Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
DJRider
Former SU Mod Grampus Misfire

Mood: Pensive
Trades: 8
My Mood: Pensive
SU$: 102,526
Verizon Wireless to Pay Up to $90 Million in Refunds

Verizon Wireless to Pay Up to $90 Million in Refunds

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/te...EXCITE&ei=5043

By EDWARD WYATT
Published: October 3, 2010

WASHINGTON – Verizon Wireless said Sunday it will pay up to $90 million in refunds to 15 million cell phone customers who were wrongly charged for data sessions or Internet use, one of the largest-ever customer refunds by a telecommunications company.

The company’s statement came as Verizon Wireless held talks with the Federal Communications Commission about complaints of unauthorized charges and after questions about a possible settlement of an F.C.C. investigation into the issue.

Verizon said in its statement that 15 million customers either will receive either credits ranging from $2 to $6 on their October or November bills or, in the case of former customers, refund checks.

In its statement, Verizon Wireless said that the charges affected customers who did not have data usage plans but who were nevertheless billed because of data exchanges initiated by software built into their phones or because of mistaken charges for inadvertent episodes of Web access.

In the last three years, the F.C.C. has received hundreds of complaints from Verizon Wireless customers who said they were charged for data usage or Web access at times when their phones were not in use or when they mistakenly pushed a button that was preprogrammed to instantly active the phone’s Web browser. Beginning in 2009, The New York Times and The Plain Dealer of Cleveland, among other publications, reported that customers had been complaining of the charges but had often been ignored by Verizon Wireless.

People close to the settlement talks who spoke on the condition of anonymity said they expected the refunds to total more than $50 million.

“Verizon Wireless values our customer relationships and we always want to do the right thing for our customers,” Mary Coyne, deputy general counsel for Verizon Wireless, said in the statement.

The announcement of the refunds might not end the issue for Verizon. People close to the talks said the F.C.C. had been pressing the company to enter into an agreement to pay a penalty for the unauthorized charges, which would serve as a deterrent for companies that might discover similar circumstances but fail to alert customers in a timely manner.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Just goes to show you, they all have billing issues. Verizon will spin this as great news for customers though and the media will go along with that also
Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
No surprise here. I already knew Verizon was crooked...
Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 31,957
I have had a couple of accounts with them also and both had messed up billing issues. This last one with my dad was data as well and it took me so long to get them to even look at it. No, this doesn't surprise me at all.

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
usernameOU812
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Nexus4
SU$: 7,623
But they have a great network & give free smartphones to new customers!
So what if VZW cops a feel without their customers knowing?

<sarcasm>

Last edited by usernameOU812; 10-04-2010 at 10:13 AM.
usernameOU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Quill
Lyla's mommy

Phone: S6 Active
Trades: 19
SU$: 100,434
Ooh, ooh, bet the customers can't wait for the $2 to $6 refund.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
this just reminds me of office space. stapler and all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: