Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
DoubleMsprint
Telephone User

SU$: 1,600
New 4G LTE phones, coverage and data speeds

I have a stupid question. I was in a Sprint store today and I asked an employee there with devices such as the Galaxy Nexus, LG Viper 4G LTE and the upcoming EVO 4G LTE if there isn't 4G LTE coverage in your area (which is the case for everyone right now) will regular 4G still work or will only 3G work. They said, "That's a very good question." but they weren't sure of the answer. They asked another Sprint employee and they said only 3G would work on these phones. That didn't make sense to me.

I am out of contract and I will either be staying with Sprint and getting a Galaxy Nexus or EVO 4G LTE or switching to AT&T to getting the Galaxy Note.

I just wanted to know if you currently live in a 4G area but not a 4G LTE area will these phones work at 4G speeds or only 3G speeds?

It seems stupid to sign a new contract and pay so much for a phone that is supposed to be so advanced that will only have 3G speeds until the 4G LTE network has rolled out. If that were the case, I would rather spend the extra money and switch to AT&T and get 4G LTE speeds on the Galaxy Note and deal with limited data plans.

Last edited by DoubleMsprint; 04-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.
DoubleMsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
hilker09
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Trades: 1
SU$: 6,521
I don't believe any of the LTE phones will be equipped to work on wimax, so you'll only get 4G when LTE is available.

Sent from my EVO 3D using SprintUsers Forum
Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour 9630, BB Curve 8330, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100
hilker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilker09 For This Useful Post:
DoubleMsprint (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
DoubleMsprint
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilker09 View Post
I don't believe any of the LTE phones will be equipped to work on wimax, so you'll only get 4G when LTE is available.

Sent from my EVO 3D using SprintUsers Forum
Thank you. I appreciate it. I knew the Wimax phones wouldn't work on LTE but I didn't know how it worked vice versa. I guess I have a serious decision to make soon. Who knows when they will have LTE in NY. Maybe I will just go to Metro PCS until Sprint LTE is available in NY. It's beyond stupid to be paying 90 bucks a month to have a LG Lotus.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
DoubleMsprint
Telephone User

Off topic but didn't want to start a new thread and take up more space. Has anyone who already got a Galaxy Nexus or LG Viper tried to call Retentions or got an offer from them to renew their contract? Do you think they will have special offers to keep current customers due to all the contract losses they have been experiencing and their tax problems? Or do you think that they will be strict because they are coming out with a lot of new devices?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: MoPho 4G
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 13,009
I'll assume when you mean by "regular 4G" to be Wimax. In that case I can answer you question and the answer is NO.... you will not be able to use Wimax when you get a LTE phone. They are incompatible technologies and Sprint has made it clear that they will only be making CDMA/LTE phones.

Currently only the Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper 4G LTE phones support LTE but the reason I think for the confusion by Sprint employees is that they are not allowed to advertise to customers that 4G LTE is live in markets like Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, etc which will be the first LTE markets in June since it has not been made official by Sprint.

In terms of NYC LTE deployment, I can say that it is underway. Here is an article that explains more about NYC LTE deployment.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/e...ionlte-market/

Also here is a list of the first and second round LTE markets

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/21...-running-list/

Hopefully this clears up your confusion.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericdabbs For This Useful Post:
DoubleMsprint (04-25-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
DoubleMsprint
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
I'll assume when you mean by "regular 4G" to be Wimax. In that case I can answer you question and the answer is NO.... you will not be able to use Wimax when you get a LTE phone. They are incompatible technologies and Sprint has made it clear that they will only be making CDMA/LTE phones.

Currently only the Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper 4G LTE phones support LTE but the reason I think for the confusion by Sprint employees is that they are not allowed to advertise to customers that 4G LTE is live in markets like Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, etc which will be the first LTE markets in June since it has not been made official by Sprint.

In terms of NYC LTE deployment, I can say that it is underway. Here is an article that explains more about NYC LTE deployment.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/e...ionlte-market/

Also here is a list of the first and second round LTE markets

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/21...-running-list/

Hopefully this clears up your confusion.
Thank you very much. Thanks for the links. I wasn't familiar with that site. Now I have another source.

I guess all my questions are answered about LTE and WiMax. Only question I still have is one I asked prior which was about retentions offers on LTE phones. I don't know if I should start a new thread or not or rename this one or what.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > LTE Rollouts / Upcoming Devices / Network Vision > New 4G LTE phones, coverage and data speeds

Tags
4g lte, data, evo lte, galaxy nexus, galaxy note

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: