Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
dantheman962
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 23
Changing Primary Line for Sprint Premier Upgrade

Hello everyone,

We are currently on a 4 line everything data family plan and have Sprint Premier status. It is my understanding that the primary line of the account is eligible for a full upgrade every year. Over a year ago, I had switched the primary from my daughter's phone to my phone in order to effectively "transfer" the early upgrade. I don't remember it taking more than a month. Recently, my wife broke her phone. We went into the Sprint store and were told that she could borrow my upgrade (since I have had my phone for a year), but would not be eligible for the mail-in-rebate on the new phone. I then decided that we should try changing the primary again to her line, which I had done on the 21st of this month. Our new billing cycle began on the 23rd, and no changes have shown up yet on the online account. My question is, how long does it usually take for a different line to become the primary phone and become eligible for the year upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
dantheman962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 31,956
It takes some time. I want to say it's at least 30 and may be 90. They do it to keep folks from doing exactly what you are doing.

My suggestion is to go to BB, upgrade the phone, and then call Sprint and have the phones changed around to the needed lines. Since you get an instant rebate at BB you don't have to worry about the rebate getting denied.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Texas
^_^

Phone: Photon
SU$: 1,365
Doesnt sprint.com offer instant rebates now (except EVO)? Go through them if you want to avoid the $18 activation fee.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Mish
Formerly known as KlutxyChix1

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: Samsung GS5
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 9,750
Send a message via Yahoo to Mish
I would just go to best buy or radio shack, I've done it... they will set up the phone with the upgrade line, you can either go to a sprint store and have them reprogram the phones to the right numbers or call sprint over the phone and do it with them.... super easy... no worries of the mail in rebate.. BB and RS don't care what you do with the phone as long as you signed the contract
Mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
BigDave757
Telephone User

Phone: HTC EVO 4G 3D
SU$: 919
they told me it takes 2 billing cycles. sprint switched my primary line and admitted it was a mistake on their part. however my wife used the upgrade but sprint said i will still get the upgrade in two billing cycles and she can keep her upgrade
BigDave757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Mish
Formerly known as KlutxyChix1

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: Samsung GS5
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 9,750
Send a message via Yahoo to Mish
Wow, sounds like a win win situation for ya!!!
Mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
huntm856
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: Note 3
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 5,465
I have a somewhat similar situation and could use some advice. I just got my early upgrade applied to my account today and used it to buy an Epic for the primary line. Just before I bought the Epic I changed my plan, and when I looked at the OLAM again after the changes went through, it now shows another line as the primary.

Now I've already bought the phone at the upgrade price, and the phone that is now showing as the primary is actually the newest phone on the account, the only one not eligible for an upgrade at this time. So it wouldn't be a bad thing to let it stay the primary and get the next early upgrade, provided I can at some point switch it back to my line.

Should I just leave it the way it is now and let the newest phone get the next upgrade, or will this screw up my ability to upgrade my phone again? When does the clock start on primary line upgrades, from the time the last one was exercised or from the time the line became the primary?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
jesmann
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Evo 4G LTE
SU$: 849
Send a message via AIM to jesmann Send a message via MSN to jesmann Send a message via Yahoo to jesmann
Check the upgrade lookup https://manage.sprintpcs.com/special...bateWelcome.do it will tell you the elligible dates
jesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jesmann For This Useful Post:
huntm856 (10-02-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
arwild01
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung Moment
SU$: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishyGA View Post
I would just go to best buy or radio shack, I've done it... they will set up the phone with the upgrade line, you can either go to a sprint store and have them reprogram the phones to the right numbers or call sprint over the phone and do it with them.... super easy... no worries of the mail in rebate.. BB and RS don't care what you do with the phone as long as you signed the contract
I've been thinking about doing this myself, but I've been wondering if I would get double (triple?) dinged on activation charges pulling this.

Full story is I'm the primary line on a family premier plan, but I'm not due to upgrade to February and my Samsung Moment is killing me. I'm willing to cough up the $250 for an Epic, but I can't afford full price. One of the lines on my account (my mother-in-law's) is due for Upgrade Nov. 1st. Now she barely understands how to use her phone, never texts, and has never been on the Internet. I really don't think she'll want to upgrade. So I'm thinking I can use her upgrade elligability to get the Epic at Best Buy and then swap the phones around... BUT wouldn't this mean:

1) Activating the Epic on her Number
2) Re-Activating the Epic on My Number
3) Re-Activating her old feature phone back on her account

I could see this costing me $60+ just for all the phone swaping.

Am I wrong? Anybody who's done this (I'm sure folks have) who can comment?
arwild01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Changing Primary Line for Sprint Premier Upgrade

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: