Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Dysdiadochodokanestic
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

Mood: Stressed
Phone: Photon & BB
My Mood: Stressed
SU$: 2,772
Verizon and ATT both looking to go tiered Data buckets shared on Family plans

The word is that Verizon and ATT are both going to a tiered Bucket Data plan system, which is more consumer friendly approach. Verizon may be planning to launch this as soon as this summer.

Now, with the WiFi available and having say 5GB of data bucket, I know it will be sufficient for 2 of my data phones by long shot. I can even do it with 2 GB, because I primarily use my phone for voice and use data for looking up stuff briefly when Im stuck somewhere or to order food etc.

Thus far the whole Unlimited mantra PLUS iPHone has not helped move the stock prices upwards - Dont you guys think that an aggressive data sharing option from big red or ATT could further threaten, an already fragile Sprint ?
Dysdiadochodokanestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
goodiemob
9330 curve 3G

Phone: curve 3G
SU$: 3,202
Collusion.
goodiemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Kendog210
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 19,775
Have they said pricing and data amounts for this family data (ATT)?

I hope they do this soon if it will save me money. I pay the $25 for each phone for 2GB's each. But I dont really need that much. It would be great if I could get 2-3 GB's for a family data plan and then save maybe $10-$20 more a month.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
SirSmokesAlot
Formerly known as Sprintguy4ever

Phone: LG F6
SU$: 18,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysdiadochodokanestic View Post
The word is that Verizon and ATT are both going to a tiered Bucket Data plan system, which is more consumer friendly approach. Verizon may be planning to launch this as soon as this summer.

Now, with the WiFi available and having say 5GB of data bucket, I know it will be sufficient for 2 of my data phones by long shot. I can even do it with 2 GB, because I primarily use my phone for voice and use data for looking up stuff briefly when Im stuck somewhere or to order food etc.

Thus far the whole Unlimited mantra PLUS iPHone has not helped move the stock prices upwards - Dont you guys think that an aggressive data sharing option from big red or ATT could further threaten, an already fragile Sprint ?
this wont hurt sprint at all...sprints the ONLY network with true unlimited data..just wait till NV/LTE starts to go live when they do no more slow data for sprint

tho if sprint doesnt do a mass roll out of NV/LTE then thats the only thing thats going to hurt/hurting them...just really hope they do this fast cuz its the only way they can live

Sprint - the best at being the worst

If I help in any way please click the THANKS button
SirSmokesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
schmidtj
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: iPhone
SU$: 3,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysdiadochodokanestic View Post

No doubt ATT and Verizon will screw this up from the customer perspective. The shared buckets will be sized to you get thrown in the $$ per GB overage sooner rather than later.
schmidtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Pyramid-3
Account Locked

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 10,901
I think the phone companies should get together and buy or form a credit card company that way when their nonsensical data plans drive everyone deeply into debt they can pick up all that debt and charge 30% interest on them thereby preventing their own rules from ejecting customers for nonpayment while making drug-lord type money.
Pyramid-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
JeffDTD
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Samsung EPIC
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 18,855
Send a message via AIM to JeffDTD
Anyone who expects to get more for their money with these shared plans will need to be a very small data needs customer. Its a slippery slope though... usage trends can increase, at 4g speeds, with equal usage. How? Many apps adjust their bandwith usage ( youtube, for example) based on the available speed.

JeffDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Kendog210
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDTD View Post
Anyone who expects to get more for their money with these shared plans will need to be a very small data needs customer. Its a slippery slope though... usage trends can increase, at 4g speeds, with equal usage. How? Many apps adjust their bandwith usage ( youtube, for example) based on the available speed.
I agree. And thats me. I have two lines under the 2GB per line for $25 each. But we dont use 1/2 GB per month per phone. So fo me, a 2-3GB shared plan would be perfect. If they sold it for $30, then I would save $20 more a month and my bill for 2 lines would be about $128 a month. Shoot, if they offered a 1 GB family package that would be great also. Maybe 1GB for $20 a month. Then my bill would be around $118 a month. And if I go over from time to time then I would just pay the $10 extra for that month. I hope ATT starts this ASAP.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
If the pricing is good, this will be a hit, but I'm sure they'll come up with some sort of pricing scheme that sucks.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
schmidtj
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog210 View Post
I agree. And thats me. I have two lines under the 2GB per line for $25 each. But we dont use 1/2 GB per month per phone. So fo me, a 2-3GB shared plan would be perfect. If they sold it for $30, then I would save $20 more a month and my bill for 2 lines would be about $128 a month. Shoot, if they offered a 1 GB family package that would be great also. Maybe 1GB for $20 a month. Then my bill would be around $118 a month. And if I go over from time to time then I would just pay the $10 extra for that month. I hope ATT starts this ASAP.
Yep. All those New iPad 3 owners that burnt though their 1,2,5GB LTE plans in just minutes or hours. LTE screams but they consume massive amounts data given the chance. Personally I don't think it's worth $20/hr in overage charges just to watch a HD movie on Netflix.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Kendog210
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtj View Post
Yep. All those New iPad 3 owners that burnt though their 1,2,5GB LTE plans in just minutes or hours. LTE screams but they consume massive amounts data given the chance. Personally I don't think it's worth $20/hr in overage charges just to watch a HD movie on Netflix.
Some people just need to lesson their data uses. Guess it just depends on the person. I only have a wifi ipad so no issue for me. I just get on wifi and use the network when there is no wifi for my phone needs (which isnt often)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
VDubb
The Guru

Mood: Amused
Phone: iPhone 5
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 36,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtj View Post
Really? I guess I must be using mine wrong since I haven't gone over my monthly 2GB plan on my iPad (4G LTE VZW) since launch.

- VDubb
Old 05-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
schmidtj
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubb View Post
Really? I guess I must be using mine wrong since I haven't gone over my monthly 2GB plan on my iPad (4G LTE VZW) since launch.

- VDubb
Either have I and I'm on the VZ 1GB plan. There ARE lots of folks out there that are oblivious until they get hit with the overage charges. ATT &VZ love those kinds of folks and the shared plans they are devising will exploit it. Does ANYONE really think ATT & VS really want to contrive a plan that will make them less money?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49
If the pricing is good, this will be a hit, but I'm sure they'll come up with some sort of pricing scheme that sucks.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubb

- VDubb
You must, torrents + netflix + Pandora + apps (especially ios sizes) = should be just about over that easily

_(`._( My Ice Cream Is Better Than Yours )_.)_

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Dysdiadochodokanestic
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

Mood: Stressed
Phone: Photon & BB
My Mood: Stressed
SU$: 2,772
Honestly, the promising part is Sprints commitment to Unlimited Data - **Sarcasm** - Because, regardless whoever leads the way, Verizon OR ATT, the other will follow soon. And with the pricing, that structure is bound to turn more profitable - they will gradually increase the $/GB for those of us who use data heavy on the phone.

And mark my words, Sprint ***WILL*** follow their footsteps, only after 20% of current Sprint customers would already have jumped the boat.
Dysdiadochodokanestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Verizon and ATT both looking to go tiered Data buckets shared on Family plans

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: