Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
hemp15
Two Cans & String User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: SGSIII
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 325
Send a message via Yahoo to hemp15
My journey to the SGSIII (It's a long read)

A little background: I've been with Sprint since 2002, I had a slight break in service for 4 months in 2005, where I went overseas (military) and my account was placed in suspension until returned because I didn't have a world phone. This essentially erased my account information from the Sprint database (but some how I kept my same number). So per their records, I've only been a customer since 2005, but that's a story for another day.

It all started when I received the OTA ICS update for my SGSII. Before the update, my phone was working perfectly fine. Iíd had the phone since Oct of last year, and I was extremely satisfied with its performance, just a little annoyed that it took so long for the ICS to roll out. Now before the update, I hard reset my phone and did so afterwards just to be sure there were no issues. Boy was I wrong! Within 45 minute after the update and the reset, I started having issues with the phone. Aside from the keypad and texting issues, the phone was over heating after being taking off the charger and sitting on my night stand not being used for hours, the touch screen was unresponsive at times, and after being fully charged and unplugged from the charger within 30 minutes my battery was at 50%. Now all of this happened on a Sunday evening, so there was no taking it to repair store, so once again I hard reset it. Still had issues.

Monday morning I get up to get ready for work & take my phone off the charger, after I get out of the shower and brush my teeth (all of 15 minutes), I go to check the time on my phone and it's extremely hot on the back directly under the camera lens. Now mind you, I had a case on it that covered the entire back of the phone. So for me to be able to feel it through the case, it had to be smoking. Since I work mornings, I had to go the whole day with the phone making sure it didnít crap out on me.

Once I get in my car heading home from work, I called customer service to ask them about issues with the ICS update. Of course the reps didn't know anything and advised me to go to the corporate repair store closest to my home. Now the closest corporate store is about 15 minutes away from my home, the nearest after that is an hour away if there's no traffic. Now this particular store, I including others have always had issues with this store and it's lack of customer service, so I try not to go there unless I have to. Well when I walk through the door, I tell the greeter what I'm there for, she then takes my phone and begins turning off things like the gps, wifi, bluetooth, etc. and tells me that's why I'm having these issues. Annoyed as I was by her, I tell her that I just got off of work and out of my car, I didn't have time to turn all of those things off, and then asked her as nicely as possible to see a technician. So she walks me back to the counter and before I could get there a tech hollers out the window to her, "what phone is it?" She tells her, then she yells back that it has to be hard reset. So without any hesitation, the greeter tries to hard reset my phone and I stop her in the process. I inform her that I've done 2 hard resets already and I have things on my phone that hadn't been saved like pictures of my newborn son, so I would need to back it up before another hard reset. Well she says to me, "If you don't want it reset, we can't help you!" I said back to her, "Ma'am I need to back some things up before there's another hard reset." She then says, "well that's the only thing we can do." I say, Well if that's all you all can do, then I can do that myself." Not once during the exchange did she offer to backup my phone. Mind you, I walked right in the store and the exchange happened in a total of about 5 minutes, no sign in or tech ticket was even done. Extremely disappointed with this store once again, I politely asked for my phone back and walked out of the store.

Pissed off, I call customer service back and explain to them what happened and they tell me to go to another corporate store, I inform them that it was too far from where I was and I was unwilling to travel that far on the assumption that they'll take care of the issue. The rep then tells me to just take it to the nearest 3rd party repair store and she'd note my account. as I'm headed to the next store, I was able to get my information off my phone and save it to the SDcard. Once I get to the store, a tech looks at my phone, hard resets it, tests it, and replaces the battery. He found nothing wrong with my phone and since I couldn't duplicate the issues, he sends me on my way and say if the issues come back, just bring it back in.

Of course, once I get home, my device begins to trip out again. Now I'm really pissed. I give it a full day, and the issues are still there, so I call customer service again (Wednesday). They have me run through all the over the phone tests they can perform and tell me that if the problems still persist, call back. So Friday comes around and I'm on my way home from work, my phone shuts completely off in the middle of a phone call. I immediately call customer service. I explained to them that I basically had a phone that was on itís last leg and they needed to do something about it. They again advise me to go to the same corporate store because the 3rd party store that I went to before canít do instant replaces or orders. I asked the rep specifically to note my account so that all I would have to do is go in get a replacement or order it and be on my way. The rep said she would, and all I had to do was go in and I would be taken care of. So I get to the store, and it was like the twilight zone, the greeter didnít sign me in, she just directed me back to the tech counter. I then tell the technician that I had just got off the phone with a customer rep and that my account should be noted that I needed a replacement phone, and that all the checks had been done on my previous trips to a repair store. The tech then told me that in order for a replacement phone to be issued, they had to run tests on it and then determine if one will be ordered or not. I asked how long would this test take, and he then tells me 45 minutes to an hour. Being pressed for time (taking my boys to see the new Batman movie), I tell him that will not work and I was told to come in here and they would be able to get me on my way in no time. Well, he just repeats what he just told me before, and in disappointment I walk back out of the store and called customer service back.

Overly pissed off now, I ask the rep to transfer me to account services so I can cancel my service. The rep offers to order my replacement phone over the phone, and since Iíd basically been given the run around, give me a $25 credit on my bill for the next 4 months. I accepted, but I didnít have time to stay on the line to go back through the red tape, so I informed him that Iíd call back first thing in the morning, seeing how placing the order at 7pm on a Friday night, wouldnít make a difference in getting the phone sooner than Monday or Tuesday. Saturday morning, I call back and get the phone ordered, the rep said it would be express mailed to my home for all my troubles and it would be there first thing Monday morning. I asked him for a tracking number, and he told me that it would be emailed to me as soon as the order is sent through, maybe in another hour. The rest of the day goes by, and I had yet to receive the email, so I waited until Sunday evening to call back. The rep informs me that there was no tracking number available and it typically means the phone is on backorder from the warehouse. He then tells me that he would look into it and will call me back the next day (Monday). Well Monday comes and goes and I heard nothing. So on my way home on Tuesday, I called customer service back. When I asked about the tracking number, the rep informs me that the phone is on backorder and it would be shipped out in 5-7 business days. Iím livid now because Iíve been dealing with a phone $500 paper weight for a week and now Iím being told that itíll probably be another week. So after I go off on the rep, I have him transfer me to account services. After about an hour of back and forth explaining to me things that can and canít be done to keep me a Sprint customer, he finally offers to push my upgrade date up when I tell him that Iím willing to pay the ETF and go to another major carrier. Once he does that and sends me a conformation text, I hurry to Best Buy before they close and proceed to get the SGSIII.

The best part of this journey is that I ended up getting the SGSIII for free. When I purchased the SGSII, I also purchased the (now discontinued) Buy Back Program from Best Buy. When the phone trade-in went through, I ended up getting $280 for the SGSII on a gift card. I then paid for the SGSII, bought a holster/case and screen protector, and walked out of there with $4.85 on a gift card. All in all, Iím satisfied with the SGSIII and highly disappointed with Sprints customer service reps as a whole.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
scandalex
Telephone User

Phone: E4GT
SU$: 1,207
If everything had happened according to what you were told, I would've been surprised.
What you went thru in the store doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Congrats on your S3.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
hemp15
Two Cans & String User

Thanks!

The store reps in every store that I've been to have for the most part been terrible. I expect for the run around with the phone reps, because they just want to get you off the phone. It really bothers me that both in-store and over the phone reps are never on the same page. Any given day, you can call customer service or go into different stores, talk to different reps, and get told something different every time.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Mish
Formerly known as KlutxyChix1

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: Samsung GS5
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 9,750
Send a message via Yahoo to Mish
Well I have to say I can totally see your frustration! But there's one awesome silver lining at the end :-) A free GS3!! Personally I'm loving the phone, I hope you are too after all that mess!

Sent from my new toy, GS3 using SprintUsers Forum
Mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
hemp15
Two Cans & String User

I'm enjoying the phone, no doubt...I really have no choice but to because I'm locked in for 2 yr & I refuse to put myself through anymore stress with Sprint.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: