Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,024
T-Mobile closing call centers.

T-Mo is closing a group of call centers to save cash and cut costs since DT is pretty much making them survive on its own. In the local news, the Denver area is losing one, so that's 441 jobs down the drain for our market.

T-Mobile USA closing call centers, cutting staff

Quote:
"T-Mobile USA is cutting 1,900 jobs, or about 5 percent of its workforce, as it closes seven call centers, and the company said it may cut more jobs in coming months."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82L17B20120322
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
JeffDTD
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Samsung EPIC
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 18,855
Send a message via AIM to JeffDTD
The thing I havent heard anyone mention is the correlation this has with the customer defections they have had.

JeffDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
legion125
Cellular Phone User

Good thought. T-Mobile said it was a cost saving measure. If because of streamlining operations or because of less need due to defections? I don't think they would publicize it that way with that type of negative connotation..
Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
JeffDTD
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Samsung EPIC
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 18,855
Send a message via AIM to JeffDTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion125 View Post
Good thought. T-Mobile said it was a cost saving measure. If because of streamlining operations or because of less need due to defections? I don't think they would publicize it that way with that type of negative connotation..
Nope, they wouldn't .

ATT's message to the FCC "Told you so!" is just really fleeting... it irritates me.

JeffDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,631
T-Mobile is doing what's best for them to remain a profitable company, or at least close to it. It does suck that people had to lose their jobs over it, but at least they are offering transfers to those who want it. That tells me that they're not out to cut every salary on their payroll...they're more likely trying to minimize overhead costs. If they can utilize these savings wisely, and make others where necessary, and also keep on schedule with their network plans, I think they'll be able to bounce back eventually.

AT&T's finger pointing at the FCC is definitely just a sign of their bitterness. Like the FCC pointed out, AT&T would have cut jobs if there merger had gone through, too, so their claims have no grounds.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49 View Post
T-Mobile is doing what's best for them to remain a profitable company, or at least close to it. It does suck that people had to lose their jobs over it, but at least they are offering transfers to those who want it. That tells me that they're not out to cut every salary on their payroll...they're more likely trying to minimize overhead costs. If they can utilize these savings wisely, and make others where necessary, and also keep on schedule with their network plans, I think they'll be able to bounce back eventually.

AT&T's finger pointing at the FCC is definitely just a sign of their bitterness. Like the FCC pointed out, AT&T would have cut jobs if there merger had gone through, too, so their claims have no grounds.
T-Mobile may have lost customers just on the fear of being under AT&T's rule in the short term. Many T-Mobile customers seemed to have had bad experiences with AT&T and didn't want to go back, so they switched carriers.

Couple that with no real "hot" phones being released as a T-Mobile exclusive, and T-Mobile being the only national carrier with no iPhone (likely because of the pending merger with AT&T) and the customer losses make perfect sense.

When you lose customers you need less employees. Closing a call center makes perfect sense financially, even if it hurts the workers. Corporations no longer work under the idea that you keep your employees even if business goes down. They used to do this for loyalty to the employee, as well as when the work market was very competitive for employers. With high unemployment T-Mobile knows it can staff any call center it may have to open in the future and will not retain staff waiting for business to improve.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
SU$: 14,538
Tmobile offering relocation is a nice positive spin on the reality that they are cutting so many jobs. Not many people are willing to relocate for a $30k job..(assumption)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23
Tmobile offering relocation is a nice positive spin on the reality that they are cutting so many jobs. Not many people are willing to relocate for a $30k job..(assumption)
I guess that would depend on the needs of the employee. Some single people may like the locations that they can transfer to, and feel that the wages being offered are the better of the options available.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SprintUsers Forum
Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
legion125
Cellular Phone User

Just reading an article in today's paper about the call center closings. A industry insider stated that for call centers in any segment, there is very little actual transfers due to it being more of a entry level job. Usually a small percentage actually takes the offer. Most just move on. I thought it would be a higher percentage.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion125 View Post
Just reading an article in today's paper about the call center closings. A industry insider stated that for call centers in any segment, there is very little actual transfers due to it being more of a entry level job. Usually a small percentage actually takes the offer. Most just move on. I thought it would be a higher percentage.
Nah. Like PokerFace23 said, not many people are going to relocate for a job at that level. There will be some, but most are just going to accept the severance package and look for a new job.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Other Carriers & MVNOs > T-Mobile closing call centers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: