Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #31
ill
Cordless Phone User

Phone: M610
Trades: 31
SU$: 8,486
Send a message via AIM to ill
handcent sms does work.
i prefer it over chompsms. i almost got lost in the settings there are so many.
ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
sleepyEDB
Telegraph User

Mood: Sleepy
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 316
Lightbulb

I know I haven't been testing for long, but I wanted to share what I've done and seen thus far:

1. I installed Handcent SMS as opposed to Chomp SMS because the reviews were slightly higher, the interface and options looked a bit richer, and MMS support was praised in several reviews.
  2. After installing, I specified that I wanted Handcent to be my default messaging app.
    1. Home > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Messages. Click on the 'Clear Defaults' button.
  3. I then rebooted my phone.
  4. Upon coming back up, I began sending text messages in HandCent to two different recipients for about 10 minutes.
  5. I then checked my Partial Wake stats in Spare Parts and my Dialer was 6th in my list, and only showed a sliver of blue.
I then tried sending an MMS message in HandCent, and discovered that while I could receive MMS messages from others, I could not send them. The message just sits there with the little green spinning circle indefinitely. To compare, I then tried sending an MMS using the default 'Messages' app and experienced the same behavior, so it must be something w/ my network/phone.

Also, I've noticed that 'Android System' is now at the top of the list in Spare Parts and shows about 80% of it's bar filled with blue. I can't say for certain if this is because my phone is choking on the MMS message or not. Time for another reboot!

Stay tuned, 'droiders...

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

Last edited by sleepyEDB; 10-14-2009 at 02:48 PM.
sleepyEDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #33
sleepyEDB
Telegraph User

Lightbulb

Here's the latest:

Dialer is nowhere to be seen in Spare Parts' 'Partial Wake' list, or in any other part of the 'Battery History' section of Spare Parts since I've started using HandCent SMS. It has, like I said before, been replaced by 'Android System', but it doesn't seem to have the same tenacity as Dialer did.

For that, I commend all the people in this thread that contributed to finding the cause of the Partial Wake Lock, and mobilehavoc for recommending the use of an alternate messaging app as the fix.

Also, after a couple more reboots and no improvements to my 'can't send MMS messages' situation, I started eliminating variables. During my testing above, my phone was both plugged into my computer to charge, and also on WiFi. After eliminating both of these conditions one at a time, I have concluded that my phone (at least while I'm at work) will not send MMS messages when connected to WiFi. It will send SMS messages just fine, but MMS + WiFi = messages stuck in limbo; both in HandCent SMS and the default Messages program.

More testing on sending MMS messages on WiFi to follow when I'm on a different network...

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepyEDB For This Useful Post:
Pirate (10-16-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #34
Awake
Timeless

Phone: EVO
SU$: 12,111
Handcent is much better than ChompSMS, works very well with MMS.
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #35
Awake
Timeless

Phone: EVO
SU$: 12,111
By the way, with Handcent (like the native messaging app) MMS messages can only be sent via Sprints network, over WiFi does not work.
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awake For This Useful Post:
sleepyEDB (10-15-2009), Tracknod (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #36
kobrapack99
Telegraph User

SU$: 251
but, i keep recieving texts to my defaulf messenger. how can i stop ths?
kobrapack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
bgriffiths
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 350
had the same problem with MMS + WiFi.. disconnected from WiFi and it sent
bgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #38
sleepyEDB
Telegraph User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake View Post
By the way, with Handcent (like the native messaging app) MMS messages can only be sent via Sprints network, over WiFi does not work.
Thanks for the confirmation. At least I know it's not just me.

sleepy

Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #39
mtsalmon
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 56
Still having troubles...

Someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong... I installed HandCent. I went to the application settings for Message to click on the "Clear Defaults" button but it wasn't available for me to click. So I restarted the phone and sent a text using HandCent, let the phone sit for a while and it still shows 100% awake. I've tried this a few times, what am I doing wrong??

Thanks!
Mike
mtsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #40
PalmBlade
Telegraph User

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC Evo
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobrapack99 View Post
but, i keep recieving texts to my defaulf messenger. how can i stop ths?
You can't. All you can do is set your settings so that you dont see any notifications from the native app. They'll still be there, you just ignore them and dont get the notifications.
PalmBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #41
joecool335
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung Moment
SU$: 221
Yeah...I with mtsalmon on this.... I did everything and my is still 100% awake...

I too went to the application settings for Message to click on the "Clear Defaults" and it was
unclickable...darkened I have followed the instructions is just no go for me please anyone help...
joecool335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #42
aaron130
Telephone User

Phone: Pre/Htc Hero
SU$: 969
What worked for me is this. At first I switched to handcent and it still was staying at 100%. So what I did was I did a hard reset and cleared EVERYTHING. Then I went to the app store and got the handcent sms app. Killed the main messaging app, and installed the 3rd party sms app. Now it is working PERFECTLY. So anyone still with the 100% problem I suggest hard resetting and getting the sms app of your choice FIRST before anything and loading it and setting all the settings how you want and DO NOT open the main sms until AFTER you have the new one set up. Hope this helps.
aaron130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #43
deusch
Telegraph User

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC Hero
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 629
I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and had it work for them successfully. I already did a hard reset this week and it was a pain to go back and set everything back up, as well as reinstalling all the apps. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
What worked for me is this. At first I switched to handcent and it still was staying at 100%. So what I did was I did a hard reset and cleared EVERYTHING. Then I went to the app store and got the handcent sms app. Killed the main messaging app, and installed the 3rd party sms app. Now it is working PERFECTLY. So anyone still with the 100% problem I suggest hard resetting and getting the sms app of your choice FIRST before anything and loading it and setting all the settings how you want and DO NOT open the main sms until AFTER you have the new one set up. Hope this helps.
deusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #44
Brooose
Recovering Phone Addict

Phone: Nexus 6p
Trades: 39
SU$: 3,521
Send a message via AIM to Brooose Send a message via MSN to Brooose Send a message via Yahoo to Brooose
I have chomp working nicely for me. Spare Parts shows my Dialer not chewing up a lot of battery so hopefully I won't need to be attached to my charger like an umbilical cord now. Thanks for all of the debugging work, everyone!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #45
aulkyle2
Telegraph User

SU$: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
I know this sounds stupid but how do you reset you phone incase i ever mess something up and need to do that.

Also what does resetting it clear? Can you redownload the apps you've bought. The phone itself is still registered to the sprint account right, i wouldn't have to call/go to sprint to get it working right.
When I had problems with mine I just hard reset it. TO hard reset your phone you turn off, then when you go to hit power back on, you hold home and back while you power on.

*****SETS PHONE BACK TO FACTORY*******
aulkyle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > For those with 100% Awake time [FIX]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: