Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
RIM shows of Blackberry 10 for Next Gen Phone

Looks closely related to Blackberry Playbook, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The Playbook gets a bad rap, but it's not all that bad.

In a nutshell, I like what I am seeing so far.

Specs of Dev Alpha

4.2" touchscreen
1280 x 768 pixel resolution (approx 300 DPI)
SIM, microHDMI and microUSB ports
Volume Up / Down w/ a mute key in the middle
Power button and 3.5mm headset port
NFC
No physical keyboard
Quad-band HSPA radio
16GB internal storage
1GB RAM

And most importantly, Research In Motion’s future Operating System, BlackBerry 10 (BB10), does not look like a bad iOS clone. Imagine that. RIM's putting their own spin on things like MSFT with Windows Phone. That's the innovation this market needs.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4548...hands-on#image

Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
kg4icg
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 2,684
I know it isn't going to look like the development model but I am considering purchasing it when it becomes available on Sprint. The may make body changes and they still need to get some other things in it before releasing it, but what I have seen so far has me looking forward to it coming out.
kg4icg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4icg
I know it isn't going to look like the development model but I am considering purchasing it when it becomes available on Sprint. The may make body changes and they still need to get some other things in it before releasing it, but what I have seen so far has me looking forward to it coming out.
The dev unit looks like a good foundation to build on. A few tweaks to the case design and that device could easily be ready to ship.

And the software looks pretty impressive. I especially like the predictive text keyboard. I also don't see a hint of android like UI lag or chunkiness.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SU Forum app
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Pyramid-3
Account Locked

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 10,901
BB is starting to sound like the last horrifying gasps of Palm, isn't it?
Pyramid-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
jgill07
Telegraph User

Phone: BB Bold 9300
SU$: 271
BB 10 looks AMAZING. All reviews on it so far are raving. Even the apple guys like it. From the phone/1080p zoomable/focusable videocamera, to the fastest browser on any mobile device, to the supersmooth ui/fingerswipe gestures, to the insane keyboard/smart predictive text, to the NFC with visa, etc., etc., Blackberry 10 looks like a gamechanger.

NOW SPRINT NEEDS TO TELL US WHEN ITS GOING TO RELEASE THE BB10 PHONES ALREADY!!
jgill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
kg4icg
Walkie Talkie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill07 View Post
BB 10 looks AMAZING. All reviews on it so far are raving. Even the apple guys like it. From the phone/1080p zoomable/focusable videocamera, to the fastest browser on any mobile device, to the supersmooth ui/fingerswipe gestures, to the insane keyboard/smart predictive text, to the NFC with visa, etc., etc., Blackberry 10 looks like a gamechanger.

NOW SPRINT NEEDS TO TELL US WHEN ITS GOING TO RELEASE THE BB10 PHONES ALREADY!!
Blackberry's announcement is Wednesday, so we will find out.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
zeroxxx
Telegraph User

Phone: Blackberry Styl
SU$: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid-3 View Post
BB is starting to sound like the last horrifying gasps of Palm, isn't it?
I thought WebOS was a great step in the right direction, just an unfortunate victim of poor timing and lack of a business plan in the hands of HP.
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
jgill07
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
Blackberry's announcement is Wednesday, so we will find out.
I am well aware that BB10 explodes on the scene to destroy iphone/android on January 30th, but what I want to know is when SPRINT will be offering its handsets. There is no guarantee BB/Rim will be outlining the dates every single carrier will be offering the phones, because that is up to the carriers (and I believe there are hundreds of carriers worldwide that will be offering BB10 phones).

Also, some carriers in canada and elsewhere have ALREADY announced pre-orders or even websites where preorders are available: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-preorder/

Thus, LETS GO SPRINT! Please tell us when you will jump on board! I may have to jump OFF the sprint wagon if you dont, and I know friends who may jump on sprint's wagon if you can beat the other carriers! BB10 is THAT awesome. Believe it.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
FrankPCS
Telegraph User

Phone: BlackBerry Z10
SU$: 773
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill07 View Post
I am well aware that BB10 explodes on the scene to destroy iphone/android on January 30th, but what I want to know is when SPRINT will be offering its handsets. There is no guarantee BB/Rim will be outlining the dates every single carrier will be offering the phones, because that is up to the carriers (and I believe there are hundreds of carriers worldwide that will be offering BB10 phones).

Also, some carriers in canada and elsewhere have ALREADY announced pre-orders or even websites where preorders are available: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-preorder/

Thus, LETS GO SPRINT! Please tell us when you will jump on board! I may have to jump OFF the sprint wagon if you dont, and I know friends who may jump on sprint's wagon if you can beat the other carriers! BB10 is THAT awesome. Believe it.
Right? There are already rumors UK carriers will be selling after 5pm tomorrow. The US carriers seem less optimistic about BB10 at this point. Maybe once RIM has there huge launch presser tomorrow the 4 major carriers will say something more tangible. That's why I give Sprint the month of February to get the phone in my hands otherwise I'm off to Verizon. Also since leaked specs of the L-series phones have GSM/CDMA/LTE, please have a removeable SIM...thanks.
FrankPCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
motorpsycho67
Telegraph User

Phone: LG Lotus
SU$: 145
I'm looking forward to seeing how the new OS works. I had a Blackberry for about a month a few years ago and hated it. Hated the OS and the predictive text. Hope they give you the option to turn off predictive texting/auto-correct/spell check, etc.

I need a physical keyboard, so I'm glad they'll be offering one.
motorpsycho67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
jgill07
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho67 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how the new OS works. I had a Blackberry for about a month a few years ago and hated the OS and the predictive text. Hope they give you the option to turn off predictive texting/auto-correct/spell check, etc.

Most of the videos have dhown off the uniformly lauded new revolutionary touchscreen keyboard (and stored tendencies re: word use frequencies and smart predictive text [in between the keyboard keys]), so we dont really know how/whether those features will run on the keyboard version ('X10'). Im a button-pusher too, so Im also on the phys keyboard camp as well.

And FYI: Dude, BB has given users the option to turn off predictive text/spellcheck/autocorrect for YEARS and YEARS now. In fact, BB RECOMMENDS you shut them off if you dont like them to save battery life! Thus, Im 100% positive that BB10 will do the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgill07 For This Useful Post:
motorpsycho67 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
jgill07
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho67 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how the new OS works. I had a Blackberry for about a month a few years ago and hated it. Hated the OS and the predictive text. Hope they give you the option to turn off predictive texting/auto-correct/spell check, etc.

Have you seen any of the leaked youtube vids scooping all the features? here are just a few (there are a bunch): ENJOY:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...039/story.html

Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
FrankPCS
Telegraph User

Phone: BlackBerry Z10
SU$: 773
Looks like us in the US are stuck waiting till end of March while Canada and Europe are getting their phones now. I guess we can look at it as them being beta testers...lol
FrankPCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
kg4icg
Walkie Talkie User

This is where patience comes in handy. I can wait, no big deal.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
It would seem that the US carriers are not jumping to stock the latest BlackBerry,waiting to see if it is going to be a hit and have demand or a miss and the death of BlackBerry. Canadian carriers are likely getting the device on favorable terms, and hoping that customers will want to use it as it is "born in Canada."

I certainly hope BlackBerry succeeds with this device. I love competition, the more manufacturers and operating systems the better for me. I never liked the older BlackBerry devices, but it was the limited operating system and the tiny keyboard that did it for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: