Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Concerns about LG Warranty Repair...

I sent my phone off to LG for warranty repair in March (I don't carry insurance) and they returned it about 2.5 weeks later. At first glance, everything seemed fine, and the phone has worked without notable issue.

Just yesterday, I took the TPU case off to dust off the phone, and happened to be in a room with bright sunlight. It reflected off of every tiny little nick and bend in the metal trim that had NOT been there when I sent the phone off for repair. Upon close inspection, it appears that they used some kind of tiny, flat, tool to pry off the back for repair. This put evenly spaced nicks around the phone, and there are spots where the metal trip appears wavy, as if it wasn't laid properly.

I am a tiny bit annoyed by this, but far more concerned that LG, who did such a crappy job, will now blame me for opening my phone, if I need to send it back in for a future warranty issue.

Funny thing is, I called them to talk about it, explained the situation, and the tech support person said "Sir, did you open your phone? It is a sealed unit and not intended to be opened!" I said, "NO, your technicians opened it for repair, and damaged the case in the process, and I am just noticing it now." I went on to say, But, NOW, I am concerned that your technicians will accuse ME of opening my phone if I send it it again, and void my warranty.

So, I am waiting for this to be escalated and to get a return call from LG, to see how it can be resolved.

Very discouraging. At the very least I would have expected a perfect repair job by the manufacturer, with no potential questions of future warranty issues because they marred up my phone.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

SU$: 22,483
The problem is more likely your TPU case.

People never realize this, but dust and particles get in between the case and phone and it acts like sandpaper scratching the phone

-Sent from Tapatalk
carpediem06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem06 View Post
The problem is more likely your TPU case.

People never realize this, but dust and particles get in between the case and phone and it acts like sandpaper scratching the phone

-Sent from Tapatalk
I am well aware of this and not in this case. The surface if the device and trim is relatively unscathed. The trim is wavy in spots, like a wire that has been bent out if shape and replaced as well as possible. The gouges are tiny, flat, uniformly placed, and only in the space between the backing and the edge of he trim that touches it.

No, this is because their repair people used a prying tool to open the case, probably metal and not soft plastic like all battery replacement kits come with, and they probably didn't heat the back up, the just shoved a little, metal shim tool in.

Is it overwhelmingly noticeable? No. If it was, I would have seen it weeks ago.

Am I sending it back just for this (or at all if I can avoid it)? no.

What I am worried about, is the question of what happens if I have another warranty issue?. If I send it back for again, and the next technician sees those little pry marks all the way around, I fear he or she will assume it was me, the user who did it. Why? Because that was the first, very accusing question the phone support person asked when I told him what I had found.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: Blk N4 & Wht S4
Trades: 10
SU$: 116,505
Well hopefully you won't have to send it back a second time. If you do, consider not buying their phones again. Obviously a terrible job was done and keep all possible records of the transaction so you can forward them if necessary. Carp I'll have to disagree with you on the case thing. I'm a tpu guy and have no problems with them damaging the edges.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion View Post
Well hopefully you won't have to send it back a second time. If you do, consider not buying their phones again. Obviously a terrible job was done and keep all possible records of the transaction so you can forward them if necessary. Carp I'll have to disagree with you on the case thing. I'm a tpu guy and have no problems with them damaging the edges.
Agreed.

I also don't plan on buying a new phone on Sprint again. Among other reasons, Sprint has not offered true, 1 year warranty coverage in their stores for some time. If you don't carry insurance as well (which I prefer not to) they now charge $75 per visit. And, if you do carry insurance, you get 2 free warranty visits, then the rest are $25 per.

As far as I know, AT&T honors first year warranty coverage, in store, without insisting upon an additional fees or insurance contract. So, for a variety of reasons I think I will go that way next time.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
Missylg
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Lg g3
SU$: 114
Angry Refurbished

I am having issues with my lg g3 and brought it to Sprint. They are replacing it with a refurbished phone. My phone is only 7 months old. I expected more having TEP. Has anyone had any problems with a refurbished lg g3. I want a new phone. Any suggestions?
Missylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Nexus 6
SU$: 2,604
Hello, Missylg!

Your post probably deserves a new thread or should be put into a thread regarding TEP since the topic here relates to repairs through LG rather than Sprint. Anyway, I know it's frustrating to get refurbished rather than new, but as long as the refurbished device comes from the manufacturer, I would expect it to be as good as (or even better than) new.

In most cases, a manufacturer refurbished device has gotten brand new components as part of the refurbishing process and usually undergoes far more testing than a mass-produced new device. This can be different from devices you get from a source other than the manufacturer that are labeled as refurbished. In those situations, the phones are sometimes simply repackaged and sent off in the hopes there's nothing wrong with them, putting the burden on the purchaser to figure out if it's in good shape.

I've never purchased insurance for a phone. I find it expensive both from a monthly fee as well as the high deductible, and it's something I'd rarely use. If I had subscribed to insurance, I probably would have spent about $1000 or more in the last 16 years on the monthly premium. I've had problems with my phone 3 or 4 times that required repairs, which would have been another $200-$400 in deductibles. Instead, I simply paid Sprint $35 each for the first 2 repairs and $115 for a recent, very terrible screen repair on my LG G2 at a non-Sprint shop. At this point, my LG G2 is at the LG repair center and I'll find out how much they'll charge me for a refurbished replacement. If it's over $75, I'll simply have them return it for free and ask Sprint to replace it. They told me it'd be $75 if I do it through them.

Good luck with your refurb!

EDIT: If you pay your monthly Sprint bill using a Wells Fargo credit card, you already have insurance for your phone. $600 coverage with $25 deductible for any type of loss at no extra charge!!! I need to get a Wells credit card! https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ne-protection/

Last edited by jigwashere; 05-24-2015 at 10:40 AM.
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
SU$: 16,424
I want a million bucks.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,HM,S &TMO
SU$: 16,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
Agreed.

I also don't plan on buying a new phone on Sprint again. Among other reasons, Sprint has not offered true, 1 year warranty coverage in their stores for some time. If you don't carry insurance as well (which I prefer not to) they now charge $75 per visit. And, if you do carry insurance, you get 2 free warranty visits, then the rest are $25 per.

As far as I know, AT&T honors first year warranty coverage, in store, without insisting upon an additional fees or insurance contract. So, for a variety of reasons I think I will go that way next time.
Was going to start a new thread, but I'll post here instead. I purchased a "new" LG Nexus 5 from Sprint in March. The power button was unacceptably loose and rattled whenever the phone was moved. Contacted LG and explained the issue. Sent it to them in Texas. They said the phone was out of warranty and they'd fix it for $45 or fully refurbish it for $145.00.

This was supposed to be a new phone.
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Nexus 5 from sprint this March 2015? Hmm thought they had been end of lifed a while ago?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
Nexus 5 from sprint this March 2015? Hmm thought they had been end of lifed a while ago?
Perhaps, but Sprint still sells them. The part that's shady is that Sprint is selling refurbs as new. Just wait until a slew of leased devices come due to be returned. No doubt they'll be resold as "new."
Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #12
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Now that I don't believe. Did it come in the Lg box or a brown box with a REC SKU on it..
Old 06-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
Now that I don't believe. Did it come in the Lg box or a brown box with a REC SKU on it..
It came in an LG box, but the label was placed differently than it was on the N5 I purchased directly from Google.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > Concerns about LG Warranty Repair...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: