Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: Galaxy S7 Edge
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 14,638
Post Sprint/T-Mobile merger talks...

Hello Sprint and T-Mobile users...

What are your thoughts of the potential merger between Sprint and T-Mobile?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/t-mo...-a-merger.html

Quote:
John Legere, T-Mobile US. T-Mobile, Sprint in merger talks: Sources
2 Hours Ago | 04:43
T-Mobile and Sprint are in active talks about a merger, according to people close to the situation.

Both companies and their parents, Deutsche Telekom and Softbank, have been in frequent conversations about a stock-for-stock merger in which T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom would emerge as the majority owner.

People close to the situation stress that negotiators are still weeks away from finalizing a deal and believe the chances of reaching an agreement are not assured. The two sides have not yet set an exchange ratio for a deal, but are currently engaged in talks to hammer out a term sheet.

The companies declined to comment on the report.

T-Mobile and Sprint have had a seemingly endless dalliance over the years since Softbank took control of Sprint, pushed by the prospect of billions of dollars in cost synergies that a merger would bring. The last time the two companies held meaningful talks earlier this year, Softbank's Masayoshi Son indicated a willingness to sell Sprint to T-Mobile.

This time, given the all-stock nature contemplated, Softbank would emerge as a large minority holder in any combination. While T-Mobile CEO John Legere is expected to lead any combination that results from a merger, Son has made it clear he wants a say in how the company is run. That desire adds another layer of complexity to an already difficult transaction.

T-Mobile has not begun due diligence on Sprint, yet another step that could change current price expectations or the willingness to move forward.

The biggest issue is whether any merger between the No. 3 and No. 4 wireless carriers in the nation would be approved by antitrust regulators. The risk of rejection by the Department of Justice will play an important role in the final decision made by both sides as to whether they will proceed with a deal.

Given Softbank's high level of engagement on a Sprint-T-Mobile deal, its quixotic campaign to try to buy Charter Communications has slowed considerably. The effort is on hold. CNBC has reported it involved the creation of a new company infused with vast amounts of equity and debt to buy Charter at a premium and the 17 percent of Sprint that Softbank does not own. Dutch telecom company Altice has been actively soliciting funds to mount its own bid for Charter should Softbank make a move.

Do you think that much would change? How so?

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,944
I am only cool with this if T-Mobile is the dominant company and Legere is in charge.

If it happens I forsee a large exodus of Sprint employees who cannot or willnot adjust to T-Mobile's way of doing things. Part of Son's problem dealing with Sprint has been wrestling with the corporate culture of CYA and pass the buck. Accountability has never been a concept Sprint employees have been very familiar with.

Ultimately, I just do not wish to go back to Sprint. I left them for a reason and I don't need T-Mobile merging with them only to find myself back where I started.

I do believe Legere would end up running things though. I noticed a while back when Son made Marcelo Claure part of Softbanks board of directors. To me that was Son preparing Claure for a soft landing.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: Galaxy S7 Edge
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 14,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
I am only cool with this if T-Mobile is the dominant company and Legere is in charge.

If it happens I forsee a large exodus of Sprint employees who cannot or willnot adjust to T-Mobile's way of doing things. Part of Son's problem dealing with Sprint has been wrestling with the corporate culture of CYA and pass the buck. Accountability has never been a concept Sprint employees have been very familiar with.

Ultimately, I just do not wish to go back to Sprint. I left them for a reason and I don't need T-Mobile merging with them only to find myself back where I started.

I do believe Legere would end up running things though. I noticed a while back when Son made Marcelo Claure part of Softbanks board of directors. To me that was Son preparing Claure for a soft landing.
Yeah, the article at CNBC and elsewhere seems to indicate that T-Mobile would control the new merged company as the majority shareholder.
ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
CobaltBlue
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Galaxy GP
SU$: 12,902
I wish they'd just get this over with as it's been on and off for several years now.

Btw, eyoungren, I have a couple of questions for you.

Still with Sprint, but since it appears that we can unlock our phones, we should be able to use them with TM since they have the same model (Galaxy Grand Prime). Do you know what their best deal is these days for a 2-line plan? We're paying around $83 total w/Sprint. Don't need anything fancy, just unlimited T&T and a reasonable amount of LTE data, like 3-5GB/mo shared. Anything priced comparably with TM?

Speaking of unlocking, is there actually a difference between domestic & international unlocking (with Android phones), as Sprint claims, or is that just a way of getting you to sign up for their international roaming plan as an upsell? I thought that all SIMs are basically the same, and unlocking is all or nothing.

Btw, still having huge data issues. Sometimes, in the same area (and I've tried this in multiple areas from here in NYC down to Baltimore), I can get anywhere from no LTE signal at all, to 3G, to mediocre LTE, to outstanding LTE (60/15 down/up). It's totally crazy. It could be Sprint. It could be network saturation. Or, I'm thinking, it could be the phone. I keep meaning to call Sprint using another phone so they can run diagnostics on my phone, but I dread talking to their CS for reasons I need not explain. Are you aware of Samsung phones with LTE issues on Sprint's network?
CobaltBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
I wish they'd just get this over with as it's been on and off for several years now.

Btw, eyoungren, I have a couple of questions for you.

Still with Sprint, but since it appears that we can unlock our phones, we should be able to use them with TM since they have the same model (Galaxy Grand Prime). Do you know what their best deal is these days for a 2-line plan? We're paying around $83 total w/Sprint. Don't need anything fancy, just unlimited T&T and a reasonable amount of LTE data, like 3-5GB/mo shared. Anything priced comparably with TM?

Speaking of unlocking, is there actually a difference between domestic & international unlocking (with Android phones), as Sprint claims, or is that just a way of getting you to sign up for their international roaming plan as an upsell? I thought that all SIMs are basically the same, and unlocking is all or nothing.

Btw, still having huge data issues. Sometimes, in the same area (and I've tried this in multiple areas from here in NYC down to Baltimore), I can get anywhere from no LTE signal at all, to 3G, to mediocre LTE, to outstanding LTE (60/15 down/up). It's totally crazy. It could be Sprint. It could be network saturation. Or, I'm thinking, it could be the phone. I keep meaning to call Sprint using another phone so they can run diagnostics on my phone, but I dread talking to their CS for reasons I need not explain. Are you aware of Samsung phones with LTE issues on Sprint's network?
I am making an assumption here, so please do not be insulted if I assume incorrectly.

T-Mobile recently launched a 55+ plan for those 55 years old and older. It's two lines of unlimited data, talk and text for $60 a month.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mo...e-unlimited-55

As new customers you can probably find a store employee with a hookup code. Hookup codes give you 20% off your bill - for life.

Other than that I believe they have a 4 line deal for $120 a month, but I'm not sure.

In any case, T-Mobile One and One Plus are the only plans you can get now and everything is unlimited. T-Mob no longer has capped data.

As far as unlocking…yes there is a difference between an international unlock and a full domestic unlock.

International unlocks are granted for when customers go overseas. It means they can use local SIMs with their phones and not pay huge roaming fees. Carriers are more willing to grant these because you are still locked to them.

Note that Sprint has recently changed it's unlock policy (again) and because of the options it offers for international plan addons they are no longer giving international unlocks to those whose devices are not paid off. Probably does not apply in your case.

A full domestic SIM unlock means you can take your phone to any carrier. It includes the international unlock part as part of the process. In other words, you cannot get just a domestic unlock and have the device internationally locked like you can in the reverse.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with any issues with Samsung and LTE on Sprint.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
Hello Sprint and T-Mobile users...

What are your thoughts of the potential merger between Sprint and T-Mobile?

Do you think that much would change? How so?

Personally this story is getting seriously old. Either do it or stop trying. Lastly, I do not care either way as both companies have their fair share of issues hence I am not going to use either or merged. I would rather go back to landline than use either if I was forced to chose.

Hell, in the news Verizon was kicking off a 100 folks or so for using too much data in rural areas. Sucks to be on Verizon now-a-days even.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
CobaltBlue
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
I am making an assumption here, so please do not be insulted if I assume incorrectly.

T-Mobile recently launched a 55+ plan for those 55 years old and older. It's two lines of unlimited data, talk and text for $60 a month.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mo...e-unlimited-55

As new customers you can probably find a store employee with a hookup code. Hookup codes give you 20% off your bill - for life.

Other than that I believe they have a 4 line deal for $120 a month, but I'm not sure.

In any case, T-Mobile One and One Plus are the only plans you can get now and everything is unlimited. T-Mob no longer has capped data.

As far as unlocking…yes there is a difference between an international unlock and a full domestic unlock.

International unlocks are granted for when customers go overseas. It means they can use local SIMs with their phones and not pay huge roaming fees. Carriers are more willing to grant these because you are still locked to them.

Note that Sprint has recently changed it's unlock policy (again) and because of the options it offers for international plan addons they are no longer giving international unlocks to those whose devices are not paid off. Probably does not apply in your case.

A full domestic SIM unlock means you can take your phone to any carrier. It includes the international unlock part as part of the process. In other words, you cannot get just a domestic unlock and have the device internationally locked like you can in the reverse.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with any issues with Samsung and LTE on Sprint.
No insult taken! One of us is over 55, the other under (but rapidly approaching it!). So, that plan doesn't apply (yet). The other one is overkill since we only need 2 lines. They seriously don't care about single people, or young couples w/o kids or kids old enough to need phones? Bizarre. Or, is this their version of "Framily Lite"?

But in any case, before switching, I'm going to try and see if at least some of the data issues I've been having are phone-related. Something about its behavior tells me that it's partly the phone to blame.

Weird thing is that Sprint phones seem to suddenly "degrade" after 18 months or so, or however length of time has to pass before you're qualified to buy a new phone. This is clearly CT, but I've got to wonder if they're not somehow deliberately sabotaging older phones via OTA firmware upgrades to encourage people to buy new phones, which is where they probably make most of their profits. So many ways to do this. My previous phone also displayed weird behavior after the 18 month mark.

It's a low-end Galaxy, but I actually like my phone and want to keep it for another year at least, so its recent data issues are really annoying. Perhaps it's not the phone, but Sprint's network. But first I'll try to diagnose it w/Sprint. I'll need to know one way or another if I do end up switching carriers, anyway.

Btw, how to tell if my phone is unlocked? I've read that instead of sending you unlock codes, Sprint does it OTA.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
CobaltBlue
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLME View Post
Personally this story is getting seriously old. Either do it or stop trying. Lastly, I do not care either way as both companies have their fair share of issues hence I am not going to use either or merged. I would rather go back to landline than use either if I was forced to chose.

Hell, in the news Verizon was kicking off a 100 folks or so for using too much data in rural areas. Sucks to be on Verizon now-a-days even.
I bet the real stumbling block has been how much Sprint execs get paid off in (unmerited IMO) bonuses or severance packages, and who gets to stay on and in what capacity. So many of today's corporate execs are ridiculously all about me me me and what do I get out of this. How else to explain severance packages netting failed execs who ruined good companies tens of millions of dollars in unearned bonuses?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
I bet the real stumbling block has been how much Sprint execs get paid off in (unmerited IMO) bonuses or severance packages, and who gets to stay on and in what capacity. So many of today's corporate execs are ridiculously all about me me me and what do I get out of this. How else to explain severance packages netting failed execs who ruined good companies tens of millions of dollars in unearned bonuses?
I think it may be wrapped up more in how much Son has lost in his investment.

He came in expecting a quick merger, Sprint would be turned around and he'd be movng on while he made his money back.

He didn't count on the FCC and he didn't count on Sprint's CYA, pass the buck corporate culture.

In any case, Claure has a spot on SoftBank's board of directors so anyway this goes he is out of the picture but set.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
No insult taken! One of us is over 55, the other under (but rapidly approaching it!). So, that plan doesn't apply (yet). The other one is overkill since we only need 2 lines. They seriously don't care about single people, or young couples w/o kids or kids old enough to need phones? Bizarre. Or, is this their version of "Framily Lite"?

But in any case, before switching, I'm going to try and see if at least some of the data issues I've been having are phone-related. Something about its behavior tells me that it's partly the phone to blame.

Weird thing is that Sprint phones seem to suddenly "degrade" after 18 months or so, or however length of time has to pass before you're qualified to buy a new phone. This is clearly CT, but I've got to wonder if they're not somehow deliberately sabotaging older phones via OTA firmware upgrades to encourage people to buy new phones, which is where they probably make most of their profits. So many ways to do this. My previous phone also displayed weird behavior after the 18 month mark.

It's a low-end Galaxy, but I actually like my phone and want to keep it for another year at least, so its recent data issues are really annoying. Perhaps it's not the phone, but Sprint's network. But first I'll try to diagnose it w/Sprint. I'll need to know one way or another if I do end up switching carriers, anyway.

Btw, how to tell if my phone is unlocked? I've read that instead of sending you unlock codes, Sprint does it OTA.
I was under the impression that only one person needed to be 55 or over to qualify. I may be wrong.

As far as unlocking, the only devices I am sure on that do not use codes are Apple's iPhones and iPads.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
No insult taken! One of us is over 55, the other under (but rapidly approaching it!). So, that plan doesn't apply (yet).
Here you go!

Confirmation that only ONE person needs to be 55 or over (as long as you're getting two lines and not just one): https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...tion_about_55/
Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,HM,S &TMO
SU$: 16,247
I'm getting a kick out of watching the Sprint fanboys/girls speculating on how their service will be negatively impacted by T-Mobile. If only they knew.
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbin View Post
I'm getting a kick out of watching the Sprint fanboys/girls speculating on how their service will be negatively impacted by T-Mobile. If only they knew.
If you want some real entertainment drop by s4gru.com.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #14
CobaltBlue
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Here you go!

Confirmation that only ONE person needs to be 55 or over (as long as you're getting two lines and not just one): https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...tion_about_55/
Hey thanks!

Btw, if we switch to TM and do the BYOP thing, do they have to be factory reset first, or is it just a matter of swapping the SIM cards and TM enabling them on their end, and we can continue to use existing apps and data?

Finally, referring to another comment, there are still Sprint fans here? I'm still with them but that doesn't mean that I like them.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Hey thanks!

Btw, if we switch to TM and do the BYOP thing, do they have to be factory reset first, or is it just a matter of swapping the SIM cards and TM enabling them on their end, and we can continue to use existing apps and data?

Finally, referring to another comment, there are still Sprint fans here? I'm still with them but that doesn't mean that I like them.
Here is how they did it for me.

I signed up and they issued me temporary numbers. Once my phones arrived I took them into my local T-Mobile store and they ported my numbers, each one replacing the temporary numbers they had assigned.

That assigned my old Sprint numbers to the new T-Mobile SIMs and off we went.

In your case, assuming the phones are unlocked they will pull a new SIM, port your number and that number will be assigned to that new SIM. Simply put that new SIM in the phone the number belongs to and go.

They will charge you $25 per SIM. Think of it as an activation fee.

There is a way around that if you want to avoid it by getting SIMs cheaper of eBay and then bringing those SIMs in to be programmed when you port. Sometimes cellphone shops have them for around $10 or so. You're looking for the 3-in-1 SIM kits which look like a credit card with the actual SIM notched out.

No need to reset.

I am not familiar with your phones so if everything is not working there may be some T-Mobile specific software you need to install or flash, but I couldn't tell you. Best to ask a T-Mob employee.

Make sure you hound one of these guys for a hookup code. It's a killer deal and only available to new customers. Wish I could get it.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint/T-Mobile merger talks...

Tags
merger, merging, sprint, t-mobile

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: