been late. We don't know this. But this is my opinion. I'm not yelling at anyone inparticular, so please don't take this the wrong way. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
cheezit
Smartphone connoisseur

SU$: 4,306
Quote:
You know, it's posts like this that make me wonder why I ever even bothered to sign up to post at this forum.

The last thing I need or want is some smartass telling me what I "should have" done.

And for your information, Sprint didn't "embarrass" me with my son. Stupid me, I thought my opening post was fairly plain. I guess not.

The fact of the matter is, it really doesn't make any difference to me if my phone was turned off or not. The POINT is, MY number is the PRIMARY number in the account and there WAS NO MESSAGE, either voice or text, from Sprint left on my phone, so they didn't even TRY to contact me first.

And for the record, yes, Sprints website now says that the amount I owe is "none", so I know it has been paid.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
jes
Cordless Phone User

Phone: MKRM1ZR610
SU$: 2,192
By any chance, did you happen to call Sprint and ask them why they sent a text to a sub number? Seems to me they would know the answer to that better than those here.

I realize some of the posts may have bothered you, but when you post a topic like this, you've got to be willing to hear both sides of the coin without getting offended.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
StarmanDX
Starman Deluxe

Mood: Brooding
Phone: BB 8330
Trades: 1
My Mood: Brooding
SU$: 3,597
Send a message via AIM to StarmanDX
Here's a better idea. Don't rant to the Internet about it and pay your bills. We already told you that they probably called you and didn't leave a message. Therefore, they may have tried to contact you and you'd have no idea because you turn your phone off. The alternative to contacting your sub-line would've been Sprint turning off your service which would've resulted in another pointless rant post about "how dare they turn off my service I'm only a month and a half late."

Some people just can't be pleased.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Mood: Menopausal
Phone: EVO, Tour
Trades: 1
My Mood: Menopausal
SU$: 42,558
Send a message via AIM to Ronkh
Since the op was a rant on the practices of Sprint, and he/she doesn't like the responses they have gotten...........

Thread closed
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprints collection practices.....

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: