Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 6S
SU$: 1,601
Holy Crap, I'm running 7.8

Thanks to the XDA gods. Gotta tell ya, it doesn't suck so far. Everything seems to be running on my Arrive. Ok, it still doesn't automatacilly start a new message if I go over 160, but holy crap I'm running 7.8. Not earth shattering news, but a pacifier until this summer!
Everything Data Share 1500; 6 lines; 19% Corp Disc; N&W @ 6p - $0, no longer that big with Unlimited Loyalty Bonus Minutes; Sprint Open World; Finally have LTE in my area, and for what its worth...in an announced "Carrier Agitation" market. However, still struggling thru the optimization process. Oh yeah, and that premium data thing.

Samsung A920 -> Palm Centro -> HTC TP2 -> HTC Arrive -> iPhone 5S -> iPhone 6S

Last edited by fishhead_soup; 01-30-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: for to make a link
fishhead_soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Musicman247
User and Abuser

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC Arrive
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 4,763
I did this same thing to my Arrive back in December. Wouldn't ever go back. I love that the keyboard stays up! Funny how it's the little things that really stand out.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
slim150
Telephone User

Mood: Bashful
My Mood: Bashful
SU$: 959
Was it hard to do? Which version from that link you provided did you use?

What is your favorite part about win 7.8 compared to 7? Thanks for your help!
slim150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

Unfortunately you'll have to install all the versions in between. Good thing the guys at WPCentral made it easier. Click here

Keep in mind, doing so is at your own risk and you may brick your phone
Everything Data Share 1500; 6 lines; 19% Corp Disc; N&W @ 6p - $0, no longer that big with Unlimited Loyalty Bonus Minutes; Sprint Open World; Finally have LTE in my area, and for what its worth...in an announced "Carrier Agitation" market. However, still struggling thru the optimization process. Oh yeah, and that premium data thing.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
FAMIR
Telephone User

SU$: 1,216
I got some weird problems with alarm. I didn't have any problem before but now, I can't stop the alarm from lock screen, the phone seems locked up, doesn't respond to any touch but only the power button, and it just won't stop the alarm. Take a long long time before it return to it's mind.
FAMIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

I used the Manual CAB updated referenced in this article at WPCentral starting back at update 8107 and going forward.

If I recall correctly, I had only 1 issue which was resolved when I repeated one of the update versions. I think I didn't use the language pks. And I think I even hard reset sometime during the process - sorry I didn't document my experiences.

My Arrive is functioning fine. All the live tiles I use (the basics - calls, txt, email, store updates, etc) seem to be updating correctly. There's a lag in the ME tile, however I believe that's always been the case and I don't rely on it much anyway.

I do like the better use of the screen with the larger tile layout. Being able to resize some of the tiles means I can see more at a glance without having to scroll down. It's more useful for me.

I still wish the LED notification would flash with any message, not just missed calls and/or voice messages.

All-in-all, if you are so inclined I recommend doing the manual update. Keep in mind, there is a chance that you may render your phone almost useless, unless you need paper weight.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

Just updated to the latest version 7.10.8860.142 using the Seven Eighter method. It was a breeze, less than 5 minutes. I don't see any improvements, however I'm sure there were some - right?!?!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
aztony
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Arrive
SU$: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead_soup View Post
Thanks to the XDA gods. Gotta tell ya, it doesn't suck so far. Everything seems to be running on my Arrive. Ok, it still doesn't automatacilly start a new message if I go over 160, but holy crap I'm running 7.8. Not earth shattering news, but a pacifier until this summer!
I sure would like to update my Arrive to 7.8. Being I've never hacked a phone before that makes me kind of nervous to even try.
aztony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post
I sure would like to update my Arrive to 7.8. Being I've never hacked a phone before that makes me kind of nervous to even try.
Easy peasey, just click on the method in the message above your post and follow along.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Telephone User

Mood: Fine
Phone: Moto X
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 1,023
So if you don't notice any difference what was the reason for possibly turning your phone into a paper weight if something had went wrong?
711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

I wanted the update for the better use of screen and the newer tile sizes. I've been out of contract since 2011 and due for a new phone. if i bricked my Arrive, it wouldnt have been a big deal. the last update was probably some minor bug fixes.

Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Windows Phone > Holy Crap, I'm running 7.8

Tags
htc arrive, windows phone 7.8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: