Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
thekarens
Bird Watcher

Mood: Brooding
Phone: N5
My Mood: Brooding
SU$: 17,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman42
When will people learn that just because they like a certain phone better than others, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. From reading around the forums, I don't see a lot of regret from the Touch 4g owners. Different strokes I suppose.
Plus one!

Personally loved the Photon, but I wanted the camera on the S2 more.
thekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
RJSinMO
Telephone User

Phone: Evo 3D
SU$: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
Plus one!

Personally loved the Photon, but I wanted the camera on the S2 more.
?? They are both 8mp ??
RJSinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
thekarens
Bird Watcher

Mood: Brooding
Phone: N5
My Mood: Brooding
SU$: 17,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSinMO

?? They are both 8mp ??
Megapixels has very little to do with the quality of the picture. IMO the iphone takes a better picture than any other cell phone and it has less megapixels than the S2 and MoPho.
thekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thekarens For This Useful Post:
nmherron (10-20-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
RJSinMO
Telephone User

ah. Well, I haven't confirmed this totally yet, but I would have to admit that it seems the pictures from my Epic I were better than those from the MoPho so far.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
Adondo
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: RootedEpicTouch
SU$: 7,257
I wrote reviews for both phones. (Click the reviews tab at the top of these pages) I had the Photon for 17 days and switched to the SGS2.

I will have to say that the Photon is the gaming machine of choice with a but and however. The but and however is getting some games and apps to fit the screen resolution, and some either window down, or skew off-screen so you can't get to buttons. That's more an issue of the 960x540 vs. 800x480 than the Photon itself. The Samsung is iffy on gaming, with quite a lot not being compatible with the MALI400 graphics processor. One glaring example is X-Plane. It flat out ain't a gonna' happen on the SGS2, I have emails from an X-Plane tech to prove the point. They might rewrite an SGS2 version later, but it'll be a year away at best as they are too busy on other things now.

As mentioned, if you like your Photon just don't go look at the SGS2. It's too bad that Motorola had to botch what should be a nice screen, after all, it has 20% more pixels. The pentile design ruins the extra resolution with its funny colors and fuzzy icons. I will say that having the phone for a while, it wasn't that noticeable for everyday use, but even my old Evo 4G's screen blows it away when viewed side by side. In other words, it's okay until you get it next to something that does not have a pentile design, and then it sucks. And, if that other phone has a super AMOLED screen? It REALLY sux.

As for the camera? Yes, they are both 8MP, but the SGS2 is like having a good quality point and click with you, whereas the Photon falls short. It isn't just the screen either, as I have pictures from both phones. The Photon's photos are just crap compared, and there's no way around it. The SGS2 also takes very good video too, and at a full 1080P. It has to be something different in the video image element and/or lens between the phones. Remember, the new phones are a SoC design. (System on a Chip) There's software involved, dedicated processors for graphics, dedicated processors for the video/camera subsystem, and etc. It's not just how many MP's it has. As far as that's concerned, there are phones with only 5MP cams that take better photos, so Motorola cheaped out on the camera. (We won't even talk about the measly 0.3MP front cam)

And speed? Yes, the Photon is fast. The SGS2 has 1.2 gig processors, and that stacks up against the 1.0 gig of the Photon, but it's like digital camera resolution. There's a breaking point of sorts in digital imaging, after which it's a numbers game for marketing. I think 8MP is more than enough unless you're going to print a billboard sized photo. Selling you a 12MP as better doesn't always translate out that way in reality. Processor speed is a lot the same way. 1 Gig is more than enough to deal with Android tasks, so the SGS2's 1.2 GHz doesn't necessarily translate to 20% faster in everything the phone does. Note that the Evo 4G also has a 1G processor, but it moves like molasses in January compared to either of these phones. And... it's because it all comes back to the SoC again, there's a helluva lot of support in and around those processors. It's not just all about processor speed in gigahertz. IMHO, both phones are blazing fast, with little difference, so it's not like the SGS2 is 20% faster because of it's 1.2G vs 1.0G.

Both have their annoyances. The SGS2 has an ongoing network dropout issue that requires frequent reboots. Rooted or not, the same problem is still there. The Photon's on-the-side USB/HDMI ports are stupid, especially while trying to use the kickstand, and the HDMI displays at only 480P on a big screen TV making it's pretty useless for viewing photos etc. The SGS2 is at 1080i and mirrors whatever the phone does with no docking app to run first. The SGS2 tends to inexplicably crash back to the home screen while in apps or games. (Not often, but...) You lose any point gains etc. in gaming when it happens. But, the Photon rocks with games with its Nvidea graphics chip set.

As for the ''plasticy'' feel of the SGS2? Who doesn't use a silicone cover or snap-on rubberized case anyway? I had a silicone cover on my Evo4G from day one. Put on a case or cover, and that's a non-issue. For that matter, I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone sans-cover/case. About half the people here have iPhones, and we get into frequent Android vs. iPhone wars. All the iPhones here are in some kind of case, so bragging about how great they're built is rendered moot when they're entombed in a case. I still see that silly argument in reviews about the SGS2 vs. Photon or other phones.
Adondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adondo For This Useful Post:
nmherron (10-20-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
RJSinMO
Telephone User

I admitted it before, but I'll confirm, the camera is not great. Especially with indoor pictures, they are very dark and grainy. I never had that problem with the SGS1 (Epic).

I also seem to be having problems with picture mail anywhere other than home, but I'll start another thread on that.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
photon4gluva
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 12
My boyfriend and I have been having this debate about which is better ssg2 or Mopho? He has had ssg2 for 16 days and since day one has had nothing but problems. The phones shuts down repeatedly on its own daily , even during a phone call. The service goes in and out randomly, and to top things off the battery life sucks ass.

On the other hand, I have had the photon for 2 months and am extremely happy that I made this decision. Go MoPho <3
photon4gluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
MsRandall
The SU Goddess
Retired Moderator

Mood: Amazed
Phone: 64gb iPhone 5s
Trades: 34
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 40,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon4gluva View Post
My boyfriend and I have been having this debate about which is better ssg2 or Mopho? He has had ssg2 for 16 days and since day one has had nothing but problems. The phones shuts down repeatedly on its own daily , even during a phone call. The service goes in and out randomly, and to top things off the battery life sucks ass.

On the other hand, I have had the photon for 2 months and am extremely happy that I made this decision. Go MoPho <3

Where did he buy it from and why didnt he exchange it for a stable working unit before 14 days were up?

Blessed to have my Mother as my guardian angel since 12/19/06..I love and miss you so much!!!!
MsRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #24
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

Phone: DROID TURBO
SU$: 9,380
HTC drains the battery way too much, my friend thinks HTC is superior to Motorola the joke was on him he has the Evo 3D and has only about two hours of battery life with very limited usage.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #25
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

Phone: DROID TURBO
SU$: 9,380
The problem with Samhung is that they use their customers as test dummies. Lack of backend support and updated software for products. They try to dump out a new device like every month how can you keep up with the problems.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #26
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,HM,S &TMO
SU$: 16,247
W t ?
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #27
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Note 40