Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
asdf002
Telegraph User

SU$: 176
Possibilities for BB users w/ non-BB data plans

Just thought I would make a post to get users such as myself that do have BB's but don't have the either BIS/BES data plans instead regular data plans. I have an 8330 and am on a sprint plan w/ vision power pack (sero plan) so I don't find it necessary to pay another $30+ for a BB data plan. This post is not to debate why to get the BB or to flame on ppl like myself who don't have a BB plan even though we have BB's, but instead to maximize BB's w/ regular data plans. So please no "BB w/o bb data plan = trash/useless/dumb/waste" comments.

As of now here are a list of working apps that I was able to install through DM;
1) Google Maps - internal GPS not working properly but maps do render fine
2) Jivetalk - works flawlessly as expected
3) GPSed
4) Opera Mini - browsing works great, but still having troubles using the in app download function. That specific function seems to be missing from BB versions of Opera mini.
5) Gmail
6) Weatherbug
7) Viigo - this app requires extra steps to update feeds. I have to leave the program running in the back in order to receive feeds. If the program is closed completely it requires a reset of the viigo to get the new feeds and I seem to be only able to connect using the TCP network connection option.

I had a BB plan for a couple days, but canceled it b/c I couldn't justify the extra $30 dollars. During the period that I had the BB plan I was able to get BB maps to work and currently I am still able to use BB maps ONLY in areas that I "tracked through" when I did have the BB plan.

Again these programs were all installed using the DM. These are only a couple apps that I was interested in putting on my BB, but if anyone else out there has had success putting other apps on their BB through non-OTA methods please do share. I hope this helps some ppl.
asdf002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
livingaboard
Telephone User

SU$: 1,792
I have been wondering this

myself, even after viewing the sticky's about the BB plan.

I should be getting my BB tonight or maybe tomorrow and I have a great deal on the unlimited power vision/text messaging that I don't want to give up for the more expensive BB plan.
livingaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
year3000
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Pearl 8130
SU$: 25
I am having a problem installing google maps. I have to do it with the DM. I am running into the same problem that I did when I was trying installing Opera mini. I downloaded that update from palm which then allowed me to put gmail and opera on it. but now I get the same message I used to get when first trying to put those on: No additional applications designed for your device were found.

update:
nevermind, I didn't realize that when I was trying to add it I was still on the gmail file that i had already load on, so it works now

Last edited by year3000; 06-06-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: figured out my problem
year3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Proctor
Digital PCS User

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Droid X
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 13,270
This is great timing because I'm looking to so something similar.

I have power vision and we have a BB server at work. Can I connect through my work BB server and not use the BB data plan? What do you get with the BB data plan that you don't have with power vision?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Proctor
Digital PCS User

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Droid X
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 13,270
Nevermind.. I just read the FAQ's. Plans for BES are to rich for my blood and I'll go with a WM device instead.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
livingaboard
Telephone User

SU$: 1,792
I don't think it is possible to add

applications to the Curve with desktop manager, unless you have BIS..I tried to no avail with a lot frustration..I finally gave up and had them add BIS...a few minutes later I was able to get past that error message but I am still unable to transfer files..I will work on that later.

So far I am very happy with the curve
livingaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > Possibilities for BB users w/ non-BB data plans

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: