Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Arrow Verizon to start throttling data on unlimited LTE plans..

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/25/v...ns-throttling/

Quote:
Out of the many trappings US carriers have in common, throttling speeds for heavy data users is certainly one of them. So, accordingly, it's not surprising for Verizon to confirm reports that it will soon start slowing things down for more customers. According to Droid Life, Verizon has admitted that, beginning in October, people with an unlimited 4G LTE data plan will see reduced speeds should they fall in the network's top five percent of internet users, among other things. More specifically, this is part of a plan Verizon is calling "Network Optimization," which means throttled speeds for anyone who consumes more than 4.7GB of data per month, is enrolled on an unlimited data plan, has fulfilled a two-year contract but is still with the carrier, and attempts to "use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand." Chances are most of you won't be affected by this, but it's definitely not good news for others who may be.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
AL_CAPONE_187
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Sprint Diamond
SU$: 6,407
I thought i read they werent allowed to ever touch those plans as far as to throttle.
AL_CAPONE_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
The SPCS Guy
Yup...Still With Sprint... ImmaTwiztedOne!

Phone: Galaxy Note 4™
Trades: 1
SU$: 10,113
Send a message via Skype™ to The SPCS Guy
Who told you that? LOL. It's Verizon.
Customizations:AppBrain Apps
The SPCS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
austin4435
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SPCS Guy View Post
Who told you that? LOL. It's Verizon.
Omg!
austin4435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin4435

Omg!
Wait you mean Sprint isn't the only carrier to change your terms and conditions?? Color me shocked
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
krudl3r
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Pixel, 128
SU$: 5,277
Looks like another Block C fine coming their way...
krudl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_CAPONE_187 View Post
I thought i read they werent allowed to ever touch those plans as far as to throttle.
They weren't, but the FCC is on top of it tho. http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/30/f...tises-verizon/

Quote:
Not happy that Verizon is going to throttle unlimited LTE data plans? You're not alone. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has just sent a letter to Verizon Wireless CEO Dan Mead criticizing the carrier for the new policy. He's "deeply troubled" by the move, and suggests that the arbitrary slowdowns may be violating the open access rules that Verizon said it would obey back in 2008. The FCC defines "reasonable network management" in terms of technology-related issues (like congestion and security) rather than service plans, Wheeler says. To him, Big Red is abusing a "loophole" in order to boot customers off of unlimited data and wring out more profit -- Mead may have to do a good job defending the decision if he wants to avoid a regulatory fight.

We've reached out to Verizon for its response to the letter, and we'll let you know if it has something to say. With that said, it's no secret that larger US carriers (chiefly AT&T and Verizon) have been doing their utmost to push customers towards more lucrative capped plans. Verizon itself requires that you buy new devices at full price if you want to keep unlimited data; AT&T has been throttling unlimited plans (and occasionally restricting features) for some time.

Mead and company may contend that unlimited users are more likely to choke the network. However, that could be a difficult argument to make when Verizon is targeting only unlimited customers, not capped users who chew up similar amounts of bandwidth. The provider also can't point to the lack of penalties for AT&T's actions, since that carrier didn't agree to open access rules for its LTE frequencies. Unless Verizon can persuade the FCC that throttling is genuinely necessary, it may have to reconsider its strategy.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
Wait you mean Sprint isn't the only carrier to change your terms and conditions?? Color me shocked
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Makkari
Awake in a Dream

SU$: 563
I have two sons and the one thing I have learned as a parent is that children will test their limits to see exactly what their limits are; you, as the parent, need to strictly define those limits and enforce punishments or rewards if or when/if they test those limits. The problem I see here is that Verizon is like a child testing its limits, but the FCC is like the parent that just talks, but enforces nothing. Sending a letter to Verizon is pointless. Verizon is well aware of what they doing. The FCC needs to take action against them--period. Any user, even those on metered/shared plans, would negatively impact the network, so to only throttle those with "unlimited" plan is discrimination, at best, and goes against the agreement Verizon signed to get the spectrum on which most of their LTE network runs. These companies over-promised (by offering "unlimited" plans in the first place), over-estimated their capacity, over-promoted their network as being "the most reliable," yet under deliver. Whose fault is that? If you sign up for something (i.e., an "unlimited" plan) and pay for it, then that is what you should receive.

As to the technical aspects of allowing or offering "unlimited" data, that's something these companies should have considered before they offered "unlimited" plans in the first place. Some might call that poor management or incompetence, but somehow it always boils down to “did you read the fine print?” or “what do you expect?” or the network simply can't handle this much data usage. You mean to tell me, no one knew this was possible. All these techs and engineers and yet no one realized until it was happening that spectrum is finite, but users appetites are not. If the FCC wants to show that it exist for a reason, this would be a fine time to show and prove that, not by necessarily making an example of Verizon, but by simply doing the right thing and punishing them in a way that makes sure that they don't try this again and therefore understand their limit.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
krudl3r
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Pixel, 128
SU$: 5,277
I wonder how much of the issue could be attributed to HD Netflix streaming... They really may not have seen that coming.
krudl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Verizon Discussion > Verizon to start throttling data on unlimited LTE plans..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: