Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 32,382
I got an apology call from Sprint on Monday saying it would probably be another 3 to 4 weeks before my gold iPhone 5s shipped. They also said they would waive any activation fees. It arrived today. So all of you waiting might want to check your order status since it seems it might ship sooner than they told you.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
bdever
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 4S 16GB
SU$: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac
I got an apology call from Sprint on Monday saying it would probably be another 3 to 4 weeks before my gold iPhone 5s shipped. They also said they would waive any activation fees. It arrived today. So all of you waiting might want to check your order status since it seems it might ship sooner than they told you.
Can't wait to hear all about it gwmac. Which one did you get?
bdever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 32,382
32GB version
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #34
tmajor
Telegraph User

SU$: 367
Sprint is pushing their insurance at the great rate of $11 per month and a high deductible of $200-$250. So they're not offering Applecare. They're pushing Asurion. I'm not gonna pay insurance so I could be given a refurbished phone or a one that has counterfeit replacement parts. Many ppl have complaints about these issues with Asurion. I got insurance elsewhere on a personal note.
tmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #35
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajor View Post
Sprint is pushing their insurance at the great rate of $11 per month and a high deductible of $200-$250. So they're not offering Applecare. They're pushing Asurion. I'm not gonna pay insurance so I could be given a refurbished phone or a one that has counterfeit replacement parts. Many ppl have complaints about these issues with Asurion. I got insurance elsewhere on a personal note.
We (my wife and I) were paying the old $8 TEP before we upgraded. Now that we both have iPhones we both have Applecare+.

It's been useful because Apple has already replaced my phone once (a year ago). But Applecare+ is actually just an extended warranty. I don't like the idea of dealing with Asurion and paying TEP, but the one advantage it has is that it covers theft. You are SOL with Apple if your phone is stolen.

On the other hand, I am now paying only $4 more for my phone bill than I was earlier because not paying TEP for two phones has offset the premium data charge that I was NOT paying until now.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
tmajor
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren
We (my wife and I) were paying the old $8 TEP before we upgraded. Now that we both have iPhones we both have Applecare+. It's been useful because Apple has already replaced my phone once (a year ago). But Applecare+ is actually just an extended warranty. I don't like the idea of dealing with Asurion and paying TEP, but the one advantage it has is that it covers theft. You are SOL with Apple if your phone is stolen. On the other hand, I am now paying only $4 more for my phone bill than I was earlier because not paying TEP for two phones has offset the premium data charge that I was NOT paying until now.
Yeah I agree about being SOL. I just make sure I don't put my phone down anywhere when I'm out because of ppl and their sticky fingers. Applecare on the other hand is way better than Asurion. You save money and get better service. I even heard the case of ppl having insurance and can't get their iphone replaced and forced to take another type of phone. I would have a FIT. Knowing I'm being degraded plus all the money plus deductible I paid.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #37
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajor View Post
Yeah I agree about being SOL. I just make sure I don't put my phone down anywhere when I'm out because of ppl and their sticky fingers. Applecare on the other hand is way better than Asurion. You save money and get better service. I even heard the case of ppl having insurance and can't get their iphone replaced and forced to take another type of phone. I would have a FIT. Knowing I'm being degraded plus all the money plus deductible I paid.
Her's the other cool thing about Apple versus going through Sprint/Asurion.

Say you need to replace your iPhone, but you are either out of warranty or did not purchase Applecare+. With Sprint/Asurion, you're screwed. It's either buy a new device from Sprint, or bring your own. But with Apple, you can get an Out of Warranty replacement (OoW). Right now, for the iPhone 5 it's $299. The 4s is a bit less. It was $259 a few months back. I imagine it may be a bit more for the 5s and 5c, but I don't know.

My point is that Apple is essentially letting you replace your iPhone for about a third of the full price. Or viewed another way, Apple is letting you buy a subsidized iPhone without extending your contract. Sprint would sell you a new phone, but you'd have to extend your contract. Asurion wouldn't cover you.

One of the big reasons I bought my iPhone 5 direct from Apple and not Sprint last year.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
tmajor
Telegraph User

Quote:
Her's the other cool thing about Apple versus going through Sprint/Asurion. Say you need to replace your iPhone, but you are either out of warranty or did not purchase Applecare+. With Sprint/Asurion, you're screwed. It's either buy a new device from Sprint, or bring your own. But with Apple, you can get an Out of Warranty replacement (OoW). Right now, for the iPhone 5 it's $299. The 4s is a bit less. It was $259 a few months back. I imagine it may be a bit more for the 5s and 5c, but I don't know. My point is that Apple is essentially letting you replace your iPhone for about a third of the full price. Or viewed another way, Apple is letting you buy a subsidized iPhone without extending your contract. Sprint would sell you a new phone, but you'd have to extend your contract. Asurion wouldn't cover you. One of the big reasons I bought my iPhone 5 direct from Apple and not Sprint last year.
I totally agree. You definitely get a few more options going Apple's way. If one day Apple does decide to do lost/stolen coverage. Even if charging an extra fee ppl would probably go that route instead as well. I know I would.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
bdever
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 4S 16GB
SU$: 433
Quote:
Her's the other cool thing about Apple versus going through Sprint/Asurion. Say you need to replace your iPhone, but you are either out of warranty or did not purchase Applecare+. With Sprint/Asurion, you're screwed. It's either buy a new device from Sprint, or bring your own. But with Apple, you can get an Out of Warranty replacement (OoW). Right now, for the iPhone 5 it's $299. The 4s is a bit less. It was $259 a few months back. I imagine it may be a bit more for the 5s and 5c, but I don't know. My point is that Apple is essentially letting you replace your iPhone for about a third of the full price. Or viewed another way, Apple is letting you buy a subsidized iPhone without extending your contract. Sprint would sell you a new phone, but you'd have to extend your contract. Asurion wouldn't cover you. One of the big reasons I bought my iPhone 5 direct from Apple and not Sprint last year.
So if I were to get my phone stolen I could get an out of warranty replacement from Apple? I have AppleCare+ but assuming it was stolen would a oow replacement be an option?
bdever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #40
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdever View Post
So if I were to get my phone stolen I could get an out of warranty replacement from Apple? I have AppleCare+ but assuming it was stolen would a oow replacement be an option?
I don't know. I would assume so, but Apple has had thieves abusing the system as late as mid-2012.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
Vengeance
Telegraph User

SU$: 281
AppleCare + won't cover stolen phones, period. They'll tell you you're out of luck. Stick with your carriers insurance if you want protection from stolen devices. You can always try find my iphone and cross your fingers.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Apple iPhone 5 Series > Ordering the iPhone 5s Tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: