Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #16
KTee
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Iphone
Trades: 10
SU$: 9,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
Buying a refurbished device is different than getting replaced with one IMO. Buying one should come with warranty. Getting replaced should not reset warranty date from original purchase date.

Sent from my iPad using SU Forum
I had purchased applecare+ on my new iPhone, and when it failed and was replaced by a refurb, that phone continued to have the rest of my applecare warranty… at least that is what I believe happened. I had no choice of what I was sent, new or refurb.
I would not want to buy a refurb laptop if it was not covered by a warranty, so I agree with you there. I'm not sure what you meant about not resetting the warranty date though. I would not want my new iPhone to be replaced by a refurb iPhone that is not covered, if I had 7 months of warranty remaining. Maybe I misunderstood?
KTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
miamisaint
Telegraph User

SU$: 947
Apple replaced my phone again :/ my phone they replaced my old one with was starting to overheat and I plugged the phone into my charger and it was completely blank. I took it to the Apple store and they somehow turned it back on and offered me to get a replacement iPhone but this time at a cost of $269.99. I didn't really have the extra money to replace my phone especially after spending $300 on it already. I spoke to a manager and she told me she couldn't do anything to help me since I was 43 days out of warranty. I called up AppleCare and spoke to a Senior advisor I explained to him my situation and he told me he was able to help me and that he could replace my phone free of charge. I had no clue he could even do something like that but considering how lucrative Apple is they can afford to help people out.
miamisaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisaint View Post
Apple replaced my phone again :/ my phone they replaced my old one with was starting to overheat and I plugged the phone into my charger and it was completely blank. I took it to the Apple store and they somehow turned it back on and offered me to get a replacement iPhone but this time at a cost of $269.99. I didn't really have the extra money to replace my phone especially after spending $300 on it already. I spoke to a manager and she told me she couldn't do anything to help me since I was 43 days out of warranty. I called up AppleCare and spoke to a Senior advisor I explained to him my situation and he told me he was able to help me and that he could replace my phone free of charge. I had no clue he could even do something like that but considering how lucrative Apple is they can afford to help people out.
You get one year of warranty with Apple products standard. If you buy Applecare+ you get another year (two if you are buying a Mac). But you have to buy AC+ either with your purchase or within a certain time frame.

It sounds like you did not buy AC+ and your year of warranty expired. The price you quote is the OoW (Out of Warranty) price. That's a courtesy Apple extends (although it may not seem like it) to it's out of warranty customers so that they avoid paying FULL price for a replacement device. Considering that full price can be upwards of $500 depending on your device model, $269 isn't really that bad.

In any case you probably spoke with someone from Apple's Executive Services. They have more power to do things. The Apple Genuises are constrained by Apple's policies. Violating those policies can get them fired.

Consider this a very big favor that Apple is doing you. If you were (are) out of warranty Apple has every right to deny you a free replacement, even if the problem with your phone may have been covered when under warranty. Out of warranty is out of warranty.

Incidentally, AC+ also has two ADH allowances. ADH stands for Accidental Damage and Handling. It allows you to replace your phone for $99 (used to be $59) if you do any damage to it that's not covered by warranty.

Without this, you can bring your water damaged, thrown against the wall iPhone to Apple and they have every right to charge you either the OoW price or full price for a replacement. Damage such as this is not covered under the standard one year warranty.

Applecare+ is something you may wish to consider the next time you purchase an iPhone.

Last edited by eyoungren; 03-30-2014 at 01:37 PM.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:48 AM   #19
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
And Apple doesn't ever replace with refurbished phones. But, if they did, their refurbished products are actually as good or better than brand new.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #20
Cam
Telephone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 4,811
Send a message via AIM to Cam Send a message via Yahoo to Cam
I bought Apple care when I bought my iPhone 4s in 2012. For me it was the best experience owning an phone because when something was not working on the phone. I was able to take it to The Apple store and each time I went in there it if they could not fix the problem I was able to get another phone free of charge. All of my repair issues were hardware related.

It was good to know that Apple stands behind their product.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
KTee
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Iphone
Trades: 10
SU$: 9,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
And Apple doesn't ever replace with refurbished phones. But, if they did, their refurbished products are actually as good or better than brand new.
Since I have received a refurbished iphone as a replacement, they do replace with refurbished at times. I had applecare+ on it.
KTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
That isn't true. As I've mentioned earlier there is a mix of refurb and new iPhones shipped to Apple stores in those white boxes. It's really chance that gives you a new or refurb phone.

But saying that your replacement is not ever a refurb has as much truth to it as saying that it's not ever a brand new phone.

I do agree that you can't tell the difference though as the refurbs are as good as or better than new.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Apple iPhone 5 Series > Apple replaced my iphone 5 today and i didnt get to ask if my phone was refurbished.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: