Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #46
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERPENTOR View Post
You got the nexus for free?
Yes, but, remember, like everything else, it's all in the luck and the timing. I got the right guy, face-to-face, was talking tech and mentioned situation as a "have you heard..." and he said, "really? let me make a call..." And, 20 minutes later I was on my way to pick up a Nexus. It could have remained just two guys talking tech.

I can't tell you that lightening will strike again for you, or anyone else. You probably have a better chance of politely arguing your case with Motorola Customer Service and trying to negotiate a trade of some kind for the Q.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #47
scandalex
Telephone User

Phone: E4GT
SU$: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
My wife is upset that Motorola decided against upgrading the Photon 4G to ICS or Jelly Bean. She has been looking forward to the fulfillment of their promise for months. It was one of the reasons she chose the phone.

She feels that to suddenly be told "NEVER MIND" is like a slap in the face.

Now, she says that she will never purchase a Motorola product again.
More than likely, I'll never own another Motorola phone again either.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #48
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
More than likely, I'll never own another Motorola phone again either.
Agreed. Unfortunately, this is an inherent problem with Android, in general. All of the manufacturers or mobile providers have played some role in deciding not to support previously committed-to products Most only seem to support the top one or two of some pretty extensive lines of products.

Google and its partners need to understand that getting Android customers is just the tip of the iceberg. Keeping them is the rest of it.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #49
merlec92
Telegraph User

Phone: LG G3 & G4
SU$: 234
I bought my son a Photon 4G which was a hot phone just a year ago. I will never buy a Motorola phone again because of this. I'm also very unhappy with the way not only Sprint but all US carriers drag their feet with Android upgrades. Sprint promised me JB on my Galaxy S3 by now. This combined with crappy service in San Diego and no 4G in sight I will switch my Family plan to a carrier that cares.
merlec92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #50
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlec92 View Post
I bought my son a Photon 4G which was a hot phone just a year ago. I will never buy a Motorola phone again because of this. I'm also very unhappy with the way not only Sprint but all US carriers drag their feet with Android upgrades. Sprint promised me JB on my Galaxy S3 by now. This combined with crappy service in San Diego and no 4G in sight I will switch my Family plan to a carrier that cares.
I feel your pain. But, the trouble is, it's not about finding a carrier who cares. You won't. Carriers are front-ending for a manufacturers product. They may be the "face" that sells to you, but they don't take responsibility when their partners' products fail to meet expectation, or renege on their commitments.

You need to re-think your position on your commitment to Android. You can absolutely love the OS, but the business process under which it functions are inherently flawed, and it is this business process, that makes it too time consuming and cost prohibitive for manufacturers to meet their obligations to their post sales customers. This also, IMHO, makes it difficult to insure return business.

If Android is the OS for you, You need to narrow your scope to 1) Nexus products only, which are always highly regarded, and guaranteed for ongoing updates and upgrades, and long term support or 2) Samsung's or HTC's highest end flagships ONLY (i.e., the SIII or EVO LTE, as they are the only ones that seem to eventually get what is promised. Even then, it could be months or years.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #51
nf39x
Telegraph User

SU$: 481
I ended up keeping my Photon, installing a decrapped stock ROM, and switching from Sprint to Ting because Ting paid my early termination fee. My monthly bill has dropped from $85 to about $30-40, and Ting's customer service is about 20 billion times better than Sprint's.

I'm never signing a contract or buying a subsidized phone from a carrier again.
nf39x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #52
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

Phone: DROID TURBO
SU$: 9,380
I emailed dan@sprint.com they listened and gave me an early upgrade I now own the note 2 and never looking back.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #53
HWest
Telegraph User

Phone: Motorola Photon
SU$: 418
The Photon is a great phone. Too bad Google/Motorola pulled support.
HWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #54
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

I'll go back to Motorola if they release DROID razors like Verizon.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #55
zeroxxx
Telegraph User

Phone: Blackberry Styl
SU$: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERPENTOR View Post
I'll go back to Motorola if they release DROID razors like Verizon.
X2, brother. But Sprint and Motorola have not seemed to be the good bed-fellows that Verizon and Moto have been.
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #56
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

I am hoping in time they get new DROID razors the battery life on them are amazing
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #57
zeroxxx
Telegraph User

Phone: Blackberry Styl
SU$: 128
The battery is the only reason I did not jump on the Photon Q. I don't understand how on one end of the spectrum they have the industry's best battery life(MAXX), yet on their 'top model' for Sprint the battery life is on-par at best.
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #58
No Limit
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Nexus 5
SU$: 1,635
The only reason why I'm still on this phone is there's more WiMax coverage in my area than LTE. Once the reverse happens, I will upgrade ASAP to another phone.
No Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 6,137
Yeah I said the same thing but wimax cuts off at 77 mph on the road. Didn't work for me. I just wonder if it will receive kit Kat through CM

My only concern is the photon is bricked now since it flashed to 2.3.5 and I need to buy a battery to reflash it. When I tried to buy a charger... It didn't work

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums
JonathanFIUWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Motorola > It's Official-Photon 4G WILL NOT receive ICS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: