Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Ninja
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 3,131
Choosing Android

Ok i just want to get some android users opinions and i need to clear up some questions.

This will be a bit of a long post.

I have a Sero plan, with an original touch.
I have figured that if i move to a newer smart phone I am going to lose my sero plan and all my perks. 5 numbers free to call. free nights at 6 etc. This was told to me by a sprint rep. They offered me what she called the "new" sero which i think is the everything plus plan.

I was hesitant to go to it and lose my plan but it looks like they are not giving me a choice.
I went to Best buy last night and felt a Hero. I really wanted a blackberry but i like the idea of the android being open source. I like that a lot. The Hero felt cheap to me and i was not impressed it kind of let me down. I kind of want a physical keyboard but I don't care for the moment.

I want to upgrade my phone but i am wondering if I should wait. I am tired of having a winmo phone that I have to hack to make useable. Is this how android is? I see a lot of people rooting their phone to make it more useable and faster. I am not sure I want that.
Anyone gone from a Bberry to android or vs versa?

I keep hearing bberries just work and they are great but i want to try android. What do you see quarter 1 as far as new android phones coming out, what about essex?

What do you guys think?

Cliff Notes:

I have a sero and I know i have to change plans.
Bberry or Android are my choices.
Any tips on getting a good plan again?
Bberry users that went to android, vice versa chime in.
Does android have to be hacked to be useable?
What is quarter 1 bringing for both line ups.
Where would you go in my position?
Thanks for the help.
Its good to be back I haven't been on in about a year!
11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Walkie Talkie User

Seventy views and no response at all?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
aceofspades626
Telephone User

SU$: 1,290
Never had a Blackberry myself. But I did have a winmo with a hardware keyboard that I had to hack to make work even remotely the way I wanted.
I've got a Hero now, and I have to disagree with feeling cheap. To me it feels much more refined than my old Samsung phone. So far I like HTC a lot. My search started with a serious list of requirements, including a hardware keyboard (had an iPod touch and hated the keyboard) and I came to the Hero. I decided it fit the bill with the exception of that keyboard so I gave it a shot. It took me about 2 days to change my mind on the keyboard. Predictive works really well on Android, along with a lot of other features I would never give back. Open source is the best way to go if you are particular about how you want your handset to function. Rooting is another step to go further, but I don't really feel a need for it with Android like I did with Winmo.
Depending on how eager you are to get a new phone, either go for Hero/Moment now or wait for the next one to relase for Sprint. Either way I'd definitely recommend Android. The new Everything plans put you on "Premier" which gets you $150 upgrade discount on top of rebates once a year. I figure that makes more frequent upgrading a real possibility for a lot of people.
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aceofspades626 For This Useful Post:
11111 (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Walkie Talkie User

Thanks for your reply. I agree on the winmo phones and that is what I am tired of. I am really interested in a phone that i can tinker with, but that just works. So with the "premier" you get an extra 150$ on top of whatever else you are eligible for? Do you have a everything plan, if so how do you feel about it?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
aceofspades626
Telephone User

I do have an everything plan. I think you have to with Hero.
It's great. I have the smallest one. $69.99/month. Gets me unlimited data and text and (of course) includes Any Mobile. It's only 450 anytime minutes, but Any Mobile MORE than makes up for any issue with minutes.
http://www.sprintenterprise.com/premier/
Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Walkie Talkie User

Very cool. The one thing i really would like to keep is my any 5 numbers free because it would allow me to call a few lan lines I call frequently and my google voice number for all the things I use it for. That helps me keep my minutes down. Do you know if you can keep that with an anything plan?
How do you feel about the apps on the android phone, are they coming along nicely?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
aceofspades626
Telephone User

Dunno for sure about the 5 free numbers. You should probably put a quick call into sprint customer service. They're usually pretty good about answering those kinds of questions straight forwardly.
Google Voice is definitely good to go.
Apps are far from disappointing, and Android is just starting to hit its stride. My money is on the Android Market being easily as good as the Apple app store in a year.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
SirRipo
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11111 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I agree on the winmo phones and that is what I am tired of. I am really interested in a phone that i can tinker with, but that just works. So with the "premier" you get an extra 150$ on top of whatever else you are eligible for? Do you have a everything plan, if so how do you feel about it?
It doesnt quite work that way. The best way to put It Is that you get new customer pricing every year, as opposed to every two. With a contract extension, of course. This is nice sometimes, especially when Best Buy (or other 3rd party retailers) have a sale going on. I got my Hero for 70 or 80 bucks from Best Buy.

I came from a Blackberry Curve and I absolutely 100% converted. Android is so great. Many of the apps are free, and theres so many more options and things you can do with them. Many of the apps are free, or at least cheaper than their Blackberry equivalents (with the exception of Documents To Go).

I have the cheapest of the everything plans, and I must say, It is completely worth it. The freedom of being able to Google something really quick (often with the press of one button) is awesome. And as far as your Google Voice number, there is a free Google Voice app available on the Android Market. One of the perks of Android being made by Google is that there is a free app available for pretty much all Google services. The app market is nicer than Blackberry's, since it runs through Google Checkout, and it doesnt require you to input your credit card info every time you buy an app (and I believe its compatible with paypal as well).

LG LX160>Sanyo S1>Samsung M320>Samsung Rant>Samsung Instinct M800>BB Curve 8330>HTC Hero
SirRipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRipo View Post
It doesnt quite work that way. The best way to put It Is that you get new customer pricing every year, as opposed to every two. With a contract extension, of course. This is nice sometimes, especially when Best Buy (or other 3rd party retailers) have a sale going on. I got my Hero for 70 or 80 bucks from Best Buy.

I came from a Blackberry Curve and I absolutely 100% converted. Android is so great. Many of the apps are free, and theres so many more options and things you can do with them. Many of the apps are free, or at least cheaper than their Blackberry equivalents (with the exception of Documents To Go).

I have the cheapest of the everything plans, and I must say, It is completely worth it. The freedom of being able to Google something really quick (often with the press of one button) is awesome. And as far as your Google Voice number, there is a free Google Voice app available on the Android Market. One of the perks of Android being made by Google is that there is a free app available for pretty much all Google services. The app market is nicer than Blackberry's, since it runs through Google Checkout, and it doesnt require you to input your credit card info every time you buy an app (and I believe its compatible with paypal as well).
That makes sense thanks for the great replys guys. Whe nyou say there is a google app for android phones, what do you mean? I am assuming I will still use minutes when i use my google voice number is that not the case?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Chuque
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Blackberry 8530
SU$: 4,245
Quote:
Very cool. The one thing i really would like to keep is my any 5 numbers free because it would allow me to call a few lan lines I call frequently and my google voice number for all the things I use it for. That helps me keep my minutes down. Do you know if you can keep that with an anything plan?
How do you feel about the apps on the android phone, are they coming along nicely?
When I moved from perk'ed Sero to ED I was offered to keep my NW5pm for 10 and declined as I didn't see the value in it as I was gaining 7pm for free and any mobile. I was also offered to keep pick 5 which I did keep. all other perks I had are rolled into ED base.

also there is a catch with google voice and the android GV app it will use two numbers in your pick5

see This link
Chuque is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuque For This Useful Post:
11111 (01-10-2010), aceofspades626 (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Walkie Talkie User

Cool. Good information on the google voice information. Google voice is one of the coolest features in telephone and wireless out today. If you can get the pick 3 and google voice you can in theory not use any minutes at all.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
SirRipo
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 2,790
Quote:
That makes sense thanks for the great replys guys. Whe nyou say there is a google app for android phones, what do you mean? I am assuming I will still use minutes when i use my google voice number is that not the case?
I really dont know, I just know there is a GV app, I haven't used it.

LG LX160>Sanyo S1>Samsung M320>Samsung Rant>Samsung Instinct M800>BB Curve 8330>HTC Hero
SirRipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
aceofspades626
Telephone User

GV app is a dedicated app for GV that runs on your android device. It gives you direct control over your account (dialing, account checking, everything you'd do on the website) without having to log into a web page or wait for loading.
Remember, an android device is always logged directly into your google account.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Walkie Talkie User

Very good to know thank you very much. I was searching around and could not find an answer if someone has already came up with a hack to force roaming on the android devices. I know if you root the phone you should have full control of it. Is there a way to do this. The building i work in has just enough sprint service to keep me from roaming and it drains my battery and make using the phone impossible.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 31,956
If you want a phone you can tinker with the Hero would be a good choice. Rooting is very simple. There is a beta program at geekforme(the developer of freshrom) that will do it in a click. That said it is a beta I would personally do it the old which is about a ten to fifteen minute affair. Once it's rooted flashing to freshrom is dead simple. Put the file on the root of your sd card, reboot to recovery, flash and reboot. IMHO it is much simpler than flashing WM. I think I flashed my Diamon around fifty times. It seemed every week there was a new ROM.

I have figured out force roam yet either. I don't have a huge use for it but there are times I could definitely use but those are rare, once or twice a month. Sprint does have really good coverage here.

The Pre is also pretty tinker friendly. The devs over there have created a ton of what they call patches. They change things from as small as making programs work in landscape all the way up to overclocking the CPU.

All that said I think the Hero is a better phone with the marketplace really pushing it ahead.
11111 (01-11-2010)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Choosing Android

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: