Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
jihoon526
Two Cans & String User

Phone: BlackberryCurve
SU$: 98
niagara is the 8830 replacement. it says first half 09, which probably means 3rd or 4th quarter...
Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
ncscotts
Telegraph User

Phone: Curve 8830
SU$: 679
There is 100% going to be a CDMA version of the "Bold" (codename is indeed Niagara). However, it is being tested on Verizon's network, so they will likely get it first. Also the Pearl Flip, currently available on T-Mo, may or may not be coming. BlackBerry has done a really crappy job marketing it, but except for the smaller size and modified keyboard, it's completely better than the Pearl as we all know it. Faster, better software, yadda yadda.
ncscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
CellGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Phone: Blackberry 9930
SU$: 8,085
Dude,

What about international world-phones as a replacement for the 8830? The Sprint 8830 has gotten no love in the form of an OS upgrade to add features like Sprint TV, MMS, etc. What will be the replacement and when will it come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncscotts View Post
There is 100% going to be a CDMA version of the "Bold" (codename is indeed Niagara). However, it is being tested on Verizon's network, so they will likely get it first. Also the Pearl Flip, currently available on T-Mo, may or may not be coming. BlackBerry has done a really crappy job marketing it, but except for the smaller size and modified keyboard, it's completely better than the Pearl as we all know it. Faster, better software, yadda yadda.
CellGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
djm
Telephone User

Phone: 8830
SU$: 746
I believe that the new production release of OS 4.5 has been released by Telus, I think.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
Complex757
BB Curve User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: Iphone 5s
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 2,806
I hope it doesn't take as long as it did with the Curve. Sprint makes it too tempting to go to another carrier.
green Sprint Kyocera phone(incredible hulk) -> Samsung SPH-N400 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Sanyo Katana -> Sanyo 8400 -> Palm Centro -> BB Curve -> HTC Hero -> HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D -> HTC Evo 4G LTE -> iPhone 5s
Complex757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
CellGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

I am being tempted now to go to ATT to get the Bold. I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and go because it will most likely be the same scenario over and over again every year. ATT will get the latest phone technology and Sprint will lag six months to a year behind. Sprint really needs to clean-up their act in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex757 View Post
I hope it doesn't take as long as it did with the Curve. Sprint makes it too tempting to go to another carrier.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
CellGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Lightbulb

I forgot to add that I remember about 5 or 6 years ago, Sprint has the BEST phones in the cellular industry and all of the other carriers were envious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
I am being tempted now to go to ATT to get the Bold. I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and go because it will most likely be the same scenario over and over again every year. ATT will get the latest phone technology and Sprint will lag six months to a year behind. Sprint really needs to clean-up their act in this area.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Eyecon82
Account Inactive

Phone: BB Tour 9630
SU$: 19,791
yea...it all started to go downhill after all that Iphone BS

I remember when Treo's were the ultimate smartphones and Sprint would always get them first
Eyecon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
deebrown
Blackberry Addict!! www.Twitter.com/DeeBrownMan

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 2,721
Send a message via AIM to deebrown Send a message via MSN to deebrown Send a message via Yahoo to deebrown
RIM

Yes I remember that too, and if memory serves me correct, sprint had the first camera phone with the Sanyo 5 series. I'm waiting for the bold and all the reps keep saying is its coming soon. They need to hurry up cause if the Pre launches next month....
deebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #25
bubbatex
Wasting too much time on forums

Phone: uh.....
Trades: 1
SU$: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
I would definitely test ATT first before you make the leap. I tried a Storm back in December and an iPhone last month. While I liked both - the Storm's hardware was not so good on call quality - both the mic and ear piece did not work so well and, where I live, VZW's network was not any better than Sprint's. The iPhone was OK (liked the Storm better), but ATT's network was awful in my house where I make 98% of my calls (home office) - dropped 3G to EDGE constantly and the coverage map said I had excellent coverage.

While I would like some more phone choices on Sprint, both VZW and ATT was going to cost me 40% a month MORE than my Sprint plan and coverage was no better or even worse. If you can be patient, new models will be here - I am going to get a Pre in the mean time and wait out the Niagara and then the new HTC WM models later this year. However, if that Bold is just calling too loud for you ignore, please make sure you have good network coverage before you bolt. IMO, the latest/greatest ain't so great if you can't make a quality call - or get 3G service for the $30/mo you are going to be spending on it.
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #26
CellGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Lightbulb

Amen Bubba. I am on the Simply Everything Plan and would incur a cost of 60 percent more per month to get the same options from ATT. Not a good deal. Sprint coverage here in OC CA is the absolute best. Sprint has full bars at my house and VZW doesn't even have a signal. I am really thinking that I should just "wait it out" and stay with Sprint. They will eventually offer a new World Edition BB and I will get it at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
I would definitely test ATT first before you make the leap. I tried a Storm back in December and an iPhone last month. While I liked both - the Storm's hardware was not so good on call quality - both the mic and ear piece did not work so well and, where I live, VZW's network was not any better than Sprint's. The iPhone was OK (liked the Storm better), but ATT's network was awful in my house where I make 98% of my calls (home office) - dropped 3G to EDGE constantly and the coverage map said I had excellent coverage.

While I would like some more phone choices on Sprint, both VZW and ATT was going to cost me 40% a month MORE than my Sprint plan and coverage was no better or even worse. If you can be patient, new models will be here - I am going to get a Pre in the mean time and wait out the Niagara and then the new HTC WM models later this year. However, if that Bold is just calling too loud for you ignore, please make sure you have good network coverage before you bolt. IMO, the latest/greatest ain't so great if you can't make a quality call - or get 3G service for the $30/mo you are going to be spending on it.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #27
bubbatex
Wasting too much time on forums

Phone: uh.....
Trades: 1
SU$: 12,465
Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and back away from the cliff!
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #28
HChristianS
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 2,703

hmmm that Jupiter Sounds really nice...
HChristianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #29
jtreeves
Two Cans & String User

Phone: 8830
SU$: 472
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post

I just did some research on VZW's website to see what a Storm would cost. If I did a straight switch and kept the features I have with Sprint, my monthly costs would go up about 125-150% (from about 227/mo to 345/mo - I didn't really do the math, just guessing).

HOWEVER, when I went to RIM's website to see who else besides VZW might be offering the phone, I found Wirefly (www.wirefly) is offering the phone - using VZW's network and billing, at a substantial discount.

1. The phone costs $99 for two phones.
2. A family plan costs $149/month for all included phones - for 3,000 minutes.
3. BB Data plan (called email and web access) is quite reasonable ~$45/mo each.

The total monthly cost under Wirefly, using VZW's network and billing system, comes to $230, $30 less than I'm paying for unlimited everything through Sprint. My plan expires in the fall. I plan to check back with Wirefly then to see if their costs are the same.

Keep in mind that Sprint is using VZW's network so there should be no difference in coverage.

JR
jtreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
CellGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Correction: Sprint is NOT using VZW's network. Where did you get that idea?

There are some cases where Sprint will roam onto Verizon's network in areas where Sprint does not have coverage. It is important to understand that Sprint operates their own network and have better coverage than VZW is some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreeves View Post
I just did some research on VZW's website to see what a Storm would cost. If I did a straight switch and kept the features I have with Sprint, my monthly costs would go up about 125-150% (from about 227/mo to 345/mo - I didn't really do the math, just guessing).

HOWEVER, when I went to RIM's website to see who else besides VZW might be offering the phone, I found Wirefly (www.wirefly) is offering the phone - using VZW's network and billing, at a substantial discount.

1. The phone costs $99 for two phones.
2. A family plan costs $149/month for all included phones - for 3,000 minutes.
3. BB Data plan (called email and web access) is quite reasonable ~$45/mo each.

The total monthly cost under Wirefly, using VZW's network and billing system, comes to $230, $30 less than I'm paying for unlimited everything through Sprint. My plan expires in the fall. I plan to check back with Wirefly then to see if their costs are the same.

Keep in mind that Sprint is using VZW's network so there should be no difference in coverage.

JR
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > Upcoming BlackBerries for Sprint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: