Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
mcantu
Telegraph User

Phone: Nexus S 4G
SU$: 389
for those with 4G issues, check your area on the coverage map. from what it says there, being indoors really affects your signal strength...
mcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I dont remember the Evo having a 4G problem. It definitely had issues but 4G isnt one that I can remember.
When the EVO launched it had a registration/deregistration 4G issue.
Sprint launched a fix in short time.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
for those with 4G issues, check your area on the coverage map. from what it says there, being indoors really affects your signal strength...
That should be a given for folks to check coverage..
Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #34
mcantu
Telegraph User

SU$: 389
i just did some more testing and it doesnt seem like signal strength affects 4G speed. after a hard reset, i max out at 3.5 down/1 up Mbps whether i have a full signal or 1 bar. i wonder if Sprint might be throttling speeds? didnt they do that with another phone last year?
mcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
GoldenBlaze
Account Locked

Mood: Relaxed
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 23,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieiomax View Post
Sold mine after 6 months, I could not keep up with the patches and hacks that it required to work..
This is my 5th month owning the EVO and its going on Ebay tomorrow. I'm getting the Nexus S. The bugs are nothing compared to some of the other devices I've had when they launched. When you have owned smartphones as long as we have, we already know the first batches are really for the manufacturers and carriers to learn what the bugs ARE.

For the current Nexus S owners, thanks a million for keeping the flow of knowledge going. I will be joining you guys shortly!

GoldenBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #36
rx8rob
Telegraph User

SU$: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
I'm in the Tampa Bay FL area and both my house and work are in the dark blue on the 4G coverage map and I cannot get the 4G to connect when I'm inside at either place. No signal when outside at home either. Outside at work I'm able to get one bar.

I also have weak voice & 3G signals when I'm inside at work.

Last edited by rx8rob; 05-17-2011 at 01:57 PM.
rx8rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #37
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Today I went to another Sprint store that is 6 miles from the previous store and my home, and I tested my personal Nexus S, and a demo Nexus S sitting right next to an Evo and Epic.

I tested all three on the same servers and the Nexus S had 4G download speeds that were 3-4Mb less than the Evo and Epic. What become apparent, is the Evo was always the fastest phone with speeds usually above 6mb consistently. The Epic was typically in the 4.5Mb-5.5Mb range. The Nexus S was always between 1.25Mb-3.2Mb.

This is abysmal 4G performance compared to other Sprint 4G phones.

Someone recommended I do a factory reset, which I did. The only thing that fixed was my YouTube app issue. Otherwise, everything is the same.

I'm going to give Sprint up until the June 3rd to fix this issue. If it is not resolved, I will return the Nexus S 4G and activate a beater phone I have till the HTC Evo3D becomes available. Though, I will be damn sure to check the 4G speed before walking out the store with one.

The worst thing is I chose the Nexus S specifically to get away from the bloatware and Sense UI.
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #38
mbell75
Account Inactive

SU$: 8,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
Today I went to another Sprint store that is 6 miles from the previous store and my home, and I tested my personal Nexus S, and a demo Nexus S sitting right next to an Evo and Epic.

I tested all three on the same servers and the Nexus S had 4G download speeds that were 3-4Mb less than the Evo and Epic. What become apparent, is the Evo was always the fastest phone with speeds usually above 6mb consistently. The Epic was typically in the 4.5Mb-5.5Mb range. The Nexus S was always between 1.25Mb-3.2Mb.

This is abysmal 4G performance compared to other Sprint 4G phones.

Someone recommended I do a factory reset, which I did. The only thing that fixed was my YouTube app issue. Otherwise, everything is the same.

I'm going to give Sprint up until the June 3rd to fix this issue. If it is not resolved, I will return the Nexus S 4G and activate a beater phone I have till the HTC Evo3D becomes available. Though, I will be damn sure to check the 4G speed before walking out the store with one.

The worst thing is I chose the Nexus S specifically to get away from the bloatware and Sense UI.
Yep, reports abound on other forums of terrible 4G compared to other Sprint phones, even 3G sucks. I got rid of my Evo for the same reasons you did too. If this issue isnt resolved by early June, phone is going back.
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #39
LAYZEEDUCK
Telephone User

SU$: 390
i'm experiencing intermittent connecting issues with 4G as well =( and i'm in the metro LA area too, where the signal map indicates i should have strong 4G coverage. i'll need to try that hard reset.

does anyone know if all settings on the phone are restored after a hard reset? there's a "back up my data" option which is supposed to store your settings onto Google servers, but am not quite sure if it'll retain all my phone settings..
LAYZEEDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #40
0dB
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: Whatever works
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 8,038
On May 16th mbell75 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Google has known about this issue since May 2nd, thats more than 3 weeks and still nothing...
How is EXACTLY 14 days MORE than 3 weeks? Jeez, I've been away from this forum for 9 months and you are still in here exaggerating and instigating.

Regurgitating quotes from other forums is not really all that helpful. Anyone can find all that information with an ounce of effort. How about posting some screens shots of your NS4G signal strength numbers and some speed tests...if you actually have a Nexus....

I was hoping to find some useful information about the NS4G but first I will have to filter out all of this noise.
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 0dB For This Useful Post:
TonyTurboII (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #41
mbell75
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dB View Post
On May 16th mbell75 wrote:

How is EXACTLY 14 days MORE than 3 weeks? Jeez, I've been away from this forum for 9 months and you are still in here exaggerating and instigating.

Regurgitating quotes from other forums is not really all that helpful. Anyone can find all that information with an ounce of effort. How about posting some screens shots of your NS4G signal strength numbers and some speed tests...if you actually have a Nexus....

I was hoping to find some useful information about the NS4G but first I will have to filter out all of this noise.
http://phandroid.com/2011/05/18/nexu...lost-big-time/

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/17/nexu...eption-issues/
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #42
0dB
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: Whatever works
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 8,038
I'm not disputing that there is probably a reception issue for many people. That is one of the reasons I'm holding back on getting the NS4G.

What I'm saying is you exaggerate, antagonize and basically redistribute information that is freely available elsewhere while adding no actual value.
0dB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 0dB For This Useful Post:
TonyTurboII (05-18-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #43
irev210
Telephone User

Phone: Audiovox 6601
SU$: 2,031
Using the speedtest app I get the same speed limit of about 3.5-4mbit (while I get ~10+mbit on the evo).

When using tether function I can get over 12mbit (while the EVO can only get ~4-5mbit tops).

Seems like there is a software issue with speedtest.net app and the nexus - not a defective radio.

Overall, the performance on the NEXUS is MUCH faster. You would be silly to return it.
irev210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #44
mbell75
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by irev210 View Post
Using the speedtest app I get the same speed limit of about 3.5-4mbit (while I get ~10+mbit on the evo).

When using tether function I can get over 12mbit (while the EVO can only get ~4-5mbit tops).

Seems like there is a software issue with speedtest.net app and the nexus - not a defective radio.

Overall, the performance on the NEXUS is MUCH faster. You would be silly to return it.

You joined 6 years ago and this was your first post?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #45
B Feelgood
Telegraph User

SU$: 113
Hope this gets worked out
B Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Samsung > Defective 4G Wimax radio in the Nexus S 4G

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: