Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
hoofbeats95
Telephone User

SU$: 3,184
Thoughts on Optimus S coming from HTC Hero

I just thought I'd post this for anyone else considering the switch.

When I got the Hero I believe it had 1.5 on it. Then to do the 2.0 upgrade you had to download it and install it by hooking to your computer and it wiped the phone. It was a PITA to say the least. I ended up with double contacts for everyone. The phone was never the same again. It wasn't truly snappy to begin with, but now it was worse. You would tap to call someone and it would take several noticeable seconds to actually complete the call. When I was in mail, I would hit menu and the phone pad would come up and totally mess me up as I was prepared for different screen - tap in the appropriate location and do the next tap which would call someone. Yikes.

I have had the Optimus activated since Friday evening. So far I LOVE it. Snappy little phone.

Things I like:

The proximity sensor so I don't hang up on people when talking or call people when listening to the VM.

The speed - no lag on dialing.

The dedicated camera button.

The new OS!

SWYPE texting! LOVE IT!

Did I mention speed? Apps load faster, FB loads faster. . . so far so good.

The things I miss from Hero:

The refresh time on the email app. I like to know when the last time my email was auto checked.

The LED notification light. I can get around this with an app on the Optimus, but so far that app isn't doing what it should. So have to look into that.

The little scroll wheel thingy. . . there are times in a text I need to move to a specific place. Sometimes on a website the page links are small and I used that wheel. I didn't realize how much I used that.

The sound of my alarm!

Ok - the summary is I love the Optimus. I wanted a new, snappy phone for a cheap price without the $10/month 4G charge. This phone was FREE online. So it fit the bill. I can't believe what a joy it is to use. Much more user friendly than the hero - even though they are both android phones. The Optimus is just more friendly. I don't regret the switch at all.

Last edited by hoofbeats95; 01-04-2011 at 02:53 PM.
hoofbeats95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
The Optimus is like the Hero with everything fixed. I highly recommend it. Why they did not include an LED is beyond me. What could it have cost? A buck, maybe?
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
hoofbeats95
Telephone User

Yeah that's kind of a bummer. LG isn't new to making phones. A LED is a MUST! I can live without, but I will be happy when I have a phone that has it again.

I will say this - I'm finding it hard to break the habit of trying to pull down the notification screen when I make or take a call. That's how I got around the issue with the hero and my cheek-hang-ups! lol. Now I tap to dial and immediately go to pull down the notification screen before I remember I don't have to! YAY! Oh and the Optimus answers the call so much faster. With the Hero the person the other end would say hello at least 2 or not three times when I answered. Because it would quit ringing on their end I presume but I wouldn't have said anything yet because the dang phone was so laggy. That's unacceptable with a phone today. There is no reason to be so laggy. I'm in love with my new phone! Thanks to everyone that helped me decide to go for it.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
KAT
Digital PCS User

Phone: Samsung m610
SU$: 14,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan
The Optimus is like the Hero with everything fixed. I highly recommend it. Why they did not include an LED is beyond me. What could it have cost? A buck, maybe?
No LED is odd indeed... however, I find FlashNotify almost better than a LED. It lights the entire screen up with a alert tone, so for me its even easier to notice than a dinky light flashing somewhere on the phone, so its basically a moot issue to me now.

But yeah I kinda consider this phone the Hero II. Sprints follow up to the Hero. And for WAY less if not free. The only thing to me that would be the icing on the cake for this phone would be a slightly bigger screen than the Hero, 3.5 iPhone size would be nice, but then again that would mean more pixels, and more work for the phone to do making it not quite as fast probably. But all things considered, especially for the price, I think this phone has taken a lot of people by surprise. It seems to do everything its supposed to and does it well, not to mention it looks nice, has a great feel in hand and a quality build that belies the price. The only problems I've had so far was a quirky card, and a bad app, which had nothing to do with the phone itself.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
mcantu
Telegraph User

Phone: Nexus S 4G
SU$: 389
on the one i looked at today the text on the screen looked very blurry compared to the Hero i was holding next to it. anyone else notice this?
mcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
KAT
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu
on the one i looked at today the text on the screen looked very blurry compared to the Hero i was holding next to it. anyone else notice this?
Probably from all the finger smudges on the screen from a million people playing with it lol. But no I didn't notice such a difference coming from the Hero.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Duffman
Eh.

Hero is about EOL anyway. March I think.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
KAT
Digital PCS User

Another major plus over my Hero is battery life. WAY better on Optimus ... by a mile.

A side note... when I first got the Optimus, I hated not having the hard buttons at the bottom not stay lit. In dark situations I had to hit any button, right or wrong, to light them up to see which button was which. For those who don't know, you can just lightly press the camera button down half way, and they light up for a few seconds so you can see them. Of course I find this out now when I have the buttons memorized, but it might be a helpful tip for others.
NYHusker (01-04-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
hoofbeats95
Telephone User

Yup! Battery life is noticeably better.

Thanks for the tip on the camera button. I haven't run into needing to see those buttons yet but I prob will.

Somehow as I was playing with that I managed to get little thumbnails to appear for my five homescreens (haven't installed LauncherPro yet). I can't duplicate it though. No clue how I did it.

I'm using FlashNotify now and it's working for me. I didn't think it was working before but I think I had the flashes too far apart so I didn't actually see it. I tested it yesterday and now it's working. Just got a text that I wasn't expecting and I saw the flash! YAY.

I also think the camera interface is better. I KNOW when the picture is going to take. Instead of hoping it takes *soon* with the Hero. The lag was worse in the hero. And the share interface is better with the Optimus I think. Though I do need to figure out how to chose a FB album instead of going to mobile albums by default. Still lots to learn, but I love it!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
KAT
Digital PCS User

Hoofbeats, on a homescreen, with two fingers slightly apart, put two fingers on the screen and pinch them together. This should bring the thumbnails of the screens up. If you're only using 3 or 4 screens I guess its really not needed but if you have 6 or 7 it could be handy. Really recommend giving Launcher Pro a try. Makes phone even easier to use and has some real good features and ways to customize/personalize your screens.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
hoofbeats95
Telephone User

Nope. That doesn't work. Hmm. I have no clue how I did it. I will give LP a try though. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Bluerobin
Telegraph User

Phone: Optimus S
SU$: 67
Send a message via AIM to Bluerobin
If you touch and hold on the application button (the center one on the bottom of the screen) your other screens will show up as thumbnails. I have done it by accident so many times and couldn't figure out how until I just tried it out.
Bluerobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Duffman
Eh.

I believe you can bring up recently used apps by holding the Home button as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
KAT
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofbeats95
Nope. That doesn't work. Hmm. I have no clue how I did it. I will give LP a try though. Just haven't gotten around to it.
That is weird. I thought that was a standard finger gesture for 2.1/2.2. Maybe it only works like that with Launcher Pro... I forgot to try that finger gesture before installing it.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
hoofbeats95
Telephone User

I do get recently used apps by holding the home screen.

I googled and if you touch and hold the dots that represent the screens (bottom left and right of the three buttons on the bottom) then the thumbnails appear.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > Thoughts on Optimus S coming from HTC Hero

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: