Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 32,382
Why no free M2M between Sprint, Boost & VM?

I am curious why Sprint doesn't at least allow free M2M between Sprint, VM, and Boost. Sprint does not have it's own branded pre-paid like Verizon for example, but they are essentially the same thing. Verizon pre-paid users are at least allowed to call all other Verizon phones without eating their minutes. It seems like it would be a smart thing to do for Sprint as well to allow all companies under their corporate umbrella to at least have free M2M between all three brands. And certainly also fix the issue where an Airave can interfere with a VM or Boost phone. That is just plain lunacy. You are essentially sabotaging your own customer base and preventing them from making calls.

Also seems like they could save a lot of money by consolidating the stores and sell all three brands in one store. I don't know if VM have many B&M stores, but Boost certainly has quite a few. It certainly didn't hurt sales when dealerships began selling Cadillac along side Chevrolet and Buick for example in one place. More foot traffic and a possible upsale to a Cadillac.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Phone: My landline lol
Trades: 6
SU$: 8,987
Sprint and Boost M2M with each other. Always have. VM is a real puzzler though. It almost seems like Sprint isn't making it a big priority to allow its customers to M2M with Sprint and Boost customers.

Virgin Mobile has no store base, and Boost stores are actually third-party dealers who carry an array of different brands (at least all the ones I've seen). And I've seen Boost and VM phones and plans at my local Sprint store, so what you've proposed has been implemented in at least a couple places.
VisionsDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Sprint is Sprint. Boost is Boost. Virgin Mobile is Virgin Mobile. The brands are separate and distinct. Sprint correctly does not muddy the waters between them. They are different marketing segments. Basic business strategy.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
JCAG10
Telegraph User

SU$: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to JCAG10
Mmmmmm,,,,,is not any mobile anytime free on sprint?????,,,,,,sprint charge calls to vm,boost???????
JCAG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
monkeyboy
(candy)bar hopper

Trades: 2
SU$: 50,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAG10 View Post
Mmmmmm,,,,,is not any mobile anytime free on sprint?????,,,,,,sprint charge calls to vm,boost???????
Not all Sprint plans include AMAT, and furthermore it is also about whether the prepaid party gets "free" M2M that works with Sprint postpaid.

As far as "basic business strategy", thats not really enough of an explanation. I'd love to see a solid quantitative analysis of why this Boost/VM but no Sprint-branded prepaid strategy works better for Sprint than having a true Sprint-branded prepaid offering that was a logical addn to the postpaid offerings (actually just an alternative in payment scheme), like most of the other carriers. The carriers obviously see no reason to copy Sprint in this regard. One clear disadvantage is the lack of marketing synergy between pre and postpaid, a definite inefficiency (more money spent).
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,882
at least we will always have sprint to nextel
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
As far as "basic business strategy", thats not really enough of an explanation.
It is the same rationale as Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, etc.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
monkeyboy
(candy)bar hopper

SU$: 50,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
It is the same rationale as Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, etc.
not quite parallel. Lexus is an upscale brand of Toyota, but they are both cars. Saying that Sprint *postpaid* is an upscale version of Boost *prepaid* really doesn't capture quite the all points of comparison. Indeed you can spend more on Boost than Sprint. And the prepaid vs postpaid issue is more about (or at least should be about) methods of payment, contracts and phone subsidies. More like leasing a car vs paying cash for a car upfront with no financing.

Anyways, as I said, I'd really like to see a solid, critical analysis of why Sprint not having a Sprint-branded prepaid service but instead having Boost and VM is actually a smart thing to do. It is not obvious and clearly no other carrier thinks it is worth copying.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
kidcymucks
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 142
Verizon has Page Plus

Quote:
not quite parallel. Lexus is an upscale brand of Toyota, but they are both cars. Saying that Sprint *postpaid* is an upscale version of Boost *prepaid* really doesn't capture quite the all points of comparison. Indeed you can spend more on Boost than Sprint. And the prepaid vs postpaid issue is more about (or at least should be about) methods of payment, contracts and phone subsidies. More like leasing a car vs paying cash for a car upfront with no financing.

Anyways, as I said, I'd really like to see a solid, critical analysis of why Sprint not having a Sprint-branded prepaid service but instead having Boost and VM is actually a smart thing to do. It is not obvious and clearly no other carrier thinks it is worth copying.
kidcymucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 6
SU$: 21,615
Quote:

Not an exact parallel, but the idea holds true. Sprint is the premium brand and Boost/VM are cheaper options. It would be like Lexus owning Toyota instead of the other way around. The main concept is branding.

Beer and soda companies figured out long ago that any brand will garner at least *some* market share. So they release multiple brands owned by the parent company. Some of that new market share cannibalizes other in-house brand share, but the rest of it comes at the expense of competitors. Sprint is doing the same thing with Boost and Virgin Mobile. Much like Anheuser-Busch with Budweiser, Michelob, Busch, etc. Each of those brands has won market share.
rambo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Dubspoon
Digital PCS User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: HTC ONE (M7)
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 10,274
I would rather the pre paids had m2m to each for the pay by minute and monthly bundled minutes.....
Dubspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Phone: My landline lol
Trades: 6
SU$: 8,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcymucks View Post
Verizon has Page Plus
Page Plus is a reseller. Boost and VM are wholly owned subsidiaries of Sprint. Verizon uses their own brand for their prepaid sector.
VisionsDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Other Carriers & MVNOs > Prepaid Wireless Services & PTT > Why no free M2M between Sprint, Boost & VM?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: