Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Demand for Apple's iPhone 4S continues to grow 6 months after launch

For a product that was largely written off when it was introduced, the iPhone 4S is Apples more successful iteration of the iPhone.

No other brand of phone has come close to selling as many units, and it seems demand is not tapering off.

The only thing that will knock the iPhone 4S off the perch of best selling phone in the nation is the iPhone LTE.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/...-still-rising/

Quote:
Six months after its release, 56% of future smartphone buyers say they're getting Apple's

Click to enlarge.
The 4,413 consumers polled in ChangeWave Research's March survey are not exactly a representative cross-section of the buying public. They're primarily American (87%) and almost all early-adopter types. But as ChangeWave members they do tend to indicate which way the technological wind is blowing.
And according the bar chart above, it's blowing Apple's (AAPL) way. Despite growing competition and rumors that the company may be releasing a new model next fall, 56% of the respondents who plan to buy a smartphone in the next three months plan to buy an iPhone -- up 2 percentage points from the last survey, taken at the height of the holiday shopping season.
That 56%, research director Paul Carton notes, is the second highest his firm -- a division of 451 Research -- has ever recorded -- second only to a survey taken just before the iPhone 4S was launched last fall. (See chart below.)
In the same December to March period, Motorola's (MOT) demand in this group was down, Samsung's and HTC's were flat and Research in Motion (RIMM), against all odds, was actually up a point.

Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Mood: Twisted
Phone: AT&T NOTE3
My Mood: Twisted
SU$: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Euphorian
How much of these sales are because of functionality and not because its a status symbol or fashion accessory?

I know kids will run home to their parents and hound them for an iPhone because of the fact their friends have one.
Euphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,810
Does it matter?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
Does it matter?
Actually yes it does.

I just wonder what the numbers would be if the average consumer knew everything that both devices are capable of... ( or incapable of )

After talking to a lot of iphone owners-
They didnt even know what a widget was or how to use a micro SDcard.

All they knew is what thier friends told them.

All people want is what's easier for them.

Is the easiest way always the best way ?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
wBkM85
Cellular Phone User

Phone: AT&T iPhone 5
Trades: 10
SU$: 3,660
and this is why i've had an iPhone for 5 years...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
gopher_otis
Telephone User

SU$: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorian

Actually yes it does.

I just wonder what the numbers would be if the average consumer knew everything that both devices are capable of... ( or incapable of )

As you can see, I have several widgets and I also happen to know what a micro SD card is. Not all iPhone owners are the blind sheep that Android fanboys think we are.

Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w 0.9.10b6 jailbroken iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1174707924.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	43648  

Last edited by gopher_otis; 04-13-2012 at 11:55 PM.
gopher_otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
psychotron
Telegraph User

SU$: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorian View Post
Actually yes it does.

You just can't seem to grasp the fact that not everyone wants an Android phone. many people simply do not care if there are things Android does better or more efficiently. They want a phone with iOS that will integrate easily with iTunes and something that they are already familiar with. I have both an Android and an iPhone as well as an iPad. There are certain things I like better with iOS and certain things I like better in Android. But to ASSume that everyone who buys an iPhone is doing it only because they don't know any better is just flat out absurd.
psychotron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psychotron For This Useful Post:
gopher_otis (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wBkM85 View Post
and this is why i've had an iPhone for 5 years...
Demand for the i4S is strong for a couple of reason.

-People like yourself that have been long time users, and are very satisfied with the iPhone, and are happy repeat customers.

-i4S is now on 3 carriers. Demand was very high among those that had been without an iPhone for many years.

-i4S now being gobbled up by people who previously elected to get a Brand X smart phone and found the user experience and/or support to be so piss poor that they ran to the iPhone to get away from the nonsense.

-i4S is part of a larger, better implemented ecosystem. 50% of US homes have an Apple device, so getting an iPhone is a natural part of the Apple's Halo effect. Since Apple consumers tend to be happy with their purchase, they trust Apple to sell them other products.
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
xenadu
Telegraph User

Phone: iPhone 4S
SU$: 336
The halo effect is definitely real... The fact that you can pickup an AppleTV for $99 and then tap on your phone to send pictures, audio, etc to it is a big plus. The fact that it syncs with iTunes. The iCloud integration, etc.

Are these things first of their kind? No. But they are the easiest to use, so to people who are less technically inclined they might as well have been invented by Apple because it's the first time they are able to use such technologies.

Another big one is the apps... I still have apps that ran on my iPhone 3GS. If I go with android, there will be apps that I can't access anymore and I have to rebuy everything. The OS exclusivity factor is also heavily in iOS' favor - very few must-have apps are only on Android. With an iPhone I know I will get OS updates for a long time and I can bring all my apps with me.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: go enjoy your android phone. I don't care! Let us enjoy our Apple devices in peace. Most non-geeks just want something that works and a lot of them choose Apple. Deal with it.
xenadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Notice how hard it is to get actual sales numbers for other phones on other carriers.

Pretty easy for Apple because everyone is proud of the specifics. Other carriers will only tell you about units "shipped" which is not as meaningful.

Q1 Sales by carrier:

Sprint 1.5 Million iPhones
Verizon: 3.2 million iPhones
AT&T: 4.3 Million iPhones

Total iPhones sold the first quarter: 9 million. That's one quarter alone, in one nation.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotron

You just can't seem to grasp the fact that not everyone wants an Android phone. many people simply do not care if there are things Android does better or more efficiently. They want a phone with iOS that will integrate easily with iTunes and something that they are already familiar with. I have both an Android and an iPhone as well as an iPad. There are certain things I like better with iOS and certain things I like better in Android. But to ASSume that everyone who buys an iPhone is doing it only because they don't know any better is just flat out absurd.
IM not saying that everyone wants and needs an Android phone!

What I prove is that the crap Apple tries to pull is not right and is not as easy as it seems!
Not every consumer reads up on things like they should! Apple makes it seems Sooooo easy!
When in fact they make things much harder with ITunes!
Apple makes things pretty and attractive but when it comes to functionality and multi-tasking
they fail miserably!

I don't need any kind of software to make my device run-
and I can do it on the fly with no difficulties!

Ever try to make a ringtone on an iPhone?
That is a task in itself that no one needs and is not necessary!

Or ever try to load a movie on an IPod?

Not to mention the hypocrisy of apple!

Sent from a Galaxy Tab 10.1 from far far away!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,903
It makes sense that the 4s would be the most successful, as it was the 1st available on the 3 major domestic carriers. Most prospective customers means more possible sales. If apple were smart, they would make the iPhone available to everyone, t-mobile as well as the prepaid companies. Why should apple care as long as they are selling units and making profits?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Gary G. Little
Software engineer

Phone: iPhone 5
SU$: 6,558
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotron View Post
Plus, many have had Androids and moved to the iPhone with conscious intent to get away from failures evidenced in the Android /Linux platform. My personal experience near the end of my time with an Android was that I was having to remove apps because I was running out of application storage space. With the 4S, that has not been a problem and I have installed more apps on the iPhone than I installed on the HTC EVO.

In summary ... Widgets? I don't got's no widgets. I don't need no shhtinking widgets.
Gary G. Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
It makes sense that the 4s would be the most successful, as it was the 1st available on the 3 major domestic carriers. Most prospective customers means more possible sales
AT&T sold about 50% of the total, and they have had the iPhone since day one.

When looking at at total carrier activations, compared to iPhone sales, Brand X phone makers have dozens of models competing for scraps measured in hundreds of thousands, and no where near Apples millions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SU Forum app

Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Demand for Apple's iPhone 4S continues to grow 6 months after launch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: