Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
psychotron
Telegraph User

SU$: 596
Well I can tell you I got fed up with Android and bought an iPhone 4s a month ago, just sold it 2 days ago and I am back on Android with a Razr Maxx. I highly suggest you use an iPhone for a few days before committing to it because there are a lot of things with iOS that are just awful. Examples? The dialer. I love the way the Android dialer will start bringing up contacts as you type, iPhone won't. You have to download a separate app and use that but the two best ones I found don't give you the option to add that number as a contact. So I was stuck between two options.

Email is another example. If you want to get push notifications for Gmail, you have to jump thru a bunch of hoops to set it up. When in an email, if there is a phone number, you can press it but you only have an option to call that person. With the Gmail app on my Android phone, pushing that number takes me to my dialer and I can call, text or add that number to my contacts. Don't even get me started on something as simple as putting a new ringtone on your phone. You need to hook your iPhone up to your computer and sync it thru iTunes just to do it and thats after you've downloaded it and emailed it to yourself. I could keep going on, just way too many things that are a PITA on ios.
psychotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
derfnoslen
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Nexus S 4G
Trades: 2
SU$: 5,686
I'll take all of that if I can get an update on time. Even if I buy the galaxy s3 I'd still be waiting until the 4 is released before I could even hope to get a new Android version.
derfnoslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleko View Post
Sadly, I'm starting to think the same thing. I've been a big fan of Android and never liked (and still don't) Apple as a company and iPhone specifically, so even just the fact that I'm even thinking about buying an iPhone scares me...

But after having owned the Nexus S 4G since day one, and especially since installing the much anticipated ICS, I'm getting more and more disappointed. I'm not even sure if I'm disappointed with the phone itself, with Android in general, or with Sprint... Or all of the above.
Add one more Qualcomm also.

From my reading on the subject is that the CDMA variants of the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are subject to Qualcomm approval.

Hence Google gave up on CDMA upgrades to said phones and the carriers are now responsible for any future Android upgrades.

When I had the Nexus S 4G when I had Sprint it was a excellent phone, but the GSM variants are much better IMO as upgrades go.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #34
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotron View Post
Three reasons this isn't going to work well.

1) They are about 5 months late. Why is Sprint so behind on getting everything? Most phones seem to come later to Sprint and lets not even get into LTE.

2) After the Nexus S 4G debacle, does anyone REALLY believe this is a "pure" Google device? The whole point of owning a Nexus branded phone is to not have carrier bloatware and to get the newest version of Android as soon as its released. Two things the Nexus S 4G failed miserably at. This is NOT a pure Google phone.

3) Sure, its LTE capable, but where is LTE available on Sprint? Like nowhere. Its not Wimax capable which means you will be running this on 3G until LTE becomes available to your area? Yea, no thanks. That could be 2014.
The only true "pure Google" phones in my experience thus far are the unlocked GSM Nexus variants as the carriers themselves will put crap on any and all Android phones. Just my 2 cents for today.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #35
mcantu
Telegraph User

Phone: Nexus S 4G
SU$: 389
Quote:
Three reasons this isn't going to work well.

1) They are about 5 months late. Why is Sprint so behind on getting everything? Most phones seem to come later to Sprint and lets not even get into LTE.

2) After the Nexus S 4G debacle, does anyone REALLY believe this is a "pure" Google device? The whole point of owning a Nexus branded phone is to not have carrier bloatware and to get the newest version of Android as soon as its released. Two things the Nexus S 4G failed miserably at. This is NOT a pure Google phone.

3) Sure, its LTE capable, but where is LTE available on Sprint? Like nowhere. Its not Wimax capable which means you will be running this on 3G until LTE becomes available to your area? Yea, no thanks. That could be 2014.

ok, these are just silly...

1) its taken this long because Verizon had an exclusivity deal on the GN

2) i have a NS4G and there is zero bloatware on it. yes, ICS took forever (its there now) but there were a number of gingerbread updates to the phone

3) LTE is launching in 4-5 markets (luckily i'm in one of them) over the next month. more areas are supposed to be rolling out over 2012/2013. verizon is still going though its LTE rollout

Last edited by mcantu; 04-16-2012 at 11:10 PM.
mcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #36
psychotron
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
ok, these are just silly...

1) its taken this long because Verizon had an exclusivity deal on the GN

2) i have a NS4G and there is zero bloatware on it. yes, ICS took forever (its there now) but there were a number of gingerbread updates to the phone

3) LTE is launching in 4-5 markets (luckily i'm in one of them) over the next month. more areas are supposed to be rolling out over 2012/2013. verizon is still going though its LTE rollout
So you would pay top dollar for a brand new device that can only run on 3G until they put LTE in your area? Thats beyond silly. Only the VERY few people slated to get it in the next few months will have any interest in this phone. By the end of the year, there will already be way better phones released. I really hope Sprint is going to make it clear to people this phone will only run on 3G (seems they are burying that in small print) or I would expect a truckload of returns.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotron

So you would pay top dollar for a brand new device that can only run on 3G until they put LTE in your area? Thats beyond silly. Only the VERY few people slated to get it in the next few months will have any interest in this phone. By the end of the year, there will already be way better phones released. I really hope Sprint is going to make it clear to people this phone will only run on 3G (seems they are burying that in small print) or I would expect a truckload of returns.
LTE doesn't factor into everyone's buying decision yet because the LTE footprint is just too small.

Even Verizon. Their coverage is quite small in my state. Drive 15 minutes in any direction from the metro area and the next nearest LTE tower is another 3 hours away in another state.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SU Forum app
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #38
psychotron
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
LTE doesn't factor into everyone's buying decision yet because the LTE footprint is just too small.

Even Verizon. Their coverage is quite small in my state. Drive 15 minutes in any direction from the metro area and the next nearest LTE tower is another 3 hours away in another state.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SU Forum app
http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#!/coverage

Verizons LTE is in over 200 cities. Its going to take Sprint years to reach that number. So again, why would you buy an LTE enabled phone at a premium price, pay extra for 4G and not be able to even use that feature? Sprint really screwed up. They should have started working on LTE years ago. Instead they opted for Wimax, a technology that everyone knew would never take off and is already dead not even 2 years later. Gigantic waste of money and time.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Quote:

Verizons LTE is in over 200 cities. Its going to take Sprint years to reach that number. So again, why would you buy an LTE enabled phone at a premium price, pay extra for 4G and not be able to even use that feature? Sprint really screwed up. They should have started working on LTE years ago. Instead they opted for Wimax, a technology that everyone knew would never take off and is already dead not even 2 years later. Gigantic waste of money and time.
Sprint is not special in this regard. Whenever there is a new speed technology introduced, the phones are always available before coverage. We went through this with 2G, 3G, Wimax, HSPA+ and LTE. It's a cycle.

Sprint got their 3G coverage done fairly quick. That didn't mean Verizon and AT&T shouldn't bother rolling out their own 3G services to remain competitive.

As I said, LTE coverage is pathetic on all carriers at this point, and will probably never be as ubiquitous as 3G. For that reason alone, it's not a factor to me.
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
irev210
Telephone User

Phone: Audiovox 6601
SU$: 2,031
Quote:

Sprint did not opt for WiMAX - the FCC forced them to deploy WiMAX or lose ALL of their 2.5GHz spectrum. The wireless world is full of old decisions that have lasting effects. Research why Sprint deployed WiMAX before you jump to conclusions.

So... call it what you will, but I would say it was worth holding onto the spectrum.

By the end of 2012 sprint will cover 123 million pops with 4G LTE (vs. AT&T's 150 million). By the end of 2013, the rollout will largely be done (over 250 million pops covered).

Are they behind? Yes. Will they catch up very quickly? Yes.
irev210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #41
psychotron
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irev210 View Post
Sprint did not opt for WiMAX - the FCC forced them to deploy WiMAX or lose ALL of their 2.5GHz spectrum. The wireless world is full of old decisions that have lasting effects. Research why Sprint deployed WiMAX before you jump to conclusions.

So... call it what you will, but I would say it was worth holding onto the spectrum.

By the end of 2012 sprint will cover 123 million pops with 4G LTE (vs. AT&T's 150 million). By the end of 2013, the rollout will largely be done (over 250 million pops covered).

Are they behind? Yes. Will they catch up very quickly? Yes.
I have very little faith that a carrier who took 6 months to update the Nexus S 4G to ICS is going to get an entire LTE network up and running to 250 million people in a timely manner. Not going to happen. They will be doing good to reach half that. Having said that, I still kept a few lines open with Sprint just in case they get LTE up, it stays unlimited and some good phones come out. We'll see.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #42
irev210
Telephone User

Phone: Audiovox 6601
SU$: 2,031
Quote:
I have very little faith that a carrier who took 6 months to update the Nexus S 4G to ICS is going to get an entire LTE network up and running to 250 million people in a timely manner. Not going to happen. They will be doing good to reach half that. Having said that, I still kept a few lines open with Sprint just in case they get LTE up, it stays unlimited and some good phones come out. We'll see.
I agree the upgrade path to ICS for the Nexus S 4G was a little ridiculous.

check out s4gru.com - I was a non-believer as well until I dug into the whole thing. The plan is pretty solid and they are deploying in major cities across the country.
irev210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #43
TonyTurboII
Resident Android Expert

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: Epic Touch
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 9,363
Quote:
So you would pay top dollar for a brand new device that can only run on 3G until they put LTE in your area?
Yes. This area is blanketed in 4G, and I never use it. I'm always on 3G or wifi.

Quote:
Verizons LTE is in over 200 cities. Its going to take Sprint years to reach that number. So again, why would you buy an LTE enabled phone at a premium price, pay extra for 4G and not be able to even use that feature?
AGAIN, YES.
TonyTurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #44
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,401
I wonder if the Sprint version will have the Qualcomm radio?
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > LTE Rollouts / Upcoming Devices / Network Vision > GNex to launch 4/15

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: