Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
darkloki
Telephone User

SU$: 1,155
battery is Garbage

I don't know what the deal is, but I just charged my phone next to my bed overnight, saw 100% battery,unplugged it, sent a text message out, somewhat lengthy, 97%. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I'm sending this phone back during my 30 days before it's too late. I understand bad battery life, or poor performance, but this is just beyond ridiculous. You can literally watch the battery meter widget just start a count down as you go from one ap to another as if you're spending cash. If phones like this naturally have better battery performances on GSM, so be it I'll just have to switch. If the phone won't last me half a day I need to get off it, sending out a slew of texts per day is going to be a huge no no I assume on this phone.

Last edited by darkloki; 08-09-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
darkloki
Telephone User

Just checked again, it doesn't even matter what I do it just drops to 97% right after I unplug it, does this mean the Widget is off? The widget is called Batterylife and I found out about the widget on this very forum.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
darkloki
Telephone User

I've had the phone for 3 days, and I've set things up properly setting the LCD to 25%, shutoff WIFI, GPS, and everything else. There is not a whole lot more I can do other then close out the Battery Widget as well, as it's my Only widget, because according to the forums that too drains your battery. I'm simply out of ideas other then that. I'm using the batterylife widget by curvefish, and if this is accurate then my phone is draining the battery 3 percent every min leaving the actual phone usage at 33 mins total, now tell me what's not garbage about the battery again?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
pad191
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 3,106
Actually, that's very common darkloki. It has to do with the trickle charge with the lithium ion battery. Basically if you charge overnight, when the battery hits 100%, it stops charging and instead starts to drain. It doesn't show up on the battery meter but that's quickly adjusted as you start using the phone. Hence the sudden drop. The only solution to this is to get a wall charger (one where you take the battery out and put it inside the charger to charge it to full). Another partial solution is to take it off the charger in the morning, use it a little and wait for the drop, then plug it back in until it turns green. Also, the drop shouldn't go farther than 90% before stabilizing.

Also, make sure you've looked at all the battery improvement tips. I've lasted 15 hours or so with 100-150 texts received and sent, so you shouldn't dump the phone just because of the 3% drop.
The Following User Says Thank You to pad191 For This Useful Post:
unveilmyeyes (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
tool2269
Rocket Surgeon

Mood: Sneaky
Phone: Galaxy S5
My Mood: Sneaky
SU$: 18,797
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad191 View Post
Actually, that's very common darkloki. It has to do with the trickle charge with the lithium ion battery. Basically if you charge overnight, when the battery hits 100%, it stops charging and instead starts to drain. It doesn't show up on the battery meter but that's quickly adjusted as you start using the phone. Hence the sudden drop. The only solution to this is to get a wall charger (one where you take the battery out and put it inside the charger to charge it to full). Another partial solution is to take it off the charger in the morning, use it a little and wait for the drop, then plug it back in until it turns green. Also, the drop shouldn't go farther than 90% before stabilizing.

Also, make sure you've looked at all the battery improvement tips. I've lasted 15 hours or so with 100-150 texts received and sent, so you shouldn't dump the phone just because of the 3% drop.

And I thought I was having a case of the mondays...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
the_hustleman
Telephone User

SU$: 1,673
I agree with the last comment, if u root u can make even more life out of it with nothing but texts.

But be warned, if u use the phone to its full potential then no, you won't get great battery life, but decent battery life for a smartphone
Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 57,605
Hell, if the OP is worried about a 3% drop in battery better not get any cell phone then. GSM or not. Cause in my experience of 13 years all my phones have dropped part of a charge after being unplugged from a charger.

My V950 had dropped in battery life being a Qchat phone a lot quicker than the EVO could. Until I turn off Qchat.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
darkloki
Telephone User

Done, got rid of it, went back to my blackberry bold, and ordered an Iphone 4, I'll be trying that combo out now, I gotta wait 3 weeks though for it to be shipped to me. Glad sprint didn't hassle me much about giving the phone back and going with my previous phone, which is probably better suited for messaging anyways.

Last edited by darkloki; 08-09-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
UALOneKPlus
Cellular Guru
- Contributor -

Phone: Treo650
SU$: 5,585
LOL good luck with the iPhone 4, where you can't swap in a new battery if needed, and touching it will cause calls to drop. Right, nothing to worry about compared to a 3% drop in the evo battery.

Last edited by Ronkh; 08-09-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
darkloki
Telephone User

"Donít Buy The HTC EVO, It Is A Seriously Flawed Device"

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/09/don...flawed-device/

Knew something was flawed. And this isn't a biased report towards iphone or anything. " 90s laptop-esque" battery life, I'm just asking to be in the 2000's, and I'll wait once it reaches there and then come back to the EVO or whatever new device HTC has. I'm not a blind apple fanboy or anything, In fact I design chipsets for a living, so this stuff is right up my ally, but even blackberrys don't have poor battery performances like this.

Last edited by darkloki; 08-09-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
UALOneKPlus
Cellular Guru
- Contributor -

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkloki View Post
"Donít Buy The HTC EVO, It Is A Seriously Flawed Device"

Knew something was flawed. And this isn't a biased report towards iphone or anything. " 90s laptop-esque" battery life, I'm just asking to be in the 2000's, and I'll wait once it reaches there and then come back to the EVO or whatever new device HTC has. I'm not a blind apple fanboy or anything, In fact I design chipsets for a living, so this stuff is right up my ally, but even blackberrys don't have poor battery performances like this.
LOL seriously?

If you want a smartphone with a huge screen, thin as possible, it's the way it is. To expect anything else is like asking for an elephant that can fly and also make you dinner.

The Droid X's battery is worse, and on every smartphone forum you'll hear people *****ing about the battery. If battery life is a concern, go back to a RAZR or something.

I have a Blackberry too, and it is a POS compared to Android or even my old Palm Centro.

Why would you even switch to something like the iPhone, where you can't even swap in a spare battery?

Last edited by Ronkh; 08-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
tool2269
Rocket Surgeon

Mood: Sneaky
Phone: Galaxy S5
My Mood: Sneaky
SU$: 18,797
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Quote:

Knew something was flawed. And this isn't a biased report towards iphone or anything. " 90s laptop-esque" battery life, I'm just asking to be in the 2000's, and I'll wait once it reaches there and then come back to the EVO or whatever new device HTC has.
LOL not biased

FYI- article was written before the 1.47 OTA and 2.2 OS Update.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
darkloki
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
LOL not biased

FYI- article was written before the 1.47 OTA and 2.2 OS Update.
Yeah and aren't there reports or speculation/ an ENTIRE THREAD on this very forum about the 2.2 update making the battery life even worst?

Like this one ---> http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=210924
Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
UALOneKPlus
Cellular Guru
- Contributor -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
The Evo is too complicated and customizable. Some people are just better suited with something that just works without any thought or reading involved.

This thread just makes me think of this: link

"I dont care"
LOL I also own the iPhone, jailbroken on T-Mobile, but that video made me LOL.

Last edited by Ronkh; 08-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
UALOneKPlus
Cellular Guru
- Contributor -

Quote:
Yeah and aren't there reports or speculation/ an ENTIRE THREAD on this very forum about the 2.2 update making the battery life even worst?

Like this one ---> http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=210924
And there are entire threads devoted to poor battery on every smartphone, so what?

Here's an ENTIRE THREAD for the crappy iPhone 4 battery life: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=980943

Last edited by Ronkh; 08-09-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > battery is Garbage

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: