Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Microsoft’s Windows 10 Unveil Said To Be Coming September 30, 2014...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/21/mic...usaolp00000591

Quote:
Windows 9 has been leaked, and seems to show a backing away from the aggressively touch-focused Windows 8, with a mini start menu and dropping of the Charms bar, but we’ll get a better look September 30, according to the Verge. The blog reports Microsoft is planning an official unveiling of what’s next for its desktop OS for that date, with a technology preview available for early adopters following quickly after that.

The upcoming Windows 9 release is codenamed ‘Threshold,’ and expectations are that we’ll see it arrive for the general public as a stable release sometime early next year. Previously, we covered what might be happening with the new release, which suggests that the desktop might be getting a return to glory in the new version – think more Windows 7 in your Windows 8 experience. Expectations are that Modern Windows (aka Metro) will still exist in the next generation, but it’ll be more closely integrated with the desktop side, with apps running in windowed mode instead of requiring you to switch between the two environments.

As a fairly frequent Windows user, but mostly on a desktop gaming PC, I’m excited about the new (old) direction Microsoft’s OS is apparently headed in – let’s hope they don’t go in a different direction what they actually unveil in late September.
cookie1069 (09-28-2014), YPG (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I finally gave into using a 3rd party solution with Windows 8 to get it to be usable on my laptop, but I still haven't upgraded the other systems around the house because I'd rather wait on a built-in solution.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I finally gave into using a 3rd party solution with Windows 8 to get it to be usable on my laptop, but I still haven't upgraded the other systems around the house because I'd rather wait on a built-in solution.
I am taking a wait and see approach myself.

Windows 7 has served me well, and Windows 8 just sucks in my opinion.

If Windows 9 can function and work for my needs like Windows 7 does then I may consider it. Otherwise I will skip it like I am doing with Windows 8.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Update: http://news.yahoo.com/confirmed-wind...133033409.html

Quote:
Multiple Windows 9 reports have suggested that Microsoft is considering releasing the upcoming platform as a free download to certain existing Windows users. Some said that Windows 8 will get Windows 9 free of charge, while others claimed the company is also considering some sort of special offers for existing Windows XP users. A report from Indonesian online publication Detik said earlier this week that President of Microsoft Indonesia Andreas Diantoro has confirmed this particular Windows 9 feature.

FROM EARLIER: Windows 9 can’t come out soon enough for Microsoft

According to Diantoro, the Windows 9 upgrade will be available free of charge to all existing Windows 8 users once it’s released. Apparently, users will be able to easily install the Windows 9 update after downloading it from Microsoft, which is how Apple’s OS X updates have been rolled out to Macs for a few years now. For what it’s worth, some of the recent Windows 9 leaks did say that Microsoft already has a tool in place that will allow users to easily perform software updates.

It’s not clear whether other Windows users who are on older versions of the OS will get any other special offers, and actual prices for Windows 9 have yet to be revealed. Microsoft is reportedly interested in moving many people from the older, and no longer supported, Windows XP and offering Windows 9 as a free download might be a great incentive for some.

Microsoft is going to soon unveil Windows 9 and release a technical preview of it. Recent leaks, including many videos, have revealed some of the major features coming to Windows 9, including the return of the Start menu, the Cortana voice-based search assistant that’s currently available only on Windows Phone, the Notification Center, support for multiple desktops, and several other UI enhancements.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
robbierob03
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy SIII
SU$: 705
I find it interesting that they changed the name to Windows 10, but I like what I saw in the engadget coverage. I would actually upgrade to this instead of staying on Windows 7since Microsoft decided to remember that we use laptops for work and tablets for plan (generally speaking).
robbierob03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Tech News Desk > Microsoft’s Windows 10 Unveil Said To Be Coming September 30, 2014...