Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Juice Defender Tips?

I have Juice Defender Ultimate, which I bought nearly a year ago and did little to nothing with. I'm not sure what benefit I got from the stock profiles and, when I customized my settings it tended to shut off everything including the phone, or not let me turn functions on when I needed them, unless I disabled JD first.

Now, I understand it supposedly learns. So I am trying it again, this time on my Motp Photon. I set my profile to customize, notifications to text, under settings I enabled mobile data and wifi. Under options set WiFi preferred and enabled location so it can, allegedly, learn when I am places where I use WiFi and turn it on. I set the schedule to periodically turn on data sync with a frequency of once an hour, and set my Nigh schedule to turn everything off between 2am and 7am. Under configure apps, I set all my data related apps to "enable", and all my non-data apps to "do nothing"

Tell me if I am correct about this...

I should turn on all my related wireless functions: 4G, 3G, and WiFi, then enable Juice Defender. And, if I have the customized functions set, these should be off until I open an app that needs them, correct? And, if WiFi is preferred, the unit should identify when I am near a WiFi connection that is familiar, and make it the primary data resource (correct?)

So...

How long after I close that app should the related wireless function stay open?

How do I know if Juice Defender is actually doing its job? When I open my phone, the 4G and WiFi icons are active up top. Wouldn't they be gone until I open an app, except for once an hour?

If there are some fool proof pointers, I would appreciate them.

Thanks!
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
DJRider
Former SU Mod Grampus Misfire

Mood: Pensive
Trades: 8
My Mood: Pensive
SU$: 101,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
I have Juice Defender Ultimate, which I bought nearly a year ago and did little to nothing with. I'm not sure what benefit I got from the stock profiles and, when I customized my settings it tended to shut off everything including the phone, or not let me turn functions on when I needed them, unless I disabled JD first.

Now, I understand it supposedly learns. So I am trying it again, this time on my Motp Photon. I set my profile to customize, notifications to text, under settings I enabled mobile data and wifi. Under options set WiFi preferred and enabled location so it can, allegedly, learn when I am places where I use WiFi and turn it on. I set the schedule to periodically turn on data sync with a frequency of once an hour, and set my Nigh schedule to turn everything off between 2am and 7am. Under configure apps, I set all my data related apps to "enable", and all my non-data apps to "do nothing"

I should turn on all my related wireless functions: 4G, 3G, and WiFi, then enable Juice Defender. And, if I have the customized functions set, these should be off until I open an app that needs them, correct? And, if WiFi is preferred, the unit should identify when I am near a WiFi connection that is familiar, and make it the primary data resource (correct?)

So...

How do I know if Juice Defender is actually doing its job? When I open my phone, the 4G and WiFi icons are active up top. Wouldn't they be gone until I open an app, except for once an hour?

Thanks!
I have used JD for almost all my Android phones and have had great success. I always turn everything on and then set up JD as you do to control wifi and 3g. When you first turn on your phone you sholud see no wifi or 3g on, then it kicks in. Read the JD help and it will show you the colored icons on JD that lets you know what status you are in.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRider View Post
I have used JD for almost all my Android phones and have had great success. I always turn everything on and then set up JD as you do to control wifi and 3g. When you first turn on your phone you sholud see no wifi or 3g on, then it kicks in. Read the JD help and it will show you the colored icons on JD that lets you know what status you are in.
Will JD turn 4g on and off, or is that a manual thing?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
Will JD turn 4g on and off, or is that a manual thing?

Thanks for all your help!
To be honest with you I have never used it on 4g since it is not available where I live. In theory though it is suppose to do that. Once you turn your phone on it takes a few seconds for JD to restart the services. I would try it and check and see what happens when you turn the phone on.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Two more questions...

If I turn on all the functions I want managed (3g, 4g, WiFi), then turn on JD, the icons for these functions will stay up on my top bar, but the JD shield will show symbols that indicate the degree of active wireless functions, correct? I find it difficult that JD doesn't also turn the function icons on and off.

Also, if I am training a new battery and have been instructed to drain and charge it 4 to 5 times, should I not use JD until I have trained the battery?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 1,849
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm hoping JD will improve battery life on my Epic 4G Touch. I just installed the free version. I enabled it with the balanced profile just to get a sense of what it does and how it works. I suspect that I'll eventually upgrade to Ultimate.
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm hoping JD will improve battery life on my Epic 4G Touch. I just installed the free version. I enabled it with the balanced profile just to get a sense of what it does and how it works. I suspect that I'll eventually upgrade to Ultimate.
Glad to help. It can get pretty involved with Ultimate and, for me, it's kind of like filling out tax software. I have to read each description in each section and figure out whether or not it matters to me, or possibly conflicts with something I have already done.

It does seem to work though, and, oddly enough, I am trying to figure out whether or not it is masking poor performance on the part of a generic extended battery that I purchased. Since, with the odd top off in the car, I didn't drop much below 80% yesterday by 1 or 2am this morning, and I play with my phone all the time.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
CtotheP
Telegraph User

SU$: 204
I'm trying to figure it out as well. I got "Ultimate" and set it to "Balanced". Everytime I unlock my phone it takes 5 minutes to get a data connection back. Any thoughts?
CtotheP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
polorala
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 15
I bought JD and did not like it at all. It actually made my phone run slowly. I dumped it a couple days and am out five dollars.
polorala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheP View Post
I'm trying to figure it out as well. I got "Ultimate" and set it to "Balanced". Everytime I unlock my phone it takes 5 minutes to get a data connection back. Any thoughts?
It shouldn't take that long for you to take get a connection. I get reconnected in about 5 seconds. You might want to send an email to the developer and see if he can help you with that issue you are having.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Mood: Twisted
Phone: AT&T NOTE3
My Mood: Twisted
SU$: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Euphorian
Longevity Battery Saver is better than Juice Defender !

Try it ! You`ll see !
Euphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorian View Post
Longevity Battery Saver is better than Juice Defender !

Try it ! You`ll see !
Downloading it now and giving it a test run, thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 1,849
My data connection normally restores quickly, but when I go from an elevator (no signal) it can take a very long time to recover. I thought I saw a data toggle w/in JD that might help, but didn't see it when I glanced through this morning (not much time). The comment along with the toggle said you shouldn't need it, and if you do to contact JD support.

I'll look into in more. I'm still on basic using balance mode.
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
StephenPenny757
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky

So...

Thanks!
In your setting turn off "enable connectivity when screen on" option and make sure your apps are configured and have "interactive" set so you can make your choice to enable your connectivity as soon as the app opens.
StephenPenny757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Juice Defender Tips?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: