Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
bill_mchale
Telegraph User

Phone: Optimus S
SU$: 751
Connectbot on Optimus S?

Hi, new to this particular forum (Though I have been a lurker for a while). Anyway, after spending the last year and a half regretting my decision to get a feature phone (mainly because of how annoying it is to use midpssh with it!) I am looking to jump onto the Android ship.

This forum has been very helpful so far -- many thanks.

Now, a little background. I am a system admin, and therefore, while not needed often, I really value being able to connect to the systems I administer from my phone. It has saved my butt a couple of times; several time on an HTC Touch, and once or twice on my LG Lotus. Now, other than being anchored with Windows Mobile, the Touch did a pretty good job though the small resistive touch screen made using a soft keyboard somewhat painful (not as bad as you might think with the TouchPal keyboard). The Lotus on the other hand -- well, nothing wrong with the phone, but midpssh was not fun. It might work better on blackberries... but I don't intend to find out.

So, I am looking at getting an Android phone, and specifically Android 2.2. At the moment on Sprint, that limits me to the Optimus or the Evo. With the 4.3" high res screen, I have no doubts about whether the Evo would meet my needs -- except for my budgetary needs . I can swing the Evo, but if the Optimus will meet my needs, that will make my wife much happier . So, my basic question comes down to how easy is it to be very accurate with the soft keyboards on the relatively small relatively low-res screen? On a unix system I can't rely predictive text or auto-correction; I need to be able to enter the specific characters I want. I am not looking for 300 or even 60 characters a min..... 15-20 would be fine if they could be accurate nearly every time. (I know for texting I can take advantage of predictive text and/or text correction to really speed up).

So, any thoughts? would the Optimus S be a good choice to run connectbot with?

Thanks again.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
oso
Telegraph User

SU$: 151
I was also concerned about how accurate I'd be able to type on the relatively small screen, but when I played with it at the Sprint store, I was able to type out a quick text message with almost no errors. I'm coming from a dumb phone, so I'm definitely not used to typing on a touch screen either. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how accurate it is.
oso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oso For This Useful Post:
bill_mchale (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
rush2112
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 1,158
Why type when you can speak. Speak clearly and it gets it correct pretty much all the time.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
the_details
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic
SU$: 2,086
I'd find a store with a live demo and give it a whirl to be sure. Also, Sprint has one of the best return policies with it's 30 day guarantee. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always trade up for the Evo.
the_details is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Cheapo Android
SU$: 5,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Why type when you can speak. Speak clearly and it gets it correct pretty much all the time.
He's talking about typing in specific command line prompts, if I understand correctly.

You simply *CAN'T* voice dictate syntax. Period.

Nor can you swype them, honestly. At least not without great difficulty.

That being said, I have found the keyboard to be adequate on the Optimus. Coming from a Touch Pro 2, losing the keyboard was my biggest reservation. But, its really better than I expected to be, especially with the phone turned landscape orientation (much bigger and easier to type).

Again, I haven't used it to type out any code or command lines, but I can tell you it is WORLDS better than typing on a Vogue (Touch). I have one of those, too. Love the form factor of that, but MAN that thing is tiny!
dishe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dishe For This Useful Post:
bill_mchale (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
So how would it handle the following:

:1,12s/^/#++/

My guess is that speech entry is oriented towards messages and the like, not the sort of input that a system admin might be required to do to resolve an issue.

Also, some of the places I might have to log in from might not be ideally suited to me speaking clearly at the time.

Thanks for your response though.

--
Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
He's talking about typing in specific command line prompts, if I understand correctly.

You simply *CAN'T* voice dictate syntax. Period.

Nor can you swype them, honestly. At least not without great difficulty.
You hit the nail on the head. I need to be able to precisely input characters, not words. I don't need to type an 'ls -al' command and have it come out 'last' or 'lest all' or what have you.

Quote:

That being said, I have found the keyboard to be adequate on the Optimus. Coming from a Touch Pro 2, losing the keyboard was my biggest reservation. But, its really better than I expected to be, especially with the phone turned landscape orientation (much bigger and easier to type).
The only potential problem here is that my research suggests that Connectbot expects to be used in portrait mode when used with a soft keyboard.

Quote:

Again, I haven't used it to type out any code or command lines, but I can tell you it is WORLDS better than typing on a Vogue (Touch). I have one of those, too. Love the form factor of that, but MAN that thing is tiny!

Thats good to know. The default keyboard on the Touch was essentially useless for me (Fine if using it to message with predictive text). I quickly found the TouchPal keyboard and that allowed me to do most everything I needed to do (though occasionally I had to use the microsoft soft keyboad with a stylus to get access to special characters not on the TouchPal (at least not at the time).

And yeah, it did have a small screen.. 2.6" diagonal.. so probably only about 67% of the Optimus's area.. let alone a 3.5 or 4.3" screen .

Has anyone tried loading an alternate keyboard for the Optimus.

--
Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_details View Post
I'd find a store with a live demo and give it a whirl to be sure. Also, Sprint has one of the best return policies with it's 30 day guarantee. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always trade up for the Evo.
I might end up doing that... but before I make a trip to the Sprint store, I want to have a good idea what to expect .

Also, if possible, I would prefer not have to trade the phone in just because I didn't do enough research on the soft keyboards

--
Bill
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > Connectbot on Optimus S?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: