Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

View Poll Results: Should People Be Allowed to Use Cell Phones on a Plane?
Yes 4 30.77%
No 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
Trades: 1
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 6,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLME View Post
A big fat NO!!!!!!

It was bad enough listening to Nextel "chirps" and now that is gone.

I can imagine someone on a plane talking on a phone and someone will get pissed off enough to trash the phone during flight.
They got replaced by iPhone/Galaxy SMS tones.

I went to ASOP now because everyone has the Galaxy Whistle and it got annoying

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums
JonathanFIUWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 42,357
Delta says no voice calls in air: http://www.wral.com/delta-no-voice-c...anes/13227570/
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Matt
No H8

Mood: none
Phone: Galaxy S8
Trades: 5
SU$: 80,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by YPG View Post
Good on them.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
Ctrl_Alt_Del
Rockin the ROOTED Note 3

Mood: Happy
Phone: Galaxy Note 3
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 6,736
Playing games & messaging with the in-flight Wi-Fi, yes...but ONLY, & I mean ONLY with headphones on. No exceptions. Period! I don't wanna hear "Ding...ding, BOOP BOOP, twang.....clunk...ding, ding, CHIME!!!...for the whole flight!

Talking on a cellphone while on a flight, not just no, HELL no! No exceptions! Period!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 6,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del View Post
Playing games & messaging with the in-flight Wi-Fi, yes...but ONLY, & I mean ONLY with headphones on. No exceptions. Period! I don't wanna hear "Ding...ding, BOOP BOOP, twang.....clunk...ding, ding, CHIME!!!...for the whole flight!

Talking on a cellphone while on a flight, not just no, HELL no! No exceptions! Period!
Ive done it before on google voice... even I dont like it.

Can you imagine being next to the person finding out they were cheated on

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums
JonathanFIUWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Dzalumni
And the home of the SIOUX!

Phone: Treo Pro
SU$: 11,954
Send a message via AIM to Dzalumni Send a message via Yahoo to Dzalumni
It amazes me how many ppl don't put their phone in airplane mode.

True the FAA lets you leave your phone on in airplane mode, not in airplane mode causes interference.
What most ppl probably don't realize is the FAA leave the phone on to the pilot in charge, any interference & the flight deck can order all devices turned off.
Also, after the first accident related to interference we use all electronics on planes.

So for the love, please put your phone in airplane mode. Your text is NOT that important.

Buddy, who knew what your life was like, before you joined our family.You brought, laughter, sunshine and smiles to our family. You are missed. R.I.P my sweet one.
Dzalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
...what?
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #23
joe01880
Telegraph User

SU$: 327
Just what I need, I'm not nervous enough while flying, worrying the plane will fall out of the sky through mechanical failure or some nut trying to run it into a building because he's pissed at the world. I want some jerk yacking away on his cell phone, one on each side of me.
Nay, we don't need idiots on their cells in U.S. airspace.
joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,401
Voice calls - NO! Anything else you can use the phone for - OK.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #25
Matt
No H8

Mood: none
Phone: Galaxy S8
Trades: 5
SU$: 80,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion125 View Post
Voice calls - NO! Anything else you can use the phone for - OK.
I can dig it.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #26
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 42,357
Cellphone calls on planes? Don't ask the feds.

http://www.wral.com/cellphone-calls-...feds/13417525/

WASHINGTON — It looks like the government is more conflicted about cellphones on planes than most travelers. Even as one federal agency considers allowing the calls, another now wants to make sure that doesn't happen.

Passengers — particularly those who fly often —oppose allowing calls in flight, polls show. In line with that sentiment, the Transportation Department signaled in a notice posted online Friday that it is considering retaining the 23-year-old ban on the calls and asked for public comments. But the notice comes just two months after the Federal Communications Commission voted to pursue lifting the ban.

The Transportation Department regulates aviation consumer issues. The FCC has responsibility over whether the use of cellphones in flight would interfere with cellular networks on the ground.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has said he wants to repeal the current ban, calling it restrictive and outdated. He also wants the airlines, not the government, to have final say on in-flight calling. He declined to comment Friday on the department's notice.

Echoing some travelers' concerns, the Transportation Department said it believes allowing passengers to make cellphone calls "may be harmful or injurious" to other passengers.

This is because "people tend to talk louder on cellphones than when they're having face-to-face conversations," the department said. "They are also likely to talk more and further increase the noise on a flight, as passengers would not be simply talking to the persons sitting next to them but can call whomever they like."

Some planes already have seat-back phones in place, but they are rarely used, it said.

The "concern is not about individual calls, but rather the cumulative impact of allowing in-flight calls in close quarters," the department said.

In an Associated Press-GfK poll three months ago, 48 percent of those surveyed opposed letting cellphones be used for voice calls while planes are in flight, while 19 percent were in favor and 30 percent were neutral. Among those who'd flown four or more times in the previous year, the rate of opposition soared to 78 percent.

Delta Air Lines told the government last year that 64 percent of its passengers indicated that the ability to make phone calls in flight would have a negative impact on their onboard experience.

The FCC has already received more than 1,200 public comments on its proposal, almost all of them opposed to lifting the ban.

"Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants to be the involuntary audience of another passenger's telephone conversation," one commenter said Friday. "It is the equivalent of torture to be forced to listen to the incessant prattling of a seatmate, compounded by the impossibility of escape."

Among the most ardent opponents of lifting the current ban are flight attendants, who worry that phone conversation will spark arguments between passengers and even acts of violence.

"Allowing passengers to use cellphones during commercial flights will add unacceptable risks to aviation security, compromise a flight attendant's ability to maintain order in an emergency, increase cabin noise and tension among passengers and interfere with crew members in the performance of their duties as first responders in the cabin," said Corey Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the Association of Flight Attendants, responding to the department's proposal. The association represents nearly 60,000 flight attendants at 19 carriers.

Congress, inhabited by some of the nation's most frequent fliers, is also getting into the act. Lawmakers are pushing legislation to require transportation regulators to implement a ban on calls.

"When it comes to cellphones on planes, tap don't talk," Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said last week as the committee gave bipartisan approval to his bill.

The current FCC ban was adopted in 1991 based on concern the calls might interfere with cellular networks on the ground, but technological advances have resolved those worries. In 2005, the FCC cleared the way for airlines to begin offering Wi-Fi in flight.

Last October, the Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates safety, dropped its ban on the use of personal electronic devices such as tablets, music players and smartphones to send email, to text or to surf the Internet during takeoffs and landings. The agency said it is no longer worried the devices will interfere with ****pit electronics. However, phone calls during all phases of flight are still prohibited because of the FCC ban.
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Tech News Desk > Cell Phone Use On Plane: Yay or Nay?

Tags
airline, cell, flying, phone