Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Exclamation Verizon customers: crooks ordering phones, shipping them out of state..

Be careful and be aware.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...-state02062015

Quote:
DENVER - A Verizon customer said she received a bill for a new Apple iPhone 6 and new monthly charges, but there's a catch -- she never ordered a new phone. 7NEWS has learned she's not the only one in Colorado whose mobile account has been hacked.

By Saturday, after the story aired on 7NEWS at 10 p.m., about three dozen more Verizon customers have contacted us saying they were also victims of an order for a new iPhone 6 and new service plan. If you are a victim, please contact reporter Marshall Zelinger at marshall@thedenverchannel.com

When Tracey Hunter told Verizon she never bought a new phone or new plan, she said she was told the order was stopped.

However, 7NEWS found the phone charged to Hunter's account was set to be delivered to an out-of-state address she didn't recognize on Monday.

"The charge was $332 for the new phone and the activation and then additionally, a charge of $153.90 per month," said Hunter.

When you already have cell phone service it's unusual to get an email confirming your order for new cell phone service.

"Shock. Anger. I kind of felt like someone had stolen from me," she said. "An iPhone 6 with 64 gigabytes in gold. Apple earpods with a remote and a mic."

Hunter said she is concerned because someone would need her billing address and the last four of her social to place the order.

"That's a bit concerning that this person has this information about me," she said.

The same thing happened to Hunter's friend, but in that case Verizon fraud prevention stopped that order before it was processed.

In both cases, Colorado accounts were ordering phones and service to be delivered to both Benton Hills and Kalamazoo, Michigan.

7NEWS tracked down the phone numbers for the two people who supposedly ordered phones on Hunter's account, and that of her friend. According to an automated response, the phone numbers had been changed.

"I looked him up on LinkedIn honestly, and it doesn't seem like a person who would be stealing from me," said Hunter.
Verizon: No evidence of data breach

"We don't have any evidence of a data breach," said Verizon spokeswoman Meagan Dorsh, on Friday.

Dorsch said Verizon customers may have been the victim of phishing attempts in which they gave a third-party account information in order for that third party to make a purchase on the Verizon website under that customer's name.

A comment on our Facebook page from Sherri Spender asked, "Did any of you get an offer to log into a VZW website to get credit on your next bill? You enter your real login and 4 digit billing code. That was a scam -- that's how they get your info to make orders and changes on your account. "

Another Facebook poster, Judy Tinghino Hanson, told us, "I live in Orlando FL and this happened to me last year. Someone ordered an iPhone 5 under my Verizon and had it shipped to Kissimmee. Now when I log into Verizon I have to provide username, password and answer to secret question."

"It was just interesting to me that we both had this happen in the same day, and both from Michigan. That's why it seems to me that it could be a bigger deal," said Hunter.

NOTE: An earlier version of this story misquoted the Verizon spokeswoman who said there was no evidence of a data breach, instead of there was no "additional" evidence of a data breach.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
Lol at the quote "anger shock. 64GB iPhone 6 gold. With EarPods and remote"

Honey, those EarPods, which are terrible, come standard. Why didn't you mention the 1 meter lightning cable?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: