Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: Galaxy S7 Edge
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 14,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie77 View Post
If your wife uses your upgrade for her line, she can switch it to her line right away IF the price she buys it for doesn't have the Sprint mail in rebate as part of the discount. If it does and you move it over before the 30 days mail in rebates can deny the rebate. I don;t know if this is a recent change for Sprint, but I was just educated in this tidbit a few weeks ago by my supervisor.
It seems that there isn't a "rebate" at BestBuy, Costco or Amazon.com. So, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Quote:
As far as waiving the upgrade fee, if you catch a promo or have the 3rd party actively waive the fee, you're in business. if you try to call in to get it waived, you're out of luck. Sprint reps have gotten NUMEROUS training session about how the upgrade fee is a valid charge and that we should never waive it. Ever. Corporate is really cracking down on that.
Yeah, it seems that the "upgrade fee" is yet another way that Sprint can squeeze another dime (or, in this case, $36) out of us for every phone that we buy.

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Subie77
Sprint Chic

Mood: Psychedelic
Phone: Droid Charge
My Mood: Psychedelic
SU$: 1,128
That's why I said 'Sprint rebates' I don't even pretend to know how it works with 3rd party retailers.
Subie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
ccchhhrrriiisss

So...we are considering the purchase from Amazon.com. We may get out of the online taxes (for the time being...California requires/suggests that residents list them when they file state taxes). And, of course, we have free two day shipping.

How does the $36 "upgrade fee" get charged to us if Amazon is MAILING these phones to us and we manually swap devices via Sprint.com?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
That's why I said 'Sprint rebates' I don't even pretend to know how it works with 3rd party retailers.
Ahhh...okay. I just don't know if Sprint somehow works the "rebate" into the price at BestBuy or elsewhere. We have purchased phones from BestBuy several times in the past and immediately swapped them online (via different lines) without a problem.

I am just worried that they would now "tie" the device to a certain line in our plan.

I hope not.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Subie77
Sprint Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
So...we are considering the purchase from Amazon.com. We may get out of the online taxes (for the time being...California requires/suggests that residents list them when they file state taxes). And, of course, we have free two day shipping.

How does the $36 "upgrade fee" get charged to us if Amazon is MAILING these phones to us and we manually swap devices via Sprint.com?

It's the nature of the beast. As far as ordering from Amazon, the only kind of discount price on phones I see on Amazon is with a 2 year service renewal. I would double check on that, but that's the way it is for the Verizon phones on Amazon. It depends on the pricing. Can you post a link to the Amazon deal? It sounds from the pricing that this is a 2yr discount. Amazon sells you the phone for your Sprint contract. You activate the new device on Sprint and the system registers that a new phone was placed on the account, that's how they know even when you purchase from Amazon.

I personally hate that g*ddamn upgrade fee. As a rep, I would like nothing more than to waive that crap. Have us pay the activation(upgrade) fee once when we set up an account. And if the wireless carrier need money to 'technology development' then raise the cost of plans outright. At least at that point you know exactly what to expect. I would pay more for my plan over paying for an upgrade fee every time I place a brand new phone on my account. (yes, even Sprint employees with Sprint are not immune to these fees)

Last edited by Subie77; 02-29-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
Subie77
Sprint Chic

Quote:
Ahhh...okay. I just don't know if Sprint somehow works the "rebate" into the price at BestBuy or elsewhere. We have purchased phones from BestBuy several times in the past and immediately swapped them online (via different lines) without a problem.

I am just worried that they would now "tie" the device to a certain line in our plan.

I hope not.

I would double check that. Supervisors can be wrong too. If you'd like, when I go to work tomorrow I can ask around about that? (Im a CSR)
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
It's the nature of the beast. As far as ordering from Amazon, the only kind of discount price on phones I see on Amazon is with a 2 year service renewal. I would double check on that, but that's the way it is for the Verizon phones on Amazon. It depends on the pricing. Can you post a link to the Amazon deal? It sounds from the pricing that this is a 2yr discount. Amazon sells you the phone for your Sprint contract. You activate the new device on Sprint and the system registers that a new phone was placed on the account, that's how they know even when you purchase from Amazon.
http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B005LHN47S

We want to buy TWO new cell phones, but we have only one contract up for renewal. The other line will be up for renewal in a few months.

However, we have FOUR lines, and three of them are eligible for upgrades. One of those lines does not want to upgrade, so we wanted to use that line's upgrade for my wife's phone.

Quote:
I personally hate that g*ddamn upgrade fee. As a rep, I would like nothing more than to waive that crap. Have us pay the activation(upgrade) fee once when we set up an account. And if the wireless carrier need money to 'technology development' then raise the cost of plans outright. At least at that point you know exactly what to expect. I would pay more for my plan over paying for an upgrade fee every time I place a brand new phone on my account. (yes, even Sprint employees with Sprint are not immune to these fees)
I agree. There needs to be greater truth in advertising.

The government recently decided to require the airline industry to advertise the "bottom line" cost (including all taxes, fees, surcharges, etc...) when they advertise a price.

It would be great if the same thing could be done with the cellular industry. Instead of just nickeling and diming us to death, we would be fully aware of the REAL cost of phones and plans.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
I would double check that. Supervisors can be wrong too. If you'd like, when I go to work tomorrow I can ask around about that? (Im a CSR)
That would be great! However, we are likely going to order the phone today...so we can have it by Friday/Saturday.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Subie77
Sprint Chic

Oh ok. I'm still going to ask though so that I know for the future and can spread the knowledge to my Sprint customers on here
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
CtotheP
Telegraph User

SU$: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2Bsquare View Post
I thought Costco kicked Sprint to the curb years ago.
I just bought my Epic 4G Touch from Costco 2 weeks ago Online only
CtotheP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
ccchhhrrriiisss

Exclamation

We went ahead and ordered two phones at Best Buy yesterday.

After spending several hours with Sprint on the phone (with conflicting information coming from the reps that we spoke with), we were offered a few retention perks (free activation on all of our lines, and some promised credits adding up to about $155). We decided to renew with Sprint.

We learned a few things:

1. Best Buy charges taxes on the FULL PRICE of the phone (and not just the discounted price or the after-rebate price). We purchased a Samsung Galaxy SII (for me) and my wife chose the Motorola Photon. The price for both devices was $249.98. However, we paid more than $100 in taxes.

2. If you want a better retention deal, call multiple times....and speak with a supervisor. Our initial offer from retentions was for $10 for two months. My wife felt insulted that this was all that Sprint was willing to offer after being customers for 10 years who were willing to leave ETF free. After several calls, we were able to get a better deal that would tip the balance for us to stay with Sprint. And ALWAYS make sure that the reps note whatever deals that they are offering.

3. Best Buy was able to swap upgrade lines without penalty. This was a fear that we had, since one of our lines was NOT eligible for an upgrade. The Best Buy rep simply used the upgrade from another line and activated a phone and swapped it.

4. The prices online were better for one of our phones. Online companies like Amazon, Costco and even Radio Shack had a better price for the Samsung Galaxy SII than Best Buy. However, you would have to pay shipping in a couple of those cases and the process of ordering was confusing. Best Buy has a "club" that offers perks with every purchase. In our purchase, we "earned" a couple of $5 gift cards.

So far, I am very happy with my purchase. The Galaxy SII is a great phone -- and my wife is very pleased with her Motorola Photon.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
KB112
sIgh-Phone

Mood: Breezy
Phone: iPhone 7 Plus
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 22,277
Quote:
We went ahead and ordered two phones at Best Buy yesterday.

After spending several hours with Sprint on the phone (with conflicting information coming from the reps that we spoke with), we were offered a few retention perks (free activation on all of our lines, and some promised credits adding up to about $155). We decided to renew with Sprint.

We learned a few things:

1. Best Buy charges taxes on the FULL PRICE of the phone (and not just the discounted price or the after-rebate price). We purchased a Samsung Galaxy SII (for me) and my wife chose the Motorola Photon. The price for both devices was $249.98. However, we paid more than $100 in taxes.

2. If you want a better retention deal, call multiple times....and speak with a supervisor. Our initial offer from retentions was for $10 for two months. My wife felt insulted that this was all that Sprint was willing to offer after being customers for 10 years who were willing to leave ETF free. After several calls, we were able to get a better deal that would tip the balance for us to stay with Sprint. And ALWAYS make sure that the reps note whatever deals that they are offering.

3. Best Buy was able to swap upgrade lines without penalty. This was a fear that we had, since one of our lines was NOT eligible for an upgrade. The Best Buy rep simply used the upgrade from another line and activated a phone and swapped it.

4. The prices online were better for one of our phones. Online companies like Amazon, Costco and even Radio Shack had a better price for the Samsung Galaxy SII than Best Buy. However, you would have to pay shipping in a couple of those cases and the process of ordering was confusing. Best Buy has a "club" that offers perks with every purchase. In our purchase, we "earned" a couple of $5 gift cards.

So far, I am very happy with my purchase. The Galaxy SII is a great phone -- and my wife is very pleased with her Motorola Photon.

Paying sales tax on the full retail price is a CA tax law. We got hosed big time on that one, even on free phones we have to pay full retail sales tax. Thats why my last upgrade I went through Wirefly, got my Evo 3d for $69.99 with free S/H and no sales tax.

Edit - Another thing to consider is with instant upgrades it may be to your advantage to buy at Sprint. Last time I looked, their retail price for phones like the iPhone, was $50-$75 less than BestBuy prices. Which means less getting taxed to you. Every little bit helps.

Last edited by KB112; 03-01-2012 at 11:31 PM.
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KB112 For This Useful Post:
ccchhhrrriiisss (03-01-2012)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Buying a Sprint phone from Amazon, Costco or BestBuy...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: