Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
rain110302
Two Cans & String User

Phone: LG Fusic
SU$: 125
Complicated Account Upgrade, most favorable route?

I'm looking for some advice on the most favorable method for upgrading my account. I'll try to explain the situation as concisely as possible.

I'm a long time sprint customer with 3 lines of service. I get an employer discount and pay upwards of $200 per month. None of my phones is eligible for an upgrade at least for the next couple of months. The plan we're on is an outdated "grandfather" plan...

My mother-in-law, who lives out of state, is also a Sprint customer. She has two lines of service and and a very outdated, basic plan. Probably the most basic, inexpensive plan possible, which includes no minutes. Both phones on her plan are basically only used for emergencies. She has no contract and hasn't upgraded either phone in many years.

What we would like to do is to cancel my mother-in-law's service and add two new lines of service onto our plan under the friends and family plan. We will have to change to one of the new (current) plans to do this. This is okay because it will probably save us money anyway.

However, a couple of catches are that my mother-in-law would like to keep her number, which is in a different area code and assigned by a different Sprint computer system than ours, which meant they couldn't switch it for us in the first affiliate store we tried to do this at.

Also, I wonder if we're eligible for any rebates on new phones either because we're adding two lines of service or because my mother-in-law may be eligible to upgrade her phone. The funny thing is, she would rather keep her old phone or use one of my old phones, so the new phones would actually ultimately be assigned to other numbers on my account, not the new lines of service...didn't know if the discounts could work this way. I think in spirit it works out the same way for Sprint since all of the phones and contract ultimately fall under me no matter which way you slice it, which is why I'm asking for advice -- perhaps this would best be handled by customer service *2, some other customer service #, or a particular type of store (I've heard "corporate store" mentioned...??)

Any advice appreciated!!
rain110302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Dzalumni
And the home of the SIOUX!

Phone: Treo Pro
Trades: 1
SU$: 11,954
Send a message via AIM to Dzalumni Send a message via Yahoo to Dzalumni
A couple of questions:
First:
If you mother's two lines are only used for emergency use, why does it matter what area code she has on her phones? Especially if you are adding her to the family account, she will have free long distance.

Second:
What is the budget you would like to keep it around. What features do you want on each line?

Third:
If your mother is out of contract, why not port her number to your sprint account, at least you don't have to do a transfer of liability.

Hopefully answering some of these questions will provide us with more information in helping you out.

Lastly !

Buddy, who knew what your life was like, before you joined our family.You brought, laughter, sunshine and smiles to our family. You are missed. R.I.P my sweet one.
Dzalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
plik
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Motorola A620
Trades: 3
SU$: 1,010
Send a message via AIM to plik
If you're on an old grandfathered plan, most likely the codes to add her onto yours as sharing minutes simply don't exist anymore. To further compound matters, she's in a different CSA (think: area code) in an affiliate market. Their plan codes are generally way different than the national ones so getting even current plans to work together is a pain.

You're really better off trying to find a current plan that works for all 5 lines. No amount of calling retentions or executive services or whoever is going to magic up the codes in the system.

If you want to keep the numbers, then you're not adding two new lines of service. You're simply transferring them. Any phone discounts you might receive will be for whatever they're eligible for based on the upgrade program. Once you've got the newly discounted phone, you can push it over to whatever line you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzalumni View Post
If your mother is out of contract, why not port her number to your sprint account, at least you don't have to do a transfer of liability.
Since it's going from one Sprint account to another, it is not a port. It'll have to be a Transfer of Liability.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
rain110302
Two Cans & String User

Talking

Quote:
A couple of questions:
First:
If you mother's two lines are only used for emergency use, why does it matter what area code she has on her phones? Especially if you are adding her to the family account, she will have free long distance.
It's just one of those things...she's simply uncomfortable having a phone with an area code outside of her local are code. Also, she'd prefer to not change her current cell number.
Quote:
Second:
What is the budget you would like to keep it around. What features do you want on each line?
I'd like to stick close to $200/month. 3 lines have TEP, PV (basic/access), unlimited text. I add SprintTV Live to one of the lines. Nights starting at 7pm is fine, but I'd like to upgrade one of the PV's to the music pak. We need approx 1,000 minutes per month. The other two lines don't need anything like text or PV on them. They will have the very old sprint phones attached to them and hardly ever be used. I do get a 14% discount (employee/university deal).

Quote:
Third:
If I understood the differences in process and benefits of doing this, I probably would! So far anyone I've talked to at Sprint has only indicated that we can transfer the line with a transfer of liability.

Quote:
Hopefully answering some of these questions will provide us with more information in helping you out.

Lastly !
Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks so much for taking the time to try to answer my questions!!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
rain110302
Two Cans & String User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by plik View Post
You're really better off trying to find a current plan that works for all 5 lines. No amount of calling retentions or executive services or whoever is going to magic up the codes in the system.
I'm totally open to changing to a current plan because my research indicates I will save money by doing so anyway. I think some of my perplexity was caused by the fact that I ran all this by an affiliate store first, and they couldn't do anything and really didn't have good information for me. No offense to affiiliate stores, it's just that I should have known they're not equipped for that level of cs.

I called my local corporate store (after I posted here), and they can transfer the numbers for us, so that is good. I've worked with them before; they're great, and I *think* they will help us navigate our way onto a new plan...however...

Quote:
If you want to keep the numbers, then you're not adding two new lines of service. You're simply transferring them. Any phone discounts you might receive will be for whatever they're eligible for based on the upgrade program. Once you've got the newly discounted phone, you can push it over to whatever line you want.
I'm still not getting anywhere in regards to getting a discount on phones, so I could use some advice in that area. We are eligible for savings in the sense that my mother-in-laws two phones are quite old -- she bought them years ago and has never upgraded. However, she is not interested in new phones. Therefore, we'd like to attach the new phones to other lines on our account. Otherwise, the savings is just going to sit there and go to waste. If need be, we can activate the phones under one number and ESN swap after. However, we'd have to be able to ESN swap basically within a day otherwise no one would be able to use their phone...

people at Sprint that we've talked to have implied that the phones had to stay with the number they're activated on forever...?? That doesn't seem to make sense to us. Nor does it make sense as to why it matters where we apply the discount since it's all the same account. Since I had better luck accomplishing the transfer with a corporate store vs. affiliate, I'm wondering if there's someone else I should be talking to about the upgrade of the two handsets? Just trying to make sure we get what we feel we're genuinely eligible for...

Thanks also for taking the time to answer my questions!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
plik
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Motorola A620
Trades: 3
SU$: 1,010
Send a message via AIM to plik
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain110302 View Post
people at Sprint that we've talked to have implied that the phones had to stay with the number they're activated on forever...?? That doesn't seem to make sense to us. Nor does it make sense as to why it matters where we apply the discount since it's all the same account. Since I had better luck accomplishing the transfer with a corporate store vs. affiliate, I'm wondering if there's someone else I should be talking to about the upgrade of the two handsets? Just trying to make sure we get what we feel we're genuinely eligible for...
Your plan will work. Just do an ESN swap a little later (or right after if the rep you get is cool with it). It's been years since I worked for Sprint but, if they're getting commission for upgrades now, then the new phones would likely have to stay on those lines for X amount of days. Which is why they're telling you they'll have to be there forever.

Once you have the discount, you have the discount. Sprint will not go back and bill you the difference. Period. So you'd either be able to call into customer service to do the swap or go to another store.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
rain110302
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Your plan will work. Just do an ESN swap a little later (or right after if the rep you get is cool with it). It's been years since I worked for Sprint but, if they're getting commission for upgrades now, then the new phones would likely have to stay on those lines for X amount of days. Which is why they're telling you they'll have to be there forever.
Oh! I see... That would make sense to me if this boils down to a commission thing...

Well, I've also written into ecare about this. I received a very cryptic response from the rep that I'm trying to clarify. She basically said yes I have to call *2, but I wrote a long e-mail, so I'm not even positive what she was saying yes to...so, we'll see.

The more I think about it, the more I think there should be a way to do this because all we're really asking for that could be considered a perk is to switch phone numbers around on the same account. What's the big deal about that to Sprint really, right?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
rain110302
Two Cans & String User

Okay, I received an explanation from ecare. It seems I certainly am permitted to have any of my handsets assigned to any number on my account that I wish. However, I may need to do this via *2.

I think we've found a reasonable solution!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
rain110302
Two Cans & String User

I'm happy to report that Sprint honored their word and all of my mother-in-laws rightful discounts as she upgraded phones and extended her contract. Later, we were indeed able to call Sprint and swap ESN's however we wished. All reps were VERY helpful both in the corporate store and on the phone.

The only catch was that we weren't on ensemble yet, so the TOL was more complicated and couldn't be completed until sales/support opened. This actually made things much more complicated than they needed to be, although ultimately everything worked to our satisfaction in the end, and the rep is expertly handling everything with as little inconvenience to us as possible.

...more than reasonable...great prices...and I love my new phone...go Sprint!!

Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Complicated Account Upgrade, most favorable route?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: