Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #46
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
Hope this gets worked out
I hope so too as it is such an easy fix.
I mean if Sprint and Google would have done better QC this would not have been a problem. Just my opinion.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #47
mbell75
Account Inactive

Phone: Nexus S 4G
SU$: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL15 View Post
I hope so too as it is such an easy fix.
I mean if Sprint and Google would have done better QC this would not have been a problem. Just my opinion.
There is NO way to QC something like this. As we have said before, the Evo had all these problems and even more when it launched and they were fixed within a few months. Every new phone has issues and if you cannot live with them, best not to buy one.
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
JustinHoMi
Telephone User

Phone: Motorola Photon
SU$: 829
This is a reception issue. My previous two phones (Palm Pre and Samsung Moment) worked flawlessly from my home.

However, I barely get a signal with the Nexus S. It roams 40% of the time, and call quality is terrible from here.

Other than reception, the phone is very nice. But, considering that this is a Samsung device, I'd consider it extremely unlikely that these problems will ever be resolved. Samsung has had hardware issues with almost every phone that they've released in the last 10 years. But hopefully it is a software issue, and something that can be easily updated. If it's not fixed before my 30 days is up, then this phone is going back. I hate to return it, but after all... this is a "phone", and it's primary function (making calls) does not work.
Denso TP -> Sanyo 6200 -> Samsung A600 -> Treo 600 -> Red Sanyo 8200 -> Sanyo 7400 -> Sanyo 7500 -> LG Fusic -> Motorola Q -> Motorola Q9C -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Moment -> Nexus S -> Evo 3D -> Motorola Photon
JustinHoMi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinHoMi For This Useful Post:
msecc (05-27-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #49
0dB
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: Whatever works
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 8,038
Has anyone done a survey or comparison of 'Time without a Signal' numbers when setting the phone to 'Home Only'. I'd really be curious to see if over time this reduces the percentages. If for some reason the phone is 'flapping' between Sprint CDMA signal and adjacent GSM/WCDMA signals this could account for the slow data speeds and in particular the long Ping times....just a thought.
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #50
1timer
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 51
This is so disappointing-- I was hoping to pick this up with the recent news of the locked bootloader on the Evo 3D.. I guess I'll wait for the SGS II?
1timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #51
maryinredding
Telegraph User

SU$: 380
I have mine on Home Only and am experiencing 28% without signal. Is this a lot????
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #52
0dB
Cellular Phone User

I'm not going to post a link but Engadget has posted some sort of 'investigative' report on the NS4G's signal issues.

I did a lot of side by side testing of my newly purchased NS4G and my Evo 4G today and the Evo is faster on most tests. Some are the same but most are faster. The differences are much less apparent when I am indoors and both devices have a relatively poor signal. When I go outside the Evo gets a much better lock and the speed tests are almost twice the speed of the NS4G in most cases.

That said, I am not having any service interruptions or completely lagging results like some people have reported. The Engadget results were pretty similar. While not as fast as other Wimax devices it is within the claimed speeds for the service.

I'm going to hang on to the NS4G for awhile and see if they come up with a fix or if the Evo 3D comes out make a decision on which one to keep. I really like the form factor of the NS4G over the Evo 4G.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #53
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
The issue has been confirmed by Google and Sprint.

The story has gone mainstream as well

Engadget Investigates: Samsung Nexus S 4G WiMAX performance issues -- Engadget

I returned my Nexus S to Sprint, and got a replacement. The issue was not solved, and they indicated they were on their 4th shipment. An employee there got his online, and was plagued with the same 4G performance issues.

variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #54
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
Like I said it is a radio software, and Sprint/Google need to fix this quickly....
Old 05-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #55
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 6
SU$: 21,615
Embarrassing that Sprint would release this before working out such a major issue with Google. It's not like they've never seen this problem before on new phones.

A firmware update should sort it out, but it's really a shame this wasn't checked before release. Shows you how desperate they are to get the new hot devices out the door and into paying customers' hands.
rambo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #56
eieiomax
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Cheerful
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Embarrassing that Sprint would release this before working out such a major issue with Google. It's not like they've never seen this problem before on new phones.

A firmware update should sort it out, but it's really a shame this wasn't checked before release. Shows you how desperate they are to get the new hot devices out the door and into paying customers' hands.
Do you really think this just slipped through the cracks or was knowingly issued this way to sell devices?

With all the backlash that faulty devices get now from the blogs, fourms and websites?
eieiomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #57
mcantu
Telegraph User

SU$: 389
if you are getting low speeds with the speedtest app try going to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and compare your speed. apparently there is a problem with speedtest and newer phones...
mcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #58
0dB
Cellular Phone User

I did all my testing using the Speakeasy webpage. The Evo 4G got just about double the 4G speeds every time.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #59
mbell75
Account Inactive

SU$: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
I did all my testing using the Speakeasy webpage. The Evo 4G got just about double the 4G speeds every time.
Who cares about speed tests? My friend had her Evo over here the other day and we both launched the same websites together, my phone loaded 2 of them faster, hers loaded a few a second faster and a few were too close to call. Do you have video proof of the Evo 4G being twice as fast doing real world things like loading videos, opening websites or anything useful aside from a lame speed test?
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #60
0dB
Cellular Phone User

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I'm one of the people on the extreme upside of this problem. For some people the radio is barely working. I've said over and over that most people who don't do speed tests would not notice the problem I am seeing. But most NS4G owners are reporting much worse results than what I am seeing. Including complete loss of data connections and missed/dropped calls. That's not good.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Samsung > Defective 4G Wimax radio in the Nexus S 4G

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: