Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #16
knucklehead
Watcho! Seekow!

Mood: Fine
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 5,816
I got caught up watching this game! More fun to watch than any of the bowl games on yesterday...... Even though Michigan / Florida was good.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #17
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
The league has already indicated an interest in doing it again. Obviously it needs to be a cold weather city and have a stadium that is laid out in a way to make it possible.

Maybe NY and the old Giants stadium before it meets the wrecking ball? Columbus at Ohio State's field? Imagine doing it at a college stadium that seats almost 100,000!

Their were a couple things the league could have done better (getting people out with shovels more often to clear the ice) but it was obviously a learning experience. Dealing with the 6 inch "crown" on the field was a big enough hurdle to deal with, and was the cause for most of the ice issues. I wonder if using the chemical in the water that the old "aud" had in buffalo would have helped. It made the ice "harder" at higher temps, as the aud refrigeration system was not as powerful as some of the newer ones.

I could see this becoming a yearly tradition for the NHL. The Buffalo area saw about a $5 million dollar impact from the game with hotel rooms and sales of food in area restaurants. 2 years in a row the city has benefited from sporting events with the men's NCAA basketball tournament rounds 1 and 2 last year and this game this year
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
brad162
Cell Phones, Hockey, and Beer!

Phone: Pick one of 14!
SU$: 406
Send a message via Yahoo to brad162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The league has already indicated an interest in doing it again. Obviously it needs to be a cold weather city and have a stadium that is laid out in a way to make it possible.

Maybe NY and the old Giants stadium before it meets the wrecking ball? Columbus at Ohio State's field? Imagine doing it at a college stadium that seats almost 100,000!

Their were a couple things the league could have done better (getting people out with shovels more often to clear the ice) but it was obviously a learning experience. Dealing with the 6 inch "crown" on the field was a big enough hurdle to deal with, and was the cause for most of the ice issues. I wonder if using the chemical in the water that the old "aud" had in buffalo would have helped. It made the ice "harder" at higher temps, as the aud refrigeration system was not as powerful as some of the newer ones.

I could see this becoming a yearly tradition for the NHL. The Buffalo area saw about a $5 million dollar impact from the game with hotel rooms and sales of food in area restaurants. 2 years in a row the city has benefited from sporting events with the men's NCAA basketball tournament rounds 1 and 2 last year and this game this year
I would love to see a game here at Ohio State's field, but i do not see it happening just because it just cannot seem to get cold long enough for it to happen. The most time we've seen this winter with temps below 32F are usually 4-5 days, but that's only happened a few times this winter.

It would be really hard to keep the ice cold unless they had a really good refrigeration system that would be powerful enough to keep two rinks cold on indoor ice, although im not sure if it would be possible to lay the brine lines that close together without causing an issue with the system.

There's a rink about an hour from Columbus that i know started as an outdoor rink but they ended up enclosing it because the winters here were not cold enough to keep it up, there is also one out by the indoor rink in Dublin, although it looks a little old, so i do not know if it's in use at all anymore.

Leaving the big red V in Jan, cant wait to dump them!
brad162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
wearmaize
Formally known as Mr.me2

Phone: Razr v3m
SU$: 662
Send a message via AIM to wearmaize
The game ended well, I enjoyed it.

It was a slow moving game, and I laughed at the switching sides every 10 minutes.

Props for the avatar go to ccalvinn.
wearmaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #20
pdx77
SU Podcast Team

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Samsung Moment
Trades: 1
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 19,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.me2 View Post
The game ended well, I enjoyed it.

It was a slow moving game, and I laughed at the switching sides every 10 minutes.
They only switched sides in the 3rd period at the 10 minute mark (and at 2:30 in OT.)

I thought it was a great game, lots of exctement built around it, *the ice problems they were having did cause some nice long delays however that did kind of slowed the game down, but that was all part of the fun.

It was fun to watch the player's faces as it looked like they really were enjoying this, almost like being a kid again, playing hockey on the pond. *

Last edited by pdx77; 01-11-2008 at 05:35 PM.
pdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #21
Dashacheal
Telegraph User

Phone: DashachealTO
SU$: 239
Sabres/Penguins to play outdoors

With that said, since M.A. Fluery had to come in to play the final 17 seconds of the game, is Johnson credited with the shutout still, or do both Johnson and Fluery share the shutout?
Dashacheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Arena > Hockey > Sabres/Penguins to play outdoors

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: