Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
jcws6
Telegraph User

SU$: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothieKing534 View Post
I have searched, but can't seem to find the answer to my questions. I need help brainstorming, as I have been on Sero since the beginning (circa 2000). I am not a huge data user, as I mainly use Wifi and the reception isn't a problem. I was holding out for the S8+, as my 2 year renewal came up a few months ago. Now that I'm not able to renew, I was thinking about pre-ordering the s8+ at Sam's club. So, here is where I need help.

1. Should I keep Sero (500 premium @ $56 a month) with an S8+ or is there a better option?
2. If I purchase from Sam's, what the "punishment" from Sprint.
3. I would rather pay for the phone out right, as I generally keep them for a few years.

I am totally lost, whether I should keep Sero or move to another plan. I have notice on newer plan, after a year pricing becomes sketchy!
I'm not sure if you've already figured this out, but I'm in a similar boat. Sam's Club's system can't process phones on SERO plans, so that's not an option. If you're not a big data user, GoPhone (AT&T prepaid) has a $40 plan with 6GB of rollover data. If you're going to buy the phone outright anyway, why not save money on your plan? The unlocked versions of the phone should be out in mid-May.

The new version of your SERO-P plan ("SERO Unlimited") is $45 a month only if you have an active installment plan. Since you tend to keep phones for longer than 2 years (the installment plan length), that wouldn't be for you - the normal cost of the plan is $60.

You could try calling Retentions since you're out of contract, but the best they offered me is $50 off the cost of the phone.

Hope that helps.
jcws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #17
jcws6
Telegraph User

SU$: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchris View Post
Hmmm... so I have 2 SERO lines = $100

New plans show $60 + $40 with autopay and include 10gb tethering.

Wouldn't this be better than what I have now? What's the downside to switch to that? With no subsidy and no tethering on SERO, what's the reason to stay on SERO?

I also have a company discount so it would be around $85 that I can't apply to SERO.
There's no incentive to stay on SERO-P. You'll have a cheaper plan and you'll be able to buy phones at any regular store. Also, you won't have to deal with a discontinued plan that they'll probably try to force you off of some day anyway.
jcws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
snowdizx
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Treo 650
SU$: 1,346
Not necessarily better as the new plans only have 100MB of data and for me that's a dealbreaker, on the rare instance I roam 100MB is NOTHING.
snowdizx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #19
backhandpearl
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by japper88 View Post
Anyone know what will happen if I preorder the S8 via the Sprint website? I have SERO 500 Premium. When I login the 24 month payment plan is an option. I added it to my cart and went all the way to the end of the checkout, I did not see anything about changing my plan. Is the issue when you try to activate the phone?

When I got my S6 on SERO 2 years ago, it just self activated online with no issues...

I did the math and at least for now SERO 500 Premium is still the best deal for me even if I have to pay full price for the phone... but if I have to pay $10 more it no longer is...
Hi, I am on sero premium 500 as well and am about 2 years out of contract since I bought the htc m7 on launch. When I was checking my bill it said I could upgrade my M7 and gave me an option for 50% off the s8/s8+ for either a 18 month lease or 24 month installments. The buyout price still listed 850 with no discount.

I wasnt really planning on getting another phone but did it anyways.. So the invoice it sent was 35.00 per month with a credit of 15.65 = (Monthly promotional price 19.77).

It shipped and I activated it, my plan has still stayed the same with the exception of during web activation it said my 11.00 TEP was no longer valid so I needed to change it to 13.00. One other change was it placed 'WIFI calling' at 0.00 a month under the sero 500 premium service addons that I never noticed before.

Its still not as good as the 199/299 2 year contract like before since it comes out to 474.48, but it's probably the best I am going to get on sero.

Thanks!
backhandpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
Joseph-N
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 1,661
I'm in the same situation, and Sprint has been less than helpful. I still have a phone on the old $30/month SERO. I always figured no problem. If the phone ever died, my old phone still shows on my Sprint account, so I figured in a pinch I could always go online and switch back to my previous phone.

That does not appear to be the case anymore. I cannot change phones on the old SERO plan. I cannot move to the $50 month SERO P. I cannot "re up" for 2 more years and get a new free phone. So what can I do? It appears the only path Sprint has left me is to buy the phone with money out of my own pocket and then move up to the $70/month SERO unlimited to activate it. Are they kidding? That is more expensive than leaving for T-Mobile. Guys, doesn't Sprint have any better options for me?
Joseph-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #21
backhandpearl
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 133
I am on sero 500 premium as well, I noticed last week it said I could upgrade my htc m7 when I logged in to check my bill. There was a message saying the samsung s8/s8+ were 50% off ($19.77 / 24 month installments) so I went though the order and nothing was mentioned about my sero 500 plan.

It shipped and I activated it online, the only thing it changed to my sero 500 premium plan was my 11.00 TEP was invalid and needed to be changed to the new $13.00 TEP and it added wifi calling @ 0.00 to the addons section.

So there must be a way to change phones somehow. It seems when you end up talking to people at Sprint is when things become unclear.
backhandpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #22
krwshl
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 340
I have SERO Unlimited and was just talking to customer support. They said you will not get the $15 per month customer loyalty credit anymore, even if you are on Flex Pay. The lady kept trying to get me to change to Unlimited Freedom.

It is still being applied to my current bill though ... does anyone know if this is true? Getting accurate information is challenging when calling Sprint.
krwshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:05 AM   #23
dwhilsdorf
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Treo Pro
SU$: 421
My wife is a light data user too. I switched her to Boom Mobile (red = Verizon network).

$24.99/month total for 1GB of 4G data, unlimited talk/text.

When the data is gone (which hasn't happened yet), you can't add more like their other 2GB, , 10 GB plans but you can buy a different plan at any time.

I also learned that Boom will tell you they can't activate an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5s. My wife dropped her brand new Galaxy S6 rendering it unusable.

I moved the nano SIM card to the iPhone 5S and she's been using it ever since. I thinl we are running on borrowed time. :-)

Great provider with very responsive customer service.
dwhilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > SERO Subsidy dead, until a couple of days ago.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: