Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
The Fish
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 262
time to walk away from old F&C plan?

Love the advice here. These forums always save me money come renewal time which has come again. I have clung onto my old F&C plan because it was always cheaper overall for two lines and the minutes we use. Cheap, quality services has kept me with Sprint for 12 years. Here are the details of the current plan from my bill:
$85.00 Free & Clear Plan - 2000 Anytime Shared Minutes
-$10.00 $10 Monthly Discount
-$19.55 Employee Discount Sprint 23%

Line 1 – LG Rumor
$9.99 Sprint Navigation
$0 America Roaming Included
$0 Nights and Weekends Minutes - NIGHTS STARTING AT 6PM
$0 Long Distance Special Rate
$0 Casual Sprint Data Usage
$0 Sprint Data - Sprint Unlimited Data Pack
$0 SMS Text Messaging - Unlimited Text Messaging

Line 2 – HTC Mogul
$0 Free & Clear Plan - 2000 Anytime Shared Minutes
$25.00 Sprint Data Ult Pack
-$5.75 Employee Discount Sprint 23%
-$10.00 EVDO SERVICE CREDIT
$7.00 Total Equipment Protection
$0 America Roaming Included
$0 Nights and Weekends Minutes - NIGHTS STARTING AT 6PM
$0 Long Distance Special Rate
$0 SMS Text Messaging - Unlimited Text Messaging

$4.69 Sprint Surcharges
$5.10 Government Fees & Taxes
$91.48 Total Due

Without fees and TEP (which are extra on all plans), the plan is only $75 for two lines. Line 1 has unlimited data/text which is fine for the basic phones, but not a ‘PDA’ data plan. Line 2 does everything I need on the Mogul. I have considered dropping sprint navi from line 1, but I am always worried a CSR will screw up my plan or drop one of my $10 discounts.

Looking to get Samsung Reclaim for line 1 and HTC Touch Pro 2 for line 2 taking advantage of the 2 year upgrade. Both phones should be compatible with my current plan based on what I have read.

I considered the Hero and Moment phones, but not sure about having to switch to the EDF plans for $129 less 23% discount (~$100 before taxes and fees). I have read about $20/24 credit for renewals. I suppose I could wait a month and then see about renewing again but not sure if I can bank on getting that. Even with that, the net cost is about $80ish which is still slightly more than my current plan but gives me more phone options and better data service on line 1. EPRP is not an option from what I read as an existing customer not coming off a SERO plan.

The disadvantages of staying on F&C that I can see are:
1. What if a CSR screws it up one day? Then bye-bye legacy plan.
2. PDA plan on line 1 makes old plan more expensive than EDF.
3. Cannot get android phone right now (or ever?)

If line 1 needs PDA or I fall in love with an Android phone, then I can see paying more per month to get what I want. But for now, I am thinking of sticking with the current plan. From what I read, I am not sure a TP2 is a bad consolation prize. Could always flash with a pseudo-Android ROM (but I never do that stuff anyway).

So after all that, what I am asking is:

Does anyone think that e-care will add any other options or discounts to my account?

Any suggestions on getting a better price on the phones I am looking (doesn’t hurt to ask)?

Any other money savings tips would be appreciated.
The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
jcsprint2009
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,333
I can see your plan eventually being messed up by some well intentioned but poorly trained rep. The Android phones are worth the extra money so if you can afford it, make the switch.
jcsprint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
The Fish
Telegraph User

Thanks. Maybe I need to play with the Android phones a little more...
Premier status with 1 yr upgrades would be another benefit of the bigger shared plan.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
diveborg
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Blah
Phone: iPhone 5
Trades: 1
My Mood: Blah
SU$: 27,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
Thanks. Maybe I need to play with the Android phones a little more...
Premier status with 1 yr upgrades would be another benefit of the bigger shared plan.
Yes. That and the ED plans include Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, AnyMobile Anytime, BIS so you could have a crackberry on all the lines if you wanted, unlimited data on all lines, unlimited text, picture mail, and the ability to choose any of the phones offered by sprint.

IMO, worth the price of the plan.
The Fish (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
The Fish
Telegraph User

Good points. That plan is certainly more future proof. What is it about this legacy plan that makes me so afraid of changing?

So what's the best pricing for me on an ED plan for two lines: $129 less 23% discount (~$100 before taxes and fees). Is the $20/24 credit for renewals a possibility also? EPRP is not an option, right?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 31,956
Quote:
Good points. That plan is certainly more future proof. What is it about this legacy plan that makes me so afraid of changing?

So what's the best pricing for me on an ED plan for two lines: $129 less 23% discount (~$100 before taxes and fees). Is the $20/24 credit for renewals a possibility also? EPRP is not an option, right?
20/$24 is still a crap shoot, just depends on the rep. EPRP is a no go since you are not a current SERO sub. Well you could if your out of contract, drop your current lines, and then start new ones but you would lose your current phone numbers. It really doesn't matter since you discount is so high it makes it cheaper to get ED than EPRP anyways.(corporate discounts are a no go on EPRP)
The Fish (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
The Fish
Telegraph User

thanks for the discount details. Comparing $100 after discounts for EDF versus net $75 current plan is a bigger difference ($600) to swallow over the next two years.

It may be worth it if I would actually use the EDF services on line 1. Line 2 services are comparable right now to EDF for the most part for non-BB and non-Android phones.

Maybe I need to let the phone drive this decision. But is Android really $600 better than the TP2? Sure $180 is made up by the price difference.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
Why don't you try to get the EDF plan with the $20/24 now? Your bill should be $80ish before fees and taxes. Then you can get any smartphone Sprint is currently offering.

How much more a month would that be? Probably close to the same amount you are paying now? And then you can buy the smartphones on sale at third party retailers like BB, Shack and such (if you are patient to wait for the phones to go on sale). You would also qualify for Premier status, affording one of the phones on the family plan the full $150 upgrade discount every anniversary (the other gets $75).
big_ole_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big_ole_truck For This Useful Post:
The Fish (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
The Fish
Telegraph User

That would be very close to what I am paying - ony $5 more but for more services. I can try that route with e-care to get the $20/24 plus my corp. discount.

I thought that BB could not upgrade phones on business accounts. Or is getting a employee discount not the same as a business account?

In either case, that is a good idea to get the plan locked in at the best discounted price and then go after the phones. From what I can tell, they don't budge on the phone price and rebate. Althought anytime you renew you might get a free month thrown in.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

Employees are entitled to corporate discounts on their individual plans if Sprint recognizes that corporation. Business accounts are a different beast. More users here qualify for the corporate discounts.
big_ole_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
The Fish
Telegraph User

sent email to e-care yesterday about renewing for 2 years and upgrading to EDF. I will share response, if any. 21 hours have passed so far...
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
sent email to e-care yesterday about renewing for 2 years and upgrading to EDF. I will share response, if any. 21 hours have passed so far...
You may want to re-send that email to ecare if you haven't heard a response.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
The Fish
Telegraph User

got a response but not exactly what I wanted. They told me the employee discount would continue and the existing $10 monthly credit would also continue. But my other credits would not continue. So I have replied asking for more consideration. Hoping to get $20 recurring credit on main 2 lines. Any extra credit on new lines 3-4 would be a bonus. But I will be happy with $20. Can always try again in a few months...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
tooserious4u79
Telegraph User

Phone: 8300
SU$: 466
I have a F&C plan and I intend to keep it. Sprint does this every time they have new phones that interest their consumers. Remember pcs vision, then power vision, and now everything data plans. The power vision phones had restrictions also. They are sending a clear message when the only "up to date phone" that is compatible with our plan (still using windows mobile 6.1) touch pro 2 costs $349 a pop with rebate. Whenever I get on the phone with CS (outsourced version) I can't get a word in edge wise to handle my matters until they have to tell me that I will pay less with the new everything plan and how much of a good deal it is. Sprint is saying thanks for being loyal customers .........but give me more money for the phone and per month. If those plans came with an evdo iphone for $349 I would jump at the offer but since that is not going to happen I won't change.
tooserious4u79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooserious4u79 View Post
I have a F&C plan and I intend to keep it. Sprint does this every time they have new phones that interest their consumers. Remember pcs vision, then power vision, and now everything data plans. The power vision phones had restrictions also. They are sending a clear message when the only "up to date phone" that is compatible with our plan (still using windows mobile 6.1) touch pro 2 costs $349 a pop with rebate. Whenever I get on the phone with CS (outsourced version) I can't get a word in edge wise to handle my matters until they have to tell me that I will pay less with the new everything plan and how much of a good deal it is. Sprint is saying thanks for being loyal customers .........but give me more money for the phone and per month. If those plans came with an evdo iphone for $349 I would jump at the offer but since that is not going to happen I won't change.
That's fine. As time passes, you're selection of smartphones phones will diminish or no longer be supported/allowed on your plan. So you'll be on an self imposed capitivity if you refuse to change to the latest plans.

However, if you mostly talk or text, those handsets will likely be available for your use with your legacy plan.

Tags
everything data, free and clean, legacy plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: