Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #316
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Cheapo Android
SU$: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuru View Post
You are incorrect. A single Framily would be $55 + $20 unl data = $75/mo

Unlimited MyWay would be $50 + $30 unl data = $80/mo

So no matter what SERO is still way cheaper.
False. I switched 2 of my lines from SERO to Framily, have been using my phone the same way I always did since joining Sprint 7 years ago and have saved money so far.

Quote:
I've never heard of the 500 anytime being a problem for anyone. Who calls landlines anymore? If I need to call a toll free number and don't want to use my 500 AT pool I can just make the toll free call with Skype.
People who use their phone for work. My wife is a teacher and tutor, she used to go over her minutes all the time. I used to have to avoid calling tech support, etc, on the road because I was afraid of being put on hold for too long. My friend in IT had to give up SERO because he uses... wait for it... over 3,000 daytime minutes to landlines. He runs his business over his cell on location, and NEEDS to be able to communicate with other businesses and support all day (which are not mobile numbers).

So, I'm glad that SERO works for you. No one said everyone values data over minutes. For me? I'm almost always in a Wifi covered area, and my hometown has Optimum hotspots all along the major roads. I was SHOCKED when I checked my monthly data usage, as I used to consider myself a heavy user. Turns out most people don't use as much data as they think (or at least, this is true of my friends and family around here).

But this is neither here nor there. The savings aren't as dramatic as they used to be now that SERO is no longer $30. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
dishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #317
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

(Also helped that I joined some extended family in their Framily plan, so I've never had to pay more than $25 so far- which is dramatically cheaper, even if I were to add unlimited data, which I don't see the value in at the moment. But this is neither here nor there, my point is just that SERO at $50 isn't so ridiculously cheaper than the average plan these days, and there is no reason to assume any handset restrictions).
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #318
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 1,849
What handset restrictions on SERO are you referring to? I'm not aware of any smartphone that's not available for my SERO plan. For $50/month, I have unlimited data, text, and virtually unlimited calling (especially with mobile to any network) on my LG G2.
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #319
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
What handset restrictions on SERO are you referring to? I'm not aware of any smartphone that's not available for my SERO plan. For $50/month, I have unlimited data, text, and virtually unlimited calling (especially with mobile to any network) on my LG G2.
This thread dates back to the original SERO plan, back when it was a screaming deal for $30 with unlimited data. Back then, Sprint was nervous about new slick smartphones wrecking havoc on their data network, so they restricted us to basic phones and older smartphones (Windows Mobile, Palm OS and certain blackberrys if I recall correctly).
Eventually they allowed us to jump on newer handsets like Android and WebOS (of blessed memory) if we were willing to pay $10 more and switch to Sero-Premium, which is when this thread was created and why the title says what it does. For $40, you didn't get restrictions. At least, until the new premium 4G devices came about, and once again they were locked out unless you were willing to pay ANOTHER $10 on top of that, bringing the grand total to $50+tax. That price isn't a bad deal for what you are getting, although its a tough sell coming from the $30 original plan (which my wife wouldn't give up, btw- she was using a palm centro until about 2 months ago). Also, whether you want to admit it or not, its dangerously close to what the average cell phone plan costs per line, and actually MORE than what it costs for discounted plans like that T-mobile Walmart deal or the Framily plan.

If I absolutely needed unlimited data, I could add it on to my $25 Framily line and still be paying less than SERO. But I'm not and I don't, so I'm actually paying HALF, actually less than my original $30 SERO plan with all of its restrictions, but now I'm allowed whatever phone I want and still using it exactly the same way that I have been on SERO for the better half of the last decade. It didn't make any sense for me to stay with SERO anymore, and as much as I miss being part of an exclusive club, I feel like I made the right decision leaving.

But none of that is relevant to the discussion really. I have another thread about that elsewhere. Point is, there are no longer any restrictions on the SERO plan if you are at the $50 price level. If there were, it would hardly be worth the price compared to what else is out there, honestly.

Last edited by dishe; 03-03-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #320
TechGuru
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Fine
Phone: APPLE IPHONE 5C
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 7,639
Send a message via ICQ to TechGuru Send a message via AIM to TechGuru Send a message via MSN to TechGuru Send a message via Yahoo to TechGuru Send a message via Skype™ to TechGuru
I personally would NEVER use my personal cell for heavy business usage. A company needs to provide a cell phone for their employee if they wish to remain in contact with them in-between job sites. No company should expect someone to use their personal cell phone for the company's benefit, that's like the employee going and using the company's gigabit internet connection to do all their torrent downloading at work instead of home.

If a company don't want me doing personal things with their company equipment I expect them to not want me to do company things with my personal equipment.

I prefer to do business on landlines (or good G.711 VOIP). Much clearer than cell phones.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #321
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
I personally would NEVER use my personal cell for heavy business usage. A company needs to provide a cell phone for their employee if they wish to remain in contact with them in-between job sites. No company should expect someone to use their personal cell phone for the company's benefit, that's like the employee going and using the company's gigabit internet connection to do all their torrent downloading at work instead of home.

If a company don't want me doing personal things with their company equipment I expect them to not want me to do company things with my personal equipment.

I prefer to do business on landlines (or good G.711 VOIP). Much clearer than cell phones.
I take it you're not the entrepreneurial type. I'm a freelancer in media production, and the IT guy mentioned earlier owns his own operation. Neither of us work for a company.

What's that they say about assumptions?

He has to call offices and tech support while on location daily. I call back PR people and make appointments from the road. I use a lot of Wifi and rarely break 1GB of mobile data. Tell me again why I should pay twice as much as my bill is now?

Again, I'm glad SERO works out the best for you and what you expect to do with your handset. But I think you are doing a disservice assuming that everyone in the world has the same set of priorities that you do. All the people in my circles are very interested in the framily plan- at least 12 people that I know of have switched to it since hearing about it. Its just a better deal for us. But again, why are we taking this so far off topic?

Last edited by dishe; 03-03-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #322
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

SU$: 22,265
Quote:
Ya. You can have any phone on SERO Premium. There will be a $10 premium data add on. So it's $40 + $10 a month.
correct..for a total of $50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Right- this really shouldn't be any surprise to anyone, Sero Premium + the premium data add on are $50, which is in the same ballpark as their regular plan pricing these days.
For example, a single Framily plan user without anyone to share it with is $55 (if you share it, it can actually be as low as $25 but let's assume you're on your own), and unlike SERO comes with unlimited minutes- yet has no handset restrictions. So why would SERO, which is supposed to be a discounted plan, have any?
yea, but doesn't framily have a limited data usage? unlike sero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YPG View Post
If you are ordering online, the site says you need to change your plan but does not make you change your plan to order the phone. Once you get the phone, you just call in or chat to activate but do not need to change your plan. The site just says that.
correct...i went through the same thing preordering the s5...it just said ill have to change plans..but doesnt make you at the moment

Quote:
Anyone know if one can get the Moto X on Sero Premium with $10 data add on? ($40 + $10)

Site is saying I would need to change my plan to get it....
look above
carpediem06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #323
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem06 View Post
yea, but doesn't framily have a limited data usage? unlike sero?
The base plan, but unlimited data is a $20 add on. When you're part of framily of 7 (which I am), that's $25+$20 = $45.

There are other catches to the plan (mainly no subsidies on new handsets), but the point I'm trying to make is that this isn't such a ridiculously special deal, especially compared to the price difference SERO originally used to be. When a regular plan with data was over $75 and SERO was less than half the price, it was a big deal.
But regular plans have gotten more competitive and SERO plans have gotten more expensive. The gap between them is small enough that I don't even consider it a deal for most people anymore. Case-in-point: My wife never, ever used more than 1GB of data on her SERO plan. It was just cheaper than any other plan so why not have it? Now Framily is a better deal for her- she can have a basic smartphone and only pay $25 a month. She also no longer has to watch her minute usage, which is a plus. To each their own.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #324
AkumaX
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
The base plan, but unlimited data is a $20 add on. When you're part of framily of 7 (which I am), that's $25+$20 = $45.

There are other catches to the plan (mainly no subsidies on new handsets), but the point I'm trying to make is that this isn't such a ridiculously special deal, especially compared to the price difference SERO originally used to be. When a regular plan with data was over $75 and SERO was less than half the price, it was a big deal.
But regular plans have gotten more competitive and SERO plans have gotten more expensive. The gap between them is small enough that I don't even consider it a deal for most people anymore. Case-in-point: My wife never, ever used more than 1GB of data on her SERO plan. It was just cheaper than any other plan so why not have it? Now Framily is a better deal for her- she can have a basic smartphone and only pay $25 a month. She also no longer has to watch her minute usage, which is a plus. To each their own.
Hi Dishe! How are you doing? Still rockin' the LG Optimus Black? Your wife had to watch her minutes? One thing I liked about Sprint SERO was that it was technically 500 Landline minutes/month. It had unlimited any-carrier-to-any-carrier minutes, which is arguably what most of talkative women use

Dumped Sprint SERO back in Feb for T-Mobile -- received my ETF credit just a couple weeks ago. Have T-Mobile LTE 80% of where I go (maybe 25% with Sprint), and used 11GB last month just streaming music and videos.

Sprint Framiry 7+ is a great plan for those with good Sprint coverage.

I couldn't take it anymore... even after the free credits and Airave...
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #325
dishe
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
Hi Dishe! How are you doing? Still rockin' the LG Optimus Black? Your wife had to watch her minutes? One thing I liked about Sprint SERO was that it was technically 500 Landline minutes/month. It had unlimited any-carrier-to-any-carrier minutes, which is arguably what most of talkative women use

Dumped Sprint SERO back in Feb for T-Mobile -- received my ETF credit just a couple weeks ago. Have T-Mobile LTE 80% of where I go (maybe 25% with Sprint), and used 11GB last month just streaming music and videos.

Sprint Framiry 7+ is a great plan for those with good Sprint coverage.

I couldn't take it anymore... even after the free credits and Airave...
LOL- no, my LG Marquee was in bad shape, part of my incentive to leave SERO was because I needed to replace it. Anything I'd buy would cost me an additional Premium Data fee, and at $50 a month I no longer considered SERO a good enough deal to continue. I ended up with a Samsung Victory for now, although I'm keeping an eye out for a good used Optimus F3 or even S4 mini if the price is right. I like smaller displays.

The Missus calls a lot of mobiles, fair enough, but she was still on the original SERO $30 plan which didn't include mobile calling outside the network. In fact, she barely uses 400MB of data per month, as her primary data use is email. Personally, I call a lot of business for work and end up using a lot of non-mobile minutes, and with Optimum Hotspots in most public places as well as Wifi at home and work, I really only use cellular data while commuting. I was honestly shocked the day I considered switching and went to look at how much data I was using. Without even trying to, I was keeping it at around 800MB monthly, and that's with streaming pandora on my drive! So the Framily switch was a no-brainer for me. Its cheaper and I get more without changing my usage!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #326
alexm
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: iPhone 5
SU$: 1,646
Sometimes SERO is not a good deal versus a family plan for 3+ lines, especially if users want data.

alexm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #327
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

SU$: 22,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
Sometimes SERO is not a good deal versus a family plan for 3+ lines, especially if users want data.
Not true. With 3 plans, that's $45/each plus $20/each for unlimited data for a total of $195. Versus 3 sero accounts for $50/each at $150

Only comes beneficial at 7+ lines where it knocks it down to $25 plus the $20 for unlimited data and even then, I don't think it's worth it if you can't trust all 7+ members to pay on time

-Sent from Tapatalk
carpediem06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpediem06 For This Useful Post:
KTee (06-06-2014)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > NOW OFFICIAL changes to SERO allowing "restricted" devices to be activated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: