Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
madcapjim
Cordless Phone User

Phone: iPhone 5
SU$: 3,907
Extended mean roaming?

I was traveling in southwestern Indiana today, Centerville/Hagerstown area, a place where Sprint service is hit and miss. When in Hagerstown I noticed it said Extended in the status bar where it would normally say Sprint.
My other phones just showed a symbol to indicate roaming. So does Extended mean roaming, and do all new Sprint phones say this or just the iPhone?
madcapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Sprintina
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 4S/S4
SU$: 1,663
Same happened to me at my sister's house. In the past, my phones would occasionally roam on Verizon so I'm assuming that's what this was doing. However the difference for me this time was that I actually got good single once it latched onto the alternate tower whereas before, I rarely got a lock long enough to actually call. Am chalking that up to possibly having better antennas on the iPhone.
Sprintina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 5s
SU$: 21,577
Perhaps this extended roaming is roaming onto a GSM network. It may not be covered by the standard roaming agreement Sprint has with Verizon. Shouldn't mean anything to us end users, but it may be costing Sprint a bit more.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Yungtps
Telephone User

SU$: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
Perhaps this extended roaming is roaming onto a GSM network. It may not be covered by the standard roaming agreement Sprint has with Verizon. Shouldn't mean anything to us end users, but it may be costing Sprint a bit more.
I don't think that's the case. Your phone only roams on networks sprint wants it to roam on. If you have roaming on your plan, you should be fine.
Yungtps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
esoterica
Telegraph User

Phone: iPhone 4S
SU$: 440
Has anyone figured this out?

Does anyone have any more information about this?

I'd like to add that for me, my call will switch from Sprint to Extended during the middle of a call, and I was previously unaware of Sprint being able to hand off a CDMA call to another network mid-call.
esoterica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
1) With iPhones, "Extended" = domestic roaming. "Roaming" actually means international.
2) You can go from Sprint to Extended (roaming) without dropping. You WILL drop going from Extended to Sprint.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Extended mean roaming?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: