Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
monkeyboy
(candy)bar hopper

Trades: 2
SU$: 49,912
Android & Sero-P

Can someone remind me about the status of putting Android phones, new and old, on Sero-P ... and incurring or not the extra $10 data fee?

It used to be that you could put an LG Optimus S on Sero-P and not get the $10 data fee. Is that still true? Other phones of that ilk? not interested in 4G (for this line)...
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
starstrukk
live.laugh.lift

Mood: Inspired
Phone: iphone5time
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 6,408
apparently the last android phone to be able to get activated on SERO-P without the extra $10 data fee is the LG Marquee..
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 1,849
Go to www.sprint.com/sero. That will redirect to the EPRP site. On that page, there's a link to frequently asked questions. The 3rd question/answer says:

Quote:
I am an Everything Plus Messaging customer considering an upgrade and understand Everything Plus Messaging rate plans aren't compatible with all devices. What devices aren't compatible with these plans?

Everything Plus Messaging rate plans are not compatible with Smartphones. If you upgrade to a Smartphone you will need to upgrade your plan to an Everything Plus Data rate plan. All Smartphone activations will require an additional $10/line/mo. Premium Data add-on charge in addition to requiring the Everything Plus Data plan.
I am a SERO customer considering an upgrade and understand SERO Basic rate plans aren't compatible with all devices. What devices aren't compatible with these plans.
SERO Basic rate plans are not compatible with most Smartphones. If you upgrade to a Smartphone on one of the following operating systems: iOS, Windows Mobile 7, Blackberry, Android, Web OS and the Instinct family of devices you will need to upgrade your plan to a SERO Premium rate plan. Select smartphone activations also require an additional $10/line/month Premium Data add-on charge in addition to the SERO Premium plan, including all 4G smartphones and all smartphones launched after 10/4/11 such as the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Samsung Transform Ultra, Express from Sprint, Motorola Admiral, ZTE Fury and LG Optimus Elite.
The last sentence in that quote gives you the really bad news about 10/4/11. There's a link around here that covers SERO phones that won't have to pay the extra $10. I'm sure that list was produced after 10/4, therefore it will never change.
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
mrtimo
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 53
LG Marquee no longer

Apparently, Sprint no longer sells the LG Marquee! What is the best pure 3g phone now? Samsung Transform?

We have a business/corporate account that is similar to SERO... family plan. I'm thinking we should get the EVO LTE, sell it, then buy a used LG Marquee. What's the best place to sell the EVO LTE?
mrtimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
AkumaX
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtimo View Post
Apparently, Sprint no longer sells the LG Marquee! What is the best pure 3g phone now? Samsung Transform?
Still the LG Marquee
Quote:
We have a business/corporate account that is similar to SERO... family plan. I'm thinking we should get the EVO LTE, sell it, then buy a used LG Marquee. What's the best place to sell the EVO LTE?
I'm almost considering doing the same thing. I have a contract upgrade but don't really need it. Where to sell EvoLTE? Probably craigslist...
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: MoPho 4G
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 13,009
Cmon guys. Just man up and pay the extra $10 bucks/month. All this wheeling and dealing to try to get out of the $10 fee is ridiculous. If you were an Everything Plus plan customer you would have to pay the $10 fee on the LG Marquee. Just don't go to the movies or eat out once in that month and it pays for itself.

People think they would have to sacrifice huge to pay the $10 fee. We ALL have frivolous things that we spend things on that we just don't know it or don't want to admit it but it is those things that add up way more than the $10 fee.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
Cmon guys. Just man up and pay the extra $10 bucks/month. All this wheeling and dealing to try to get out of the $10 fee is ridiculous. If you were an Everything Plus plan customer you would have to pay the $10 fee on the LG Marquee. Just don't go to the movies or eat out once in that month and it pays for itself.

People think they would have to sacrifice huge to pay the $10 fee. We ALL have frivolous things that we spend things on that we just don't know it or don't want to admit it but it is those things that add up way more than the $10 fee.
  • Nobody in this thread is doing any "wheeling and dealing" to get out of anything.
  • Not going to the movies or eating out once a month might offset the $10 fee, but that's not the same as paying for itself.
  • Not all of us have frivolous things we spend on. Paying an extra $10/month for a service we don't want and/or can't use would be frivolous.
  • Man up in your own thread
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,804
ouch
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: MoPho 4G
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 13,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
  • Nobody in this thread is doing any "wheeling and dealing" to get out of anything.
  • Not going to the movies or eating out once a month might offset the $10 fee, but that's not the same as paying for itself.
  • Not all of us have frivolous things we spend on. Paying an extra $10/month for a service we don't want and/or can't use would be frivolous.
  • Man up in your own thread
The $10 data fee is not a 4G fee which is why you assume it is a service that you "can't" use. I get that it started off as a 4G fee but then it evolved into a smartphone premium data fee since smartphones use more data than dumbphones so that is why the $10 data fee is NOT frivolous. Unfortunately that stigma is ingrained into most customer's heads still that it is only for 4G phones even though the policy for the $10 data fee has already changed for over a year.

It never made any sense to me why an Everything Data customer who gets say the LG Marquee would have to pay the $10 data fee while a SERO-P customer who gets the LG Marquee who is already paying about half the price than an Everything Data customer for service is exempt from the $10 data fee. "Manning up" is not complaining when you are already paying 40% less ($70 vs $40 before any $10 data fee) per month than an Everything Data customer for the EXACT same service.

Who actually manned up was Sprint when they changed the $10 data fee policy for all smartphones for SERO-P customers last Oct. Sprint know that SERO-P customers would still stick around for service and convinced most customers to upgrade from SERO to SERO-P to pay $40/month.

To answer the OP's question the LG Marquee is the last phone that you can use on SERO-P without the $10 data fee.

Last edited by ericdabbs; 05-04-2012 at 09:23 AM.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
runnbike
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 415
Never understood why people think they should be grandfathered forever. Sprint doesn't owe you anything, and if you don't like it, leave and see what your bill looks like then. When network vision is done and your 3g speeds get a boost and your voice quality amd coverage improve, will you still balk? They invest all that money in redoing their entire infrastructure and people want to whine about the $10 fee?

It was a ridiculous argument then, and it still is now. Kudos to AT&T too for saying FU to grandfathered plans and facetime.
runnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
earglued
Telephone User

Phone: LG Marquee
SU$: 1,457
I've had Sero since day one. I have no guilt about "ripping Sprint off". Sprint made the decision to allow Sero users to upgrade and stay in the Sero-P program for $40.00 per month. I just bought a Marquee from a Sprint store that was a demo. It has no scratches and works perfectly.

I've had no dropped calls since I installed the April 2012 sw update. The only problem is battery life which has been resolved by turning off unused drains. I use Juice Defender and battery life has been greatly improved.

I like the Marquee and will upgrade when LTE hits northern Oh. Since you can downgrade plans you could get an LTE phone and use your upgrade, sell the phone, buy the Marquee and downgrade to basic SeroP at $40/mo.

To hear the complaining about those of us on Sero reminds me of the "sour grapes" parable.

If Sero is available why not use it. If Sprint wanted it dead it would kill it. Don't assign guilt to me by jealous posts.
earglued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
AkumaX
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnbike View Post
Never understood why people think they should be grandfathered forever. Sprint doesn't owe you anything, and if you don't like it, leave and see what your bill looks like then. When network vision is done and your 3g speeds get a boost and your voice quality amd coverage improve, will you still balk? They invest all that money in redoing their entire infrastructure and people want to whine about the $10 fee?

It was a ridiculous argument then, and it still is now. Kudos to AT&T too for saying FU to grandfathered plans and facetime.
Nice try, AT&T employee
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
earglued
Telephone User

Phone: LG Marquee
SU$: 1,457
I've had Sero since day one. I have no guilt about "ripping Sprint off". Sprint made the decision to allow Sero users to upgrade and stay in the Sero-P program for $40.00 per month. I just bought a Marquee from a Sprint store that was a demo. It has no scratches and works perfectly.

I've had no dropped calls since I installed the April 2012 sw update. The only problem is battery life which has been resolved by turning off unused drains. I use Juice Defender and battery life has been greatly improved.

I like the Marquee and will upgrade when LTE hits northern Oh. Since you can downgrade plans you could get an LTE phone and use your upgrade, sell the phone, buy the Marquee and downgrade to basic SeroP at $40/mo.

To hear the complaining about those of us on Sero reminds me of the "sour grapes" parable.

If Sero is available why not use it. If Sprint wanted it dead it would kill it. Don't assign guilt to me by jealous posts.
earglued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
runnbike
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
Nice try, AT&T employee
sorry to burst your bubble, but I manage a $30k/yr sprint account for work. i have two lines, a hotspot and tablet which cost me nada. so no sour grapes. no one faults you for riding the sero wave one bit. it's the constant whining and complaining when they tighten the noose a bit. you still enjoy lower rates than the new referral plans as well as the rest of the industry. you've been able to use newer tech phones with minimal price increases. the whining and complaining because of $10 here and can't use this phone is beyond old and annoying would think you'd be grateful they haven't dropped the hammer completely, but no. enjoy the ride. enjoy what they let you use on that ride and give it a rest. every phone, tech and deal forum has multiple sero threads with sero customers complaining about every restriction they have like you're actually entitled to keep sero until phones are implanted in your ears.
runnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
holysmoke
Telephone User

Phone: LG Optimus S
SU$: 1,226
last time I checked, they wanted $62.00 after taxes a month for faux 4G service from SERO customers

more like 2G speeds but who's counting

Last edited by holysmoke; 08-24-2012 at 04:40 PM.
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > Android & Sero-P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: