Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Pittsburgh wins the cup!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recapprint.htm?id=2008030417

Pens' hard road leads to joyous destination
Shawn P. Roarke | NHL.com Managing Editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DETROIT -- The road to the 2009 Stanley Cup could not have been more difficult for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Then again, nobody said winning championships should be easy.

Nothing about Friday's Game 7 victory -- a 2-1 nail-biter against the defending champion Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena with the weight of history conspiring against the young Penguins -- was easy.

"I would have loved to do it in four (games), it would have been a lot easier on the nerves," said Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby, the youngest captain to win the Stanley Cup. "It was so hard watching the clock tick down for that whole third period.

"But everything it took to win, we did it, you know. Blocking shots. Great goaltending. Different guys stepping up. I mean, we did exactly everything it takes to win. We're really happy with the result. We've been through a lot."

The Penguins have overcome obstacles throughout the playoffs, so there was no reason for Friday to be different.

Despite the fact that only one team in the history of the NHL had won a Game 7 on the road in the Stanley Cup Final after the home team in the series had won the first six games, the Penguins entered Friday's game full of confidence -- a swagger borne out of the fact that they had closed out each of their first three series on the road and had also escaped a 2-0 series deficit in a second-round upset of Washington in seven games.

"We heard all these stupid stats about how a team hadn't done 0-2 since 1971 or something and all these other Game 7 stats," defenseman Brooks Orpik told NHL.com "But I thought we just did a good job of blocking all that out and staying confident the whole series."

That confidence that served them well on Friday.

After a scoreless and somewhat tame first period, Pittsburgh took the lead early in the second on the first of Max Talbot's two goals. Talbot, in on the forecheck, was in perfect position to pounce on a turnover by Detroit defenseman Brad Stuart. Once he had the puck on his stick, he just ladled it between the leg pads of Detroit goalie Chris Osgood at 1:13.

Almost nine minutes later, Talbot struck again. This time, he pounced on chip pass by teammate Chris Kunitz to lead a 2-on-1 against Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall. Talbot eschewed the pass and fired a wrister from about 15 feet that zipped over Osgood's glove and nestled into the far corner.

"His nickname before this game was 'The Gamer' because he has a knack for playing so well in big games," Orpik said of Talbot. "Obviously, his heart is huge. He's going to do anything to win. These big games, he has the ability to just step up. A lot of that has to do with the tremendous character he has."

These Penguins were loaded with character, and it showed after they took the 2-0 lead.

With Crosby on the shelf after injuring his knee in a collision with Johan Franzen in the second, centers Evgeni Malkin, who was named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner, and Jordan Staal took on huge minutes. Players throughout the lineup pitched in by doing the little things that championship teams need to do; the little things that Detroit did last season to beat Pittsburgh in six games.

"I thought we played a full 60 minutes of our hockey," defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "If you could have drawn it up, it was about as perfect as it could go tonight."

But even with a perfect game, Detroit was still threatening at the end. Defenseman Jonathon Ericsson cut the lead in half when his knuckling shot eluded goalie Marc-Andre Fleury with 6:07 remaining in the game.

Then, with precious few seconds left and Osgood pulled for the extra attacker, Detroit had two final chances to force overtime and perhaps hold onto their title. First, Fleury robbed Henrik Zetterberg with a quick flick of his leg pad. Then, he scuttled across his crease and somehow got his blocker on a shot by Nicklas Lidstrom that seemed targeted at an open net.

"The save of the series," Orpik said.

And just like that, the Pittsburgh Penguins were Stanley Cup Champions, completing a 24-game journey that tested them in ways many of the players could never have imagined.

But when the journey was complete, when the players stood on the Joe Louis Arena ice celebrating a title they had dreamed about their entire lives, the pain of last year's loss to these Red Wings was a now-distant memory.

"I would have loved to do it in four (games), it would have been a lot easier on the nerves. It was so hard watching the clock tick down for that whole third period." -- Sidney Crosby
"It's great after everything that happened last year," Scuderi told NHL.com "Going down 2-0 in this series and everybody is lining up and saying we didn't have much of a chance and it's just great to come back and finish it off on their ice after what happened last year."
Old 06-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
Marlon_JB2
How do I become a moderator on this forum?

Mood: Blah
Phone: iPhone 6 Plus
Trades: 3
My Mood: Blah
SU$: 32,101
Send a message via AIM to Marlon_JB2 Send a message via Skype™ to Marlon_JB2
Congrats, Penguins.

You need a new name though. What kind of a team is named "Penguin"?!
Marlon_JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
NONAME
Resident Phone Whore

Phone: IPHONE 4S 4now
Trades: 4
SU$: 1,568
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

We are the CITY OF CHAMPIONS! The Pirates need to step it up..but none the less I LOVE MY STEELERS AND PENS
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Marlon_JB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONAME View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

We are the CITY OF CHAMPIONS! The Pirates need to step it up..but none the less I LOVE MY STEELERS AND PENS
Yawn.

How many Stanley Cups have the Wings won? Right. More than anyone else, period.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
dcjose20
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Pre
SU$: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 View Post
Yawn.

But how many did they win this year? 0

lol jk, congrats to the penguins though! redwings ended up giving it away.
dcjose20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Marlon_JB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjose20 View Post
But how many did they win this year? 0

lol jk, congrats to the penguins though! redwings ended up giving it away.
Tell me about it. They (Red Wings) didn't even start playing until the 3rd period.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Quote:
Yawn.

Actually, Montreal and Toronto have won it more times

NHL Winners:

Montreal Canadiens: 23
(The Canadiens also have one pre-NHL win, listed below)
1924, 1930, 1931, 1944, 1946, 1953, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1986, 1993

Toronto Maple Leafs: 13
(Includes wins under previous franchise names: Toronto Arenas and Toronto St. Pats)
1918, 1922, 1932, 1942, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1967

Detroit Red Wings: 11
1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008

Source:

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/sta...-wins-team.htm
Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
Forever92
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Samsung Note
SU$: 2,209
Congrats on the Epic Choke Wings.
Forever92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
NASCAR14FAN
PINs 3240AC23 & 32FD2D8B

Phone: BB 9650 & 9850
SU$: 53,604
Send a message via ICQ to NASCAR14FAN Send a message via AIM to NASCAR14FAN Send a message via MSN to NASCAR14FAN Send a message via Yahoo to NASCAR14FAN
Quote:
Congrats, Penguins.

You need a new name though. What kind of a team is named "Penguin"?!
What the hell is a "Red Wing" At least a Penguin is a real thing... Not some made up name

"MAKE THE WORLD BLACKBERRY"
NASCAR14FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Teammaembogue

Phone: Teammaembogue
SU$: 108
Pittsburgh wins the cup

Im gonna go like Bruins72 said, its too earlier to dertermine who can win the cup, during the season theres the injuries, some trades that can change the momentum of any team. Of course i think that Detroit and Pittsburgh will be in the race for the final but Washington and Chicago are not too far away.
Teammaembogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #11
Dashacheal
Telegraph User

Phone: DashachealTO
SU$: 239
Pittsburgh wins the cup

Except for Spokane, its a toss-up between kitchener & belleville.

I wouldnt be surprised that the winner of the OHL battle on Friday Night, wins it all Sunday
Dashacheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Arena > Hockey > Pittsburgh wins the cup!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: