Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #31
Adondo
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: RootedEpicTouch
SU$: 7,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
I was thinking about getting one of these and taking it to work to make my job easier.

http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-Digit...7132897&sr=8-2
Looks like a pretty good deal, but you'll probably want one with a vacuum pump and desoldering tool for desoldering conventional components. The 988D does that.

Either way, be sure to order a tube each of Amtech NC-559-V2 soldering paste, and NC-559-V2-TF desoldering paste. The solder paste is weird, the little tube weighs quadruple what you'd expect since it's full of dissolved metal particles. Practice removing/installing a few SMD IC's on an old circuit board to get the technique down pat.

As for the story above about the repair center wanting a fee for swapping with a refurb, and the alternative of ''send it off to HTC for weeks to get it done for free'' sounds like blackmail to me.

I can see them wanting to do a refurb swap as tearing down the Evo to get to the offending USB socket will be time consuming. You can see what it takes to get that deep into it here: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-E...eardown/2979/1

On the second page you can see the surface mounted USB and HDMI sockets. The only thing holding them to the board are the shield tabs on each side. That connection is only as strong as the circuit board's trace material. The shield tabs almost NEVER break, it's the traces that lift up from the board, or a crappy solder job gives up and separates. Now you see why to NOT swing the Evo around by its charging/data cord.

Last edited by Adondo; 02-09-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Adondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
andrewhaley
Two Cans & String User

Phone: SCH-R720
SU$: 22
Just wrap up the cord

Just wrap up the cord around the phone.

I have the same problem too I tripped over the cord and the phone when't flying.

Then I tryed it and it worked. You might want to get another cable though
andrewhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:50 AM   #33
Missylg
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Lg g3
SU$: 114
I am having the same problem with my lg g3, Sprint will replace it with a refurbished phone. My phone is only 7 months old. I expected more having TEP. Do I have any way to get a new phone. Has anyone had any problems with a refurbished lg g3?
Missylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #34
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
Ate a lifetime in wireless.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: