Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Thumbs up FCC to Vote September 30 to End NFL Blackout Rule..

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/F...ut-Rule-130445

Quote:
For forty years now, regulators have enforced a rule that blacks out local NFL games on television if locals didn't buy enough tickets to see the games. The idea at the time was to aid a young and struggling league, but as time has passed the rules have proven burdensome on communities, and an unnecessary "subsidy" for a hugely profitable NFL.

Some four decades later and the FCC is looking to eliminate these outdated rules, FCC boss Tom Wheeler penning an editorial this week in USAToday stating that the agency will vote September 30 to eliminate these rules once and for all:

"Today, we are blowing the whistle on this anti-fan practice. The NFL should no longer be able to hide behind government rules that punish loyal fans, which is why I am sending to my fellow commissioners a proposal to get rid of the FCC's blackout rules once and for all. It fulfills a commitment I made in June. We will vote on the proposal on September 30."

Despite all the momentum being with the fans and the FCC, the NFL in recent months has used Lynn Swann to spearhead a fairly feeble effort to keep the rules in place, claiming that thousands of organizations and fans have contacted the league to keep the rules alive. This "news" report from the NFL itself on the matter is worth an entertaining read, with the NFL insisting the rules are necessary to protect free football on TV.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
robbierob03
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy SIII
SU$: 705
With the proliferation of large screen HDTV's and HD game broadcasts, I can see the NFL worried that it becomes a better experience in some ways to stay home and watch the game than going to the stadium. This is a big win for fans of struggling franchises if it passes, and in the long run is probably good for the NFL anyway. The NFL gets access to children growing up rooting for a team, and fans win as it will force the league to improve the in stadium experience.
robbierob03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
krudl3r
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Pixel, 128
SU$: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbierob03 View Post
... The NFL gets access to children growing up rooting for a team, and fans win as it will force the league to improve the in stadium experience.
The NFL needs to do something about all the violence they allow in advertising, specifically movie trailers and tv show promos - it is simply not suitable viewing for young children because of those two issues. I sit on the remote during the games we do watch, but still it definitely affects our amount of viewing.
krudl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
robbierob03
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy SIII
SU$: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudl3r View Post
The NFL needs to do something about all the violence they allow in advertising, specifically movie trailers and tv show promos - it is simply not suitable viewing for young children because of those two issues. I sit on the remote during the games we do watch, but still it definitely affects our amount of viewing.
That's probably something that isn't too practical from a business perspective. NFL game viewers are mostly comprised of the male 18-35 target demographic for most of those movie trailers and tv shows. And to be fair aren't games rated TV-PG anyway?
robbierob03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
krudl3r
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Pixel, 128
SU$: 5,277
They replace 36s with 17s... It is in their interests. Too many parents simply must not care their kids get to watch gun violence during the breaks. I think it is a shame.

I know I don't have a good argument... Just irritates me...

Last edited by krudl3r; 09-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.
krudl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Arena > Football > FCC to Vote September 30 to End NFL Blackout Rule..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: